• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AAC 7.62-SDN-6 Accuracy

Arbiter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2011
Tampa, FL
What sort of influence upon accuracy are people finding with the SDN-6s on their bolt action 308s? I'm less concerned with POI shift than I am with overall accuracy, so long as the shift is consistent - is it staying consistent each time? Other than the mounting issues mentioned in the other thread, are there any particular reasons why the 762-SDN-6 wouldn't make a good multi-platform suppressor for both precision bolt gun use, and semi-auto 5.56 and 7.62 carbine use?

Re: AAC 7.62-SDN-6 Accuracy

Mine should clear any time now, so I can't address it with any detail.

However, I had an 18tooth 762SD before this one, and it tightened the groups on my 20 inch barrel Rem 5R .308 by 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. It worked admirably, and never loosened during use. A buddy has another 18tooth 762SD that he uses on his Larue OBR with no problems.

I anticipate that the N6 will work just as well. The only variable is the 51 tooth mount can allow a little slop if you get just the wrong mount/can combo. The cure for that is to get your dealer to allow you to test several mounts and select one that is perfect for your can - latches just at the point when the mating surfaces meet. I tested the .30 cal brake mount that I have with my can (still at the dealer) and it couldn't be a better match. The 5.56 brake mount that I have allowed a little slop, so I'm going to either root through his pile of mounts and pick a better match OR polish the mating surface on my mount until I catch another tooth.

The vast majority of folks who own an N6 will tell you that the "mount slop" issue hasn't been a problem for them. If you encounter it (and you care/it matters to you) then it is fixable by "tuning" your mount or selecting a better matched mount.

Aside from that issue (non-issue?) I am confident that the N6 is going to be an excellent multi-cal can for precision and bullet-hoses alike.

Great info provided by chainring. I myself went with a TBAC 30-BA...the "slop" that has been mentioned killed it for me. Plus thunderbeast customer service has been second to none thus far.

My 762SD-N6 fits up very nicely to my mount. I am using the 51t muzzle brake. The can does not hurt accuracy at all, if anything it helped me tighten up my groups a bit. I dont really shoot groups unless I am running ladder tests with a new ammo/caliber combo. At distance it does just fine.

AAC did show off their new mounts at SHOT show this year. I was very impressed. Going to a new locking system and 91t ratchets.

Mine are "fitted". No slop. Multishot strings @ 700 (15-20 rounds of 6.8SPC) are close to equal. However, my best performances have been suppressed, so I give the can the edge.

Typically my rifle will group about .4 MOA for 5 rounds at 100 yards, so I'm not expecting nor hoping for an improvement in accuracy - I just want to know that it's not going to be a detriment, or shift POI from session to session. My biggest fear right now is that having a smith thread my barrel will hurt the accuracy somehow from poor work.

Anyone have any idea what influence they're seeing upon muzzle velocity from a 308? Any gains to be had from the suppressor, or is it staying pretty consistent?

I understand your apprehension regarding the threading part.Good accurate and consistent guns are hard to find, and I try hard to avoid messing with something that works. However, I guess you can always have it "redone", if results aren't great the first time - provided your not dealing with a borderline barrel length like 16.25 inches.
POI shifts are usually much less problematic with short and stiff barrels, hence my love for SBR's.
If your can locks up tight POI shift variability shouldn't be a problem, but..."shouldn't" is a mighty big word!

I know you were asking about bolt guns, but my MEGA MA-TEN (.308) had about a 1/4 mil POI shift (down). It has been very repeatable. I also picked up 20 FPS velocity.

There are plenty of gunsmiths/company's on this sight that can thread your barrel. I have had good results from GAP and Short Action Customs.