• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

AAR - Mammoth Sniper Challenge

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri
After driving home 10 hours and sleeping til 10 today to recoup, I thought I would post my impressions of the match,

I consider myself an "average" shooter in this venue, I have shot multiple disciplines for many years, but long range for a little over 2 years, this was my third "bigger" match.

Here's my thoughts..... o

I think it was a very, very good first match at this location, Joe and his staff had to work their butts off to set the match up, clearing half mile long firing lanes through the woods, building hides, etc. etc. I can't imagine the amount of effort required just to get all the stages ready.

Joe and his staff of RO's were very professional and courteous throughout, tough where they needed to be and worked and froze their butts off so we could have a good time.

The Rockcastle facility is unique and has the potential to be the best of it's kind in the world, for all venues of the shooting disciplines, from sporting clays, three gun, long range, etc, etc.

The prize table was outstanding, kudos and much thanks to the sponsors for their generosity.

The match was VERY challenging, both the shooting and the elements.

The elements are uncontrollable, they are what they are. If you had to shoot the Red Barn stage (like me) the first morning with the wind at full value 20-30 mph and someone else shot the next day with 2-3 mph wind, well, suck it up and cry when you get home, cuz that's the sport we chose.

The shooting layout IS controllable by the match director and was very tough, the AVERAGE shot to hit ratio was somewhere around 8 to 12 percent. Most people I talked to and shot with shot around 90-110 rounds and the average number of hits for the whole match was in the 6 to 13 range.

I came in 19th in the Military Class and hit 12 targets the entire match, I shot around 110 shots, so I hit 10.9% of the targets I shot at and placed in the upper third of the pack.

Ten of the top shooters hitting 20 or more blows my mind, but even that is only a 20% hit ratio if they shot 100 shots!

Tough Match!!!

Re: AAR - Mammoth Sniper Challenge

The match sounds like a GREAT time...

I haven't been involved in any matches but am looking forward to getting involved in some this year...

This sounds like one I would LOVE to shoot in...

You need a partner Chilla...
grin.gif

I would agree with your assessment. I think for a first match this one was great. Were there hiccups? Yes but that is to be expected with anything. I cant wait for the next one I will definitely be there. This was my second bigger match and I learned more about my shooting ability and what I need to look for when first coming up to a stage.

It took a lot of time and hard work to make this match happen and run smooth. So a big Thank You to Joe and all of his RO's and also to the sponsors, without them this match wouldn't have happened.

I dont know, I didnt have many but I know that I had first round hit on one of my targets which meant 1.2pts and I hit both shots with the mrad. My last name was first in the alphabet as well. No telling how that worked...but I dont care I had a blast and cant wait til july
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott V</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How was the tie breaker handled when several shooters had the same # of hits? </div></div>

Pretty sure they went to the number of rounds fired on a specific stage.

Not to call anybody out, but can someone tell me what caused the guy to get DQ'ed? Just curious don't want to make the same mistake if I am ever lucky enough to get to shoot a match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ksmith13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to call anybody out, but can someone tell me what caused the guy to get DQ'ed? Just curious don't want to make the same mistake if I am ever lucky enough to get to shoot a match. </div></div>

I made the call, it was a safety violation, in so many words... there was ammo in a weapon when there shouldnt have been. The shooter was more than understanding and acted like a gentleman. Ill leave it at that.

When do you think you will have the full rundown on equiptment for this summer? will both guys carry long and carbine? Classes?

John I am already working on that now. It should be out in a week or so.

I have read all the AAR's and have taken them into account.

Both teammates will shoot a long gun and an ar platform. They will only have to carry one each on the stage.

I should have the full layout for the match by the end of January.

I'm really looking forward to the July match... it should be interesting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: evilmonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm really looking forward to the July match... it should be interesting. </div></div>

You and me both.

I had a great time, and got a lot of input on new methods to train up for matches. For too long i've been training on a fairly large target. I think it's time to save my pennies to get several smaller targets and work on more UKD shooting under time limits.

I can't be sure if I can do the July match, first of all I don't have an AR, 2nd I don't have a regular shooting partner that I could count on to go, 3rd, not sure if the wife is going to let me spend that much money again, we'll see.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a great time, and got a lot of input on new methods to train up for matches. For too long i've been training on a fairly large target. I think it's time to save my pennies to get several smaller targets and work on more UKD shooting under time limits.

I can't be sure if I can do the July match, first of all I don't have an AR, 2nd I don't have a regular shooting partner that I could count on to go, 3rd, not sure if the wife is going to let me spend that much money again, we'll see.

Branden </div></div>

While its not much of a sub moa target....my partner and I practiced on clays at 500. From unsupported to prone. Makes a good fun cheap target to work with.

Number 1 thing I'm working on right now is not losing my shit when a malfunction pops up on a stage.

I thought that the idea of a milling type exercise was to try to mill a target , mostly a human sized target, and try to be within the distance to be able to make a hit.
So this match had some smaller targets to make it more difficult, like a shit load!!. To me about 8 targets were millable, so to me whole idea of this match without a lazer was a joke. I have shot just about every match in this country and helped to run matches, i can understand downtime, but up to 2 hours per stage is to much.
There were to many people at this match
The accomidation was great
The sponsorship and prize table was great
The people you meet are the best
I would be interested in shooting this match again if it were run a little different

I would like to see a vendor area set up on the last day so the shooters will have time to visit the tables when the scores are being finialized. More vendors would bring in the public/spectators.
On the downtime issue the only way to fix that would be to run shorter stages and more of them with smaller squads.
This type of match is hard to run this way because the set up and distances dictate longer time to complete a stage.
Joe I am planning on helping for the July match. Let me know what you need.

really wish I could have made it. didnt have my bolt gun finished by that time, and i just dont have near the experience in shooting past 200. I used to shoot CMP matches, but that was 10 years ago, shot at Camp Perry a few times, so 600 is the farthest Ive shot, but now am limited to 200-300.

Luckily there is a 1000yrd range opening up 30min from me very soon.