• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AAC 7.62SD (PING!!!!!!!)

Re: AAC 7.62SD (PING!!!!!!!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wdebo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a AAC 7.62sd with the 51 tooth muzzle brake mount and mine does not ping at all. So the ping noise is just cause by the mount? </div></div>

AAC 3 prong design acts like a tuning fork, introduce energy in to it and it will ring substantially. It is subdued with a supressor on it somewhat. I absolutely hate the flash hiders, in fact I machined the prongs off one and just use it for a supressor QD mount. The ringing is asinine.

The flashhider creates the tuning fork ping it's how it suppresses flash. Use the breakout or brake only mounts and this issue goes away.

The tuning fork sound drives me nuts with plugs and muffs - like a dentists drill to my skull. I'd never mount a flashhider like that to any of my firearms - they do suppress flash well though.

Like the poster above, for my .300 Fireball it made no sense to use a brake, so I had the prongs machined off and use it to index and attach my 762 SD.

Zero ring on my POF 308, but my brother has one on a 5.56 and it rings like hell. It's on a standard contour free floated 16" middy. His previous rifle was a heavy barrel 16" middy with standard handguards and FSB and it rang a lot less when it was on that rifle, we barely noticed it till he switched it to the new upper.

With his new upper it rings when dry firing, closing the bolt, whatever. I think if you shake it real hard it starts ringing.

I have all 3 AAC mounts, 1 BO on the 300 AAC 9" BO upper, 1 half brake on a Spike's 10.5" 5.56 upper, and the full brake on my .308 bolt gun. I can say I have never noticed a ringing and have gone back through videos and dont hear it either. Why would some do it and others not? Is it the caliber and/or load pressure that plays into the ringing? Am I lucky, or am I just deaf?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DarkD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have all 3 AAC mounts, 1 BO on the 300 AAC 9" BO upper, 1 half brake on a Spike's 10.5" 5.56 upper, and the full brake on my .308 bolt gun. I can say I have never noticed a ringing and have gone back through videos and dont hear it either. Why would some do it and others not? Is it the caliber and/or load pressure that plays into the ringing? Am I lucky, or am I just deaf?</div></div>
I think you may be deaf...
shocked.gif

All the BO FH I have handled will work as tuning forks just by tapping them with your finger nail.
This does diminish a bit once they get about 1000 rounds worth of fouling on them, but it is still there.

Bottom line, If you want the performance of a BO FH, you deal with the ping.
If it bothers you that much, there are plenty of other solutions out there.
I ended up running a BO (NON-Mount) FH on my 5.56 upper because it was a better fit on my SRT Typhoon with the Atlas Universal Mount.
It just locks up to that suppressor much better.
FWIW, after being fouled, the BO FH no longer pings when the suppressor is mounted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Bottom line, If you want the performance of a BO FH, you deal with the ping.
If it bothers you that much, there are plenty of other solutions out there.

</div></div>

Sadly, If you have an AAC QD can and want a flash hider, there aren't any other options readily available...

The blackout flash suppressor pings. I have heard that if you machine one of the tines down a bit it kills the ping, but I prefer the blackout break anyway. I am not concerned with hiding flash. If I am ever in a situation where my flash signature is an issue I will be shooting suppressed....

Funny that nobody notices it on Vortex flashhiders. I spun one of those on a 20 inch Rem 700 .223 LTR and it REALLY rang. Bolt guns are more effective at inducing ring, though, somehow.

I have AAC Black Out mounts on 3 different AR's and they all ping. Just dropping the bolt makes it ping. That said it does not effect accuracy and doesn't really bother me. My Rem 700 AAC SD has the Brake Out adapter and it does not ping.

I saw a video of one of the guys from silencerco talking about one of their three pron saker mounts. he said they made the prongs staggered in length and this did away with the ping. something to do with making it less like a tuning fork. I suppose this might hurt your flash suppression, but you could just put your can back on for that. silencerco would probably have some info on this topic