• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AAC BLACKOUT rifle - should we do .260 Rem?

Re: AAC BLACKOUT rifle - should we do .260 Rem?

A 6.5mm is better for the case size for general long range target use than .243.

I believe .260 is the best round for this application. The more sales part is already being taken care of by also offering it in .308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am listening and will try to add a McMillan A5 and a DBM that takes AI mags - and then maybe delete the fluting on 20 inch model to help control cost. How many people consider the fluting something that is important to them? It is not an even trade of course and the actual street price (which it not yet known) will go up. </div></div>

Would the DBM w/AI mags option be available fo the .308 as well? I really like what you are doing with this project.

I can build a custom "bells and whistles" gun for around the $2K mark. The attraction to this one for me is a fairly light and simple gp rifle for around $1500. Basically, I want a gun like the Rem 5R chambered for .260 Rem. I definitely want the knob, threaded bbl, and 20MOA rail. An option for the DBM would be great. Anything above the $1500 mark makes it less attractive relative to a full-custom.

If there ends up being a DBM it would be on both of them.

I had the 700 5R SS on my "to buy" list until this news came out. For me, this was the most exciting product to come out of SHOT. I will patiently wait for this one for sure.

If I were to go with the 5R SS, I would thread the barrel for a suppressor. The fact the Blackout is already threaded might be the most important thing to me. I also like the integrated rail, knob, and blacked out finish (I'm not big on the 5R SS finish, but the barrel performance wins over aesthetics). I know this won't be the most "hot shit" precision rifle on the market, but for a new guy like myself looking for a first rifle to grow into, it's perfect for me.

As far as fluting goes - as mentioned before, it would add to the aesthetics. I'm not sure if I would truly benefit from any weight savings, but I would appreciate the look for sure, so why not? I place a lot of value on overall craftsmanship and beauty of a firearm. Others strictly focus on them as tools for the fight, which I absolutely can't blame them for. I think it should be the baseline option for the Blackout to help set it apart more from the other versions (AAC Edition).

Rem .260? I've always been in line for a 308, so I could care less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZOMBIE101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">McM A1-3 would be a better choice over the McM A5 </div></div>

+1

No input beyond what's already been said, but I like the direction y'all are going with this.

.260 remington with 22-24 inch threaded barrel. Skip the fluting. Drop it in a McMillan A1-3, add a quality DBM that uses AICS mags. Forget the rail, we can add that. Im impartial on the bolt knob, probably skip it to save money.

One last request....make sure the QC is extra high on the team doing the barrel threading.

I love my Remmy's, but the teams working the jigs for scope mount holes did piss poor QC on tapping, cleaning and being offcenter with the SPS Varmints and Tacticals within the last year or so, even worse in some cases on the return fix. Fixable in many cases, but introduce NFA items into the mix and it's a quick way to a lot of big problems for customers and the company.

The rifle is nice and all, but the real question is if its going to have a lawyer proof chamber/throat/lead like all other Rem rifles, if so, I would never buy one.

Oh, and I happen to like the bolt knob.

This sounds like a great project! I can see myself buying one in .260 - particularly with an A-5 (non-adjustable) stock - or in .223 with a 1-7 5R barrel. Here's the rest of my .02:

1. Use a good barrel like the 5R but cut it to 20" or 22" at the most even for .260 (a longer barrel with a can mounted gets pretty unweildy). I love the way an LTR handles and planned to thread my .308 LTR for a can later this year.

2. As for flutes - they look cool on the LTRs, but I have only had 1 of my 3 custom tactical rifles fluted and now regret that. At 24" for a .308 I want to chop it down and thread it, but the fluting will not permit that. If fluting adds anywhere near $100 to the cost, I would drop it and apply the dollars saved to the stock or bottom metal.

3. Personally, I like the bottom metal that uses the AICS detachable mags. Otherwise I would keep the same inlet as for standard Remmy's to hold down the cost, and try to get stronger bottom metal in that pattern.

Remmington definitely needs to come out with a qualty match round to make the most of this project. A really slick bullet, like the 139 Scenar, loaded to the same velocity as their 140 Corlokt .260 round and with a tight ES should do the trick nicely. I don't see the need for another hunting round when they already have the 140 grain now, but I am admittedly not a hunter. Although I enjoy reloading, I bought a case of .260 Black Hills match ammo from GAP a few years back just to have on hand for times I couldn't reload before a match. I would buy Remmy match ammo in .260 if it was available and priced competitively.

Good luck with the project! I look forward to seeing what comes out of this!

should come in way less than $1500 for it to be attractive. Considering a guy could have one built to his specs for ~$1400 for a donor action, ss barrel installed, and McMillan stock.

This is what someone might have to pay to build one with a similar configuration using common parts:

Remington 700 - $600
McMillan A5 stock - $500 - 35 week lead time.
Target bolt knob installed $120
Scope Base: $85
416R 5-radius barrel installed $500
Thread job: $150
DBM system: $330
IonBond or similar PVD finish $350
---
$2635.

Don't forget the part about making the MSR chassis an option! Or just start selling the branded chassis through AAC?
smile.gif

The MSR chassis won't be an option for these but I expect the chassis to be for sale as soon as they catch up with prior obligations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The MSR chassis won't be an option for these but I expect the chassis to be for sale as soon as they catch up with prior obligations.</div></div>

HECK YES!!!

Honestly, not to piss in anyone's Wheaties, but why not just say here is the 2, 3 or 4 options you have tor the rifles as far as levels go ($800, $1200, $1500, $2000) with the listed spec and not worry about satisfying everyone, as you wont be able to.
I Would be interested in the rifle as originally offered with the flutes and threading, If I wanted a complete custom gun built the way I wanted a gun built I wouldn't be buying a factory gun.

What is more important if only one were possible - DBM system with HS stock or McMillan stock with no DBM?

Personally, I like the HS stock so I would take the bottom metal IF it takes AICS mags.

If it ends up with DBM it will be for AICS mags.

Hi Robert,

These would be very popular in Kansas in both .260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor. My customer feedback shows more people going to 6.5 Creedmoor or .260 Rem for distance shooting.

Thanks for asking for our input.

Take care,
Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I like the HS stock so I would take the bottom metal IF it takes AICS mags. </div></div>

+1 My 700PSS and 700LTR shoot just fine in their factory HS stocks. Of the two options, I'd also prefer the AICS bottom metal, particularly with a 20" barrel and LTR stock.

However, I would be happy enough with the A5 stock and no DBM - either way its a step above the standard factory rifle setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is more important if only one were possible - DBM system with HS stock or McMillan stock with no DBM? </div></div>

HS w/DBM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
This is what someone might have to pay to build one with a similar configuration using common parts:

Remington 700 - $600
---
$2635.
</div></div>
Where did you get these numbers?
I can get a rem 700 5r for 1050$ roughly
sell the hs 5r stock for 200$
850$
A5 stock, 12-16 week lead time.500$
Just got my A4 in after 10 wk's....
Similar knob installed by Az precision 75$ (diff. choices on bolt knob)
Scope base around 85$
thread job 125$
DBM 330$
Birdsong Black -T finish would be my choice and you can get the rifle coated for 185$ I believe.
Thats less then 2200$ for bassicly the same rifle w/ a superior finish.

Black-T is spray on and very nice, but a PVD finish such as IonBond finish is $350 and over 70 on the Rockwell C scale.

Does the Pvd coat the inside of the action, firing pin, all parts that make up the action? If it does then I guess Birdsong finishes has met their match.

Why not just expand on the 5R line? Offer different barrel lengths, twists, cals, threaded barrels and don't bother with a coating to keep the cost down. That way guys could customize as they see fit. That way everyone wins.

260 rem. 24 inch tube I'll take two.
HS stock is fine will keep the cost down so those that want to go with a better one can with out shelling out a lot of clams
Leave the bolt stock and the rail off.

Hurry up,L

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greybeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I work for AAC. AAC and Remington are Freedom Group companies. We saw a need for a fast-twist pre-threaded rifle so am making it happen. I am showing it here because I know if something is mis-configured, people here will catch it. This will be sold through normal Remington distributors.

</div></div>
1 Vote here for the home removable bolt knob.
And a vote for the bottom metal for removable mags, like the LE .338 on a short action. Make the arm more "modular" like the AR15, metal chassis system as upgrade? then you get interchangable buttstock, forearm and handgrip. Barrell nut like a savage, or mossberg, home change barrell configuration, can we say aftermarket revnue, I mean support???
The have it your way rifle. And each part of the Rem family of companies have all the parts to start with at rollout, then you buy the action like a AR lower, then "custom build" the rifle the way you want it.
Factory builds for any application with off the shelf parts for lower bid process, Miltary, Law Enforcement, varmit, target and any way the public wants. </div></div>
Further thoughts here, bolt action based on the R25 (or the R15) lower with a bolt action upper, uses the same barrel, diffrent, three lug bolt and barrel extension, headspaced to be interchangable (headspaced like the AR family), carrier. Interchangable parts line from the AR family .

260 with a tactical bolt and 24 inch threaded barrell???? I'd buy one in a heartbeat!!!!!

The rifles take a while to produce due to lead times with stocks and other items. Is there interest in Remington hammer-forged 5-Radial .308 and/or .260 barrels 416 stainless, unfluted, unfinished but factory threaded with thread-protectors?

I believe they would have to be short-chambered and would require a reamer, barrel vise, and a set of headspace gagues to install them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greybeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greybeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I work for AAC. AAC and Remington are Freedom Group companies. We saw a need for a fast-twist pre-threaded rifle so am making it happen. I am showing it here because I know if something is mis-configured, people here will catch it. This will be sold through normal Remington distributors.

</div></div>
1 Vote here for the home removable bolt knob.
And a vote for the bottom metal for removable mags, like the LE .338 on a short action. Make the arm more "modular" like the AR15, metal chassis system as upgrade? then you get interchangable buttstock, forearm and handgrip. Barrell nut like a savage, or mossberg, home change barrell configuration, can we say aftermarket revnue, I mean support???
The have it your way rifle. And each part of the Rem family of companies have all the parts to start with at rollout, then you buy the action like a AR lower, then "custom build" the rifle the way you want it.
Factory builds for any application with off the shelf parts for lower bid process, Miltary, Law Enforcement, varmit, target and any way the public wants. </div></div>
Further thoughts here, bolt action based on the R25 (or the R15) lower with a bolt action upper, uses the same barrel, diffrent, three lug bolt and barrel extension, headspaced to be interchangable (headspaced like the AR family), carrier. Interchangable parts line from the AR family .
</div></div>

This would be crazy awesome!!

.260, threaded muzzle, and DBM for me. I say the cheapest stock with an aluminum bedding block, HS or B&C. The high end stock buyers want a stock just how they want it, never going to make them all happy.

None of the other options are deal makers or breakers for me.

I do plan to include the scope base. I want to use 8-40 screws (6-48 is normal). If you buy a typical scope base the dainty screws won't fit and the larger screw may not even fit through whatever base you buy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CJS10mm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Honestly, not to piss in anyone's Wheaties, but why not just say here is the 2, 3 or 4 options you have tor the rifles as far as levels go ($800, $1200, $1500, $2000) with the listed spec and not worry about satisfying everyone, as you wont be able to.
I Would be interested in the rifle as originally offered with the flutes and threading, If I wanted a complete custom gun built the way I wanted a gun built I wouldn't be buying a factory gun. </div></div>

What he said.

Remington 700 - $600
---

Again, if I want a $2600 custom, I'll build one. Options are GREAT, but keep the base rifle similar to a 5R ($1000) with a big knob ($75), M1913 rail ($85), and AICS DBM ($300) and you've got an instant $1500 winner that a guy can customize as he wants.

Start with the barrel at 24" because you can always cut is shorter, but it's damn hard for a guy to make it longer.

There is no end to the options and preferences we all have. What I'm describing is the solid foundation from which the most options can be sought. I'm all for you having as many options as you want to inventory, but the base has to be there first.

Ditch the bolt knob. Not a fan. Looks tacky.

Some people on another forum are unhappy that the barrel is too long at 20 inches and are insisting it be 18 and 1:9 twist (in .308).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some people on another forum are unhappy that the barrel is too long at 20 inches and are insisting it be 18 and 1:9 twist (in .308).

</div></div>

A little advise from experience, you can take it or leave it, don't try and make everyone happy, it's not going to happen and you will just make yourself nuts.

Not everyone is going to like what you offer, so be it, if someone wants it built their way they can order a custom, this isn't Burger King one can't always have it their way when it comes to group buys or one off builds.

If you're offering a package deal then set the specs, stick with it, and move on. If you are going to bend and offer everything under the sun to make everyone happy you might as well open up a custom shop and start taking order.

Just my $.02 for experience.

18" barrel is a good thought considering everyone with a sps tactical is not going to buy another 20" remy. I would buy the 18 before the 20.