• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AAR: 3-Day Precision Scoped Rifle 1 in NC

C45P312

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2008
Chesapeake, VA
www.teamultraspeed.com
VTT-Logo-Reverse.70135309.jpg

http://www.vaportrailtactical.net/

*Disclaimer: I've probably forgot a lot so don't hold me against it lol. Hopefully the other dudes will chime in. Thanks to Sean for being a gracious host.

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Vapor Trail Tactical
3-day Precision Scoped Rifle 1
Instructor: Sean Little
Jan 20-22, 2011
Kinston, North Carolina</span></span>

This was the first shooting class where I felt out of my element. I mostly shot recreationally with no seriousness into performing well at long distance. In turn, I had to pay full attention to make sure I soak up as much information as I can.

Class was a mix of civillians, LEOs, and former Military. A great bunch of guys. It was an enjoyable experience.

Some Statistics that I could remember:

6 Shot 308win
1 Shot 30-06
1 Shot 300winmag
0 260s

2 Gas Guns
6 Bolt Guns
0 Lever Actions

1 16in Larue OBR
1 20in LWRC Repr
1 GAP Crusader
2 McCree Stocks
1 McMillan
2 700s
0 Savages/FNs

1 Millet
1 IOR
1 Falcon Menace
1 Leupold
4 Nightforces
0 Vortex

<span style="text-decoration: underline">TD1</span>

So I recentlly sold my AIAE, and picked up a Larue 16in OBR and decided this class was a good gauge to see what it was made of. Day 1 started out in the class. For the course like this, there just isn't any getting away from it. Very good information but very bland. Sean's sense of humor and stories keep me motivated though. Only fell asleep once when the hotel ran out of coffee or stopped serving it. Not Sean's fault, but that was the first and last time I did get dazed. It brought us into lunch. After lunch, we hit the range. Started to get a good zero. Sean went over the fundamentals and we translated them into our 5 round zeros @ 100yds. After shooting out groups, floating our caps, and reconfirming zeros after the cap adjustments, we got our dopes in at 300 and 600yards. Recorded our shots in our data books. This ended Day 1 with everything on paper.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">TD2</span>

Day 2 started back at Range 1. Reconfirmed our zeros after some of us messed with our rifles back at the hotel. Confirmed our 600yd dope, then we set off for Range 2. Here we did ranging exercises on steel, shot on steel, and even got to chronograph our loads. Sean did a clean and care portion and we got back in shooting steel. Inbetween shooting some steel, Sean taught us about several supported positions from standing to sitting. We shot at paper in this different positions to test the capabilities of the shooter. We had anything from 200-960yds worth of steel. We all spotted for each other to make the class go back faster to make sure everyone got time to range, dial in dope, and break a shot off. Safe to say that everyone hit every target at least twice. Probably like 7-9 targets out there.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">TD3</span>

Day 3 we were back at Range 1. Sean brought out the steel and we started again with unknown distance exercise (UKD) like we on TD2. It was crazy to see how off I was in my range, but Sean says it just takes practice. Towards lunch, Sean did a class on holding over and holding under. Along with it, he talked about multiple target shooting since it came hand in hand. After ranging the steel out in the field, I brought my knobs to my 300yd dope. Here we were able to practice the multiple target engagements while doing hold overs and hold unders. We did had 1 on 1 competitions with each other, engaging on each target one hit and moving to the next target after that hit. It really got your blood pumping. Good for us since it was 28deg easy out there!. After the competition, Sean set up various stages of fire. Shooting from beds of trucks, stand supported, prone, and off hand with support. It was very humbling.

All in all, it was a great time by all for sure. It would have been even better if it was warmer. But now I know my rifle is good to go in some chilly weather. I will admit, I did have some gun issues during all of TD1 and half of TD2. My OBR kept malfunctioning. I had double feeds, bolt not locking to the rear on the last round, and bolt not picking up the next round in the mag. I had to charge a round in after every shot. on TD1, I load 8-10 rounds in the gun, picked her up and shot off everything without a hitch. So it was really really puzzling to me. I blamed everything lol. Gun was dirty, ammo was no good, magazines sucks, etc. By TD2, Sean asked if my gas block was in the right position. Admittingly, it was not. After switching it to the right position, not one single hiccup. I was embarassed to say the least. But now I know my Larue OBR 16in is good to go out to 960yds. 1000 yards will be cake. And I'd like to also note, I used M118LR @ 2460FPS. Very very accurate in my 16in OBR with a Falcon Menace 4-14x44 FFP.

*** Pictures to come tonight or tomorrow morning. I've got lots! ***

Re: AAR: 3-Day Precision Scoped Rifle 1 in NC

Thanks for taking the time to share the info!

Always interesting when you see training classes listed, but you don't always now what you are getting until you get some first hand feedback

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

This was my first experiece with any paid training.  I have to say it was well worth the money.  I came into the class with some base line knowledge about precision rifle and by the end I felt very familiar with my equipment.  One thing that is great about Sean is he trains to your equipment even if it is not his prefered set up.  He offered many tips and opinions on gear setup but never down played what you brought to shoot.

The class is based in Kinston NC and the hotel we stayed at was very nice and resonably priced.  There are plenty of resturants in the surrounding area and a Walmart nearby if you forgot any essentials.  The first morning was a little bit on the dry side as we all checked in and started the instruction. I was pretty tired from the late arrival the night before and guzzled coffee the first few lessons.  The lessons were well organized and the information packets that are provided are great references.  Sean keeps the instruction lively with tales of the yesteryears of his days in the Marine Corps.  There is no doubt the man knows his shit, and he has a pretty unique way of relaying the information.  

My favorite part of the course was the second day at Mr. Edwards range.  I really felt like I put it all together on that day.  Ranging and constanly dialing new dope really made me familiar with adjusting the knobs on my scope.  Another added bonus of taking a PR class, you can check out your fellow classmates gear.  I looked through some fantastic glass and shot the gun of my dreams.  Althought I love my current set up I do see a GA Precision rifle in my future.  

This class was money well spent.  My shooting has improved and I feel very comfortable shooting out to 1000 yards.  I am hooked, I will be back for more. Maybe with a GAP rifle.

Thanks for the info, this looks like it's in the lead for my first precision rifle course. I'd looked at several other courses on the east coast, but this course sounds like it is very thorough (and reasonably priced as well).

This was a great class. My experience to this point has been XTC highpower,very little scope time. I was the Millett. It's a good scope for the money but it needs to be upgraded. Sean is a great instructor. I learned more than I thought I could at one time. I came away from this class with good knowledge of basic fundamentals as they apply to positions with the scoped rifle and was suprised how well I adapted to ranging with mil-dots. Sean was very clear on how it's done and we all helped each other. This group will be hard to surpass as there were very knowledgeable guys with alot of time on their guns who were willing and able to help.I'm going to upgrade to a more capable scope and practice what I've learned and go back next year to do it again. I'll be able to keep up better as the class is fast paced and I didn't want to hold things up to much,as I was certainly the least capable of the group.As has been said this class is money well spent.

Great pics and write up!! Thanks for posting them up. I have to say I had a good time at the class. Too bad it wasn't a little warmer on the 3rd day thought. I also learned I need to practice reading my reticle for UKD.

I'll give you one thing, you did not hold out on the pictures, and I love it. Awesome!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ninja Pirtle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll give you one thing, you did not hold out on the pictures, and I love it. Awesome! </div></div>

No way dude. I don't like when people write AARs and theres just a couple of pictures. So I make sure I have more than enough. Plus, "A picture says a thousand words"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: medic103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks awesome. Any idea what the weather is like in May? I'm thinking about the next 3 day class.</div></div>
I would assume close to perfect. I wouldn't hesitate. I could just imagine how much more fun I would have had with nicer weather. Plus, the more stuff I could had learned.

Nice. I'll start working on the wife tonight. I already google map'd it, and it's only a 12 hr drive. The website says 250rnd for 3 days... Does that sound about right? Anything you didn't have that you wish you did?

I'm leaning towards the 2 day in July, but the 3 day in May sounds like a good time as well. Trying to convince one of my buddies to take it with me.

In NC the weather in May is perfect. I used 230 rnds. so 250 should be fine. Even this time in the cold was a great time,I'd go back tomorrow if it wasn't for this job and wife thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: medic103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice. I'll start working on the wife tonight. I already google map'd it, and it's only a 12 hr drive. The website says 250rnd for 3 days... Does that sound about right? Anything you didn't have that you wish you did?</div></div>
I shot a Semi-Auto 308 so I brought 500rds lol. 250 is good for bolt guns definitely. 300 is good for semi autos. My philosophy: Bring more, shoot more.

The only thing I forgot is a shooting mat. The poncho liner that was loaned to me turned out great. If I were to do it over again, I would make a list of things I want to bring a good 2 weeks before. If I remember something, I go to my list and write it down. So when it comes to pack, I just go straight through my list.

For may, I would look at bug repellent and sun screen maybe? If you're driving up, then just pack your car. It was a 3 day class I took but I took a good 6 pairs of socks, 4 pairs of "tactical" pants, and 2 pairs of jeans, and 2 pairs of boots. Was it overkill? Yes. But just like a condom, I rather have it and not need it versus needing it and not have it.

Wow thanks for the great AAR, got a couple of things that I didn't get to ask during the class. A couple of you guys had the Adaptive FDAC slide rules, did you get to use it during the 2nd day after we had chronod everyones ammo? Just wanted to get some feed back on that as it has worked really well for me, it is a great tool.

Also wanted some feed back on the tripods and cradles, what you thought of using them and if they were stable enough with the light tripod. They have a heavier tripod but I feel that the light ones are really handy and get the job done.

You guys were an awesome class, enjoyed working with you guys, if anyone else has more pics feel free to post them. Look forward to seeing you guys again sometime soon.

Later
Little

I'd probably bring around 300 rounds, although 250 will get you through just fine. I shot 290 through a bolt gun while I was there.

This was my first class and my first time shooting past 100 yards. Because of that I really appreciated that Sean was able to tailor his instruction to the individual shooter. He was more than helpful in taking extra time to help me out when I messed up or with calling my misses.

I've been busy but I'll write out a better review in the next day or so.

I'm sorry I missed this shoot! As soon as this busted up arm gets healed...I will hopefully be ready for the next one...

Yeah thats right 250 to 300 Rnds is more like it. I forgot I had to bug out at lunch on the last day. Great time Sean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hogstooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also wanted some feed back on the tripods and cradles, what you thought of using them and if they were stable enough with the light tripod. They have a heavier tripod but I feel that the light ones are really handy and get the job done.</div></div>

Sean I think I like the smaller tripod I used. It will take some getting use to using the tripod/cradle in the standing position.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: medic103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice. I'll start working on the wife tonight. I already google map'd it, and it's only a 12 hr drive. The website says 250rnd for 3 days... Does that sound about right? Anything you didn't have that you wish you did? </div></div>

I used a bolt and went thru 270 rounds. I would take at least 300 so you have them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: canman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah thats right 250 to 300 Rnds is more like it. I forgot I had to bug out at lunch on the last day. Great time Sean. </div></div>

At least 300 rounds. I was shooting a bolt gun, and I was almost dry by noon on the third day. So I would say at LEAST 300 rounds.

Just wanted to throw in my two cents and say it was a great introduction to long range shooting. I had no previous instruction in scoped rifle shooting at the start and had less than 100 rounds through my .308 prior to this class. Sean's class provided a solid foundation and I look forward to getting out and practicing the skills learned. I will be back for more as soon as the budget allows. Thanks Sean.
DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

url]

url]

url]

url]

url]

url]

url]

url]

url]

url]

Guys my PSR 2 course is posted, I have four signed up already would like to have two more signed up for to fill the class a little. If you are sitting on the fence shoot me an email or send in registration from the web site link below.