• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AAC cyclone is the wrong thread pitch.

shawn_40312

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2005
Beattyville, Ky
Just went and picked up my AAC cyclone and came back disappointed. I requested M18x1.0RH thread and what i have will not even thread on. I believe they sent me one for 5/8x24. Anyone else experienced this? What can be done to the silencer or the rifle (Blaser R93 LRS2 with fluted barrel)

Re: AAC cyclone is the wrong thread pitch.

OR...just buy my Blaser and have the barrel threaded 5/8x24!!!
It was worth a try
smile.gif

Is it possible to have a fluted barrel cut 4" and re threaded? The fluting would probably look like shit but....

ohhh

that isnt good, bad news i dont think change the pitch/threads on that can without having a new tube, and the tube has the serial number so that mean a new tax stamp

i would contact the compay, they should handle it for you

i had a instance in an acc can, they stepped up and exceeded my expectations for me

good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shawn_40312</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just went and picked up my AAC cyclone and came back disappointed. I requested M18x1.0RH thread and what i have will not even thread on. I believe they sent me one for 5/8x24. Anyone else experienced this? What can be done to the silencer or the rifle (Blaser R93 LRS2 with fluted barrel) </div></div>

In the future, when buying a can, check it on the rifle/pistol before sending the F4. Dealers make mistakes when ordering too. If you catch it while it is still on a F3, you can send it back with no loss of $200 taxes.

if you cant exchange the can due to serial numbers, then a good smith can modify the can. chuck it up and drill/mill out the threads, tig weld in a bushing/insert of appropriate metal and thickness and re-thread. thats gotta be better that trying to modify the barrel. i always modify the least expensive item. any good smith or machinist should be able to do this for a nominal fee.

I would definately call AAC before I went to cutting on my barrel, especially since the barrel re-thread isn't a no-brainer deal. I believe that the company could reissue another tube with the same serial number so that the Forms won't need to be refiled. Call the maker before you get too excited about it.

Didn't the ATF just slap some people on the hand for this?

I know they slapped hands for repairing or replacing other companies suppressors and putting the original markings from the other company.

It was my understanding anything that required the tube to be replaced required a stamp.

I have been wrong thousands of times in my life though so I'm eager to hear what others have to say.
wink.gif

Yeah, my bad, just read through the ATF ruling on it:

Replace Outer Tube

It doesn't mention if the original company does the repair or replacement, but it makes it pretty clear that there will be another $200 transfer fee. Good thing it looks like it wouldn't need to go through a dealer just straight to the individual.

Dave

Has this been resolved? I am curious as to how it was fixed. Did aac change the threads or is shawn going to have to shell out another $200 because it is already registured?
skog

If worse comes to worse and you've exhausted the options mentioned, talk to TrosUSA or Tornado Tech and see if they can make you a threaded adapter. I've had Mark @ Tros make me a few adapters for thread pitch conversions and his adapters are excellent.

It shouldn't be too difficult since both are RH threads.

You could always have an adapter made for about $50

+1 on the thread adapter; long enough to thread onto your barrel and into the can with a freebore; should solve your problem easily.

Some quick math (might be wrong) but M18.0x1.0 minor diameter is greater than 5/8x24 major diameter by about .035". If this is true, then you could center the can in a lathe and cut new threads in the can.

skog

It looks like AAC is going to have Tornado tech turn down the barrel threads to the proper pitch. My only other option was to start all of the paperwork back over again with a new can and i wasnt going to do that.

Well heres another case where AAC screwed somebody, when will you people learn not to do bussiness with them, get a thread adapter, 5/8-24 is a much better thread to have, why because it will thread onto alot more weapons, the metric shit is just that for us AMERICANS, you have a nice rifle, but chances are you will buy another rifle from a custom manufacture, or a bunch of rifles, but I bet you keep that can for life, 200 bucks can never be recovered in the sale of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well heres another case where AAC screwed somebody, when will you people learn not to do bussiness with them, get a thread adapter, 5/8-24 is a much better thread to have, why because it will thread onto alot more weapons, the metric shit is just that for us AMERICANS, you have a nice rifle, but chances are you will buy another rifle from a custom manufacture, or a bunch of rifles, but I bet you keep that can for life, 200 bucks can never be recovered in the sale of it. </div></div>

I fail to see how AAC screwed the OP. They are trying to make it right without forcing the OP to go through another transfer. Obviously he does not want an adapter. Mistakes happen. Thank Gemtech for the ATF rule requiring an additional transfer for a different tube with the same SN.

If you want to avoid the adapter at all cost, that's your decision to make. However I believe having 5/8x24 threads is more versatile since the majority of muzzle attachments/barrels are threaded in that thread pitch.

I'd rather get an adapter made then modify your barrel. That'd also be easier if your barrel was fluted. I believe you had a post asking about cutting down/thread a fluted barrel, so I just assumed it was because of this issue.

I also fail to see how AAC directly screwed the OP. If his dealer ordered the correct can, then AAC is at fault for sending the wrong pitch can. However, that could have been easily resolved had the dealer/OP check the threads when it's still on the F3. If the dealer made the mistake of ordering the wrong pitch, well then it's his dealers fault. Either way, what's done is done. AAC is helping the OP with options to resolve this without forcing another transfer on him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock63</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well heres another case where AAC screwed somebody, when will you people learn not to do bussiness with them, get a thread adapter, 5/8-24 is a much better thread to have, why because it will thread onto alot more weapons, the metric shit is just that for us AMERICANS, you have a nice rifle, but chances are you will buy another rifle from a custom manufacture, or a bunch of rifles, but I bet you keep that can for life, 200 bucks can never be recovered in the sale of it. </div></div>

I fail to see how AAC screwed the OP. They are trying to make it right without forcing the OP to go through another transfer. Obviously he does not want an adapter. Mistakes happen. <span style="font-weight: bold">Thank Gemtech for the ATF rule requiring an additional transfer for a different tube with the same SN.</span> </div></div>

Are you sure? Were you there and actually witnessed gemtech doing this OR is this what you heard on the internet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And it was AAC not Gemtech </div></div>

No it wasnt. Gemtec was butthurt because AAC was replacing customers older Gemtech models with brand new units from AAC. They called it reconditioning. The new supressors were stamped Gemtech, and the original SSN so buyers would not have to pay another transfer fee. I dont know that this was a good idea, but it saved customers the transfer fee and wait time.
In retaliation, Gemtech sent a letter to the ATF complaining of his practice. So the ATF changed its rules requiring a fresh transfer and Serial number if the serialized part of the supressor is replaced. Both companies had a hand in it I guess. I have had nothing but good experiences from AAC's CS.

To update everyone on what has happened, AAC screwed up and they admitted to it over the phone, but has since made it right by paying to have the barrel threads turned down on the barrel. They gave me the other option of having a new can with the M18x1.0RH but i would have had to send the 5/8x24 can back and start all of the paperwork over again. Sucks that the whole situation happened in the first place and i waited almost a year for the wrong can but at least they have tried to make it right.

All i can say is that i own other AAC cans and will continue to purchase new cans in the future from this company.

Another solution would be to re-thread the can. It would be faster and less painless!!

If there is enough “meat” around the thread a gunsmith will be able to re-thread it to M18x1.0 without an insert.

The peak of the 5/8x24TPI thread will be 0.625” (15.875mm)

The Tapping drill size for M18x1.0mm is 17.00mm (0.669” very close to 21/32)

That gives you 0.044 Thou to bore out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would definately call AAC before I went to cutting on my barrel, especially since the barrel re-thread isn't a no-brainer deal. I believe that the company could reissue another tube with the same serial number so that the Forms won't need to be refiled. Call the maker before you get too excited about it.

</div></div>

Negative you cannot do that. Check the Gemtax law that happened a while back. You cant create a new tube with a previous serial number. Its either rethread your barrel or wait on a new transfer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And it was AAC not Gemtech </div></div>

For being a witness you are wrong about that. And how did you witness a company sending in an official letter for clarification.

It was Gemtech. thats why it is nick named the Gemtax. Gemtech sent in a letter to "get confirmation" on the legality of getting a new tube with same serial number made. ATF didnt like that cause they were losing out on transfer money.

Again, why cant aac open up the threads in the can from 5/8x24 to 18x1? Dont have to modify you barrel, and dont have do another transfer.

skog

Screw that!!! I would not change anything. You get them to change the end cap or pay you back your tax stamp and then you get another one on them.
I would be very unhappy to say the least.
Chad