• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AAC 762 SDN6 for use with a 300 Win Magnum?????

MindCrime

Banned !
I have a AAC 762 SDN6 Suppressor that I have used on some .308 caliber rifles with great results. Now are these things built tough enough to be used on the more powerful 300 Win Magnum? The rifle in question is a bolt action with a 26.5" Heavy barrel. Has anyone tried their AAC 762 SDN6 on a 300 Win Magnum for shits and giggles?

I've read where a few folks did use it on a 300 wm, but I would not advise to do so. The pressure is significant and AAC states that it is not rated up to 300 wm. I have a 762 sd n6 and a cyclone. I will never use either on my 300 wm. I ordered a titan ti for my 300 wm. Yeah it sucks on the wait time, but I will have no doubt in my mind that I will not potentially cause severe damage to any of my rifles. They cost way too much to take chances for me.

I have not tried it but I bet it would be ok on 26"+ barrels.

AAC told me the following when I asked about other calibers through my SDN-6:

Same bullet diameter or lower, same powder load (or was it chamber pressure?) or lower.

You're good on the first one, and not even close on the second one. Don't do it. If you blow up your can, you will have a $1200 paper weight.

^^^^^ This +1. Do not do it. And I have always found the guys at AAC helpful and responsive. Always ask if there is any doubt at all. If anything, err on the side of caution and go with a can that is rated higher than needed. I use a 762-SDN-6 on 300BO. For 308 I use a MK13-SD, and so on. This gives peace of mind and should make for very long suppressor life. Be safe.

Last edited:
Go to the web site "silencer shop." It will tell you if its compatible or not. But, yes I think it is and you want beable to tell hardly any difference between the 308Win. vs. 300Win. mag, when it comes to sound and the human ear. Now if they say it isn't made for it, then all warranties will be void if you blow it up. But, a lot of people use suppressors on larger guns than what its made for, """ Only If The Barrel Is Of A Certain Length!!!!" If a barrel is long enough, the pressures will hit the baffle with less "sudden impact," will call it. People say pressure, but if you think about it, where would the pressure go? How would it decrease if it can't escape? It may just be more evenly dispersed, in stead of so traumatic, if you think about it. "I would really like to know myself."

Last edited:
Go to the web site "silencer shop." It will tell you if its compatible or not. But, yes I think it is and you want beable to tell hardly any difference between the 308Win. vs. 300Win. mag.

Do not listen to this advice. This is from Silencer Shop:

"The 762-SDN-6 also functions as a superb multi-caliber suppressor for multiple hosts, providing excellent performance on 7.62 NATO, 300 AAC, 6.8 SPC, 6.5, and 5.56mm NATO."

Which is exactly what AAC states on their site. If you have any doubt please give AAC a call at 770.925.9988.

Go to the web site "silencer shop." It will tell you if its compatible or not. But, yes I think it is and you want beable to tell hardly any difference between the 308Win. vs. 300Win. mag, when it comes to sound and the human ear. Now if they say it isn't made for it, then all warranties will be void if you blow it up. But, a lot of people use suppressors on larger guns than what its made for, """ Only If The Barrel Is Of A Certain Length!!!!" If a barrel is long enough, the pressures will hit the baffle with less "sudden impact," will call it. People say pressure, but if you think about it, where would the pressure go? How would it decrease if it can't escape? It may just be more evenly dispersed, in stead of so traumatic, if you think about it. "I would really like to know myself."
If you think about it, the combustion volume of the area behind the bullet increases as the bullet travels down the bore. Given a fixed volume of gas behind the bullet (generated by the burned/burning powder), that means that as the bullet travels down the bore the pressure behind it decreases.*

To take it to an extreme, imagine firing, say, a .22LR round in a barrel that is 10 feet long; it's entirely possible that the bullet wouldn't even make it out of the bore. Why? Because at some point, the pressure behind the bullet would no longer be sufficient to overcome the friction of the bullet against the bore in addition to the pressure in front of the bullet. Another example, outside of the firearms arena, would be a piston engine... what happens when ignition timing is calibrated such that the spark is fired after the piston reaches top dead center? Power goes down (among other things, like EGTs and emissions going through the roof) because as the fuel/air mix is igniting, it is expanding into a combustion space that is increasing in volume as the piston moves down the bore away from the cylinder head. The means that combustion pressure acting against the piston is MUCH lower (and therefore so is the force with which the piston is forced down the bore) than if the ignition timing were calibrated to begin the combustion process while the piston was still traveling UP the bore during the compression stroke (there are a number of issues here that complicate this, of course, but for the sake of this example we'll stick to the basics of it). Another example would be tires... let's say that you have a bicycle tire inflated to 35 psi. You then suck all the air out of that and put it in a truck tire... that truck tire won't inflate at all. Why? The difference in volume between the bicycle tire and the truck tire.

*I'm certain that there are moments, in the beginning microseconds of the firing process, where this isn't necessarily true. However, when the process is looked at as a whole...

I would also say no, too much pressure. End cap would flare outward. Plus a crap load of carbon through the mounting threads, might lock it up on you.
Suggest buying a magnum can such as a titan or other 338 rated can. Sucks but thats the game.

Jesse James

No way! Mers does state that the cyclone can be used with a 7mm mag on aac's video blog (there was a barrel length stipulation though). But the win mag pressures are too high.

Use it as an excuse to get another can!
That's what I did....30p-1