• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AB android app + Kestrel or Kestrel w/AB

rw496

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2013
Lake County, IN
Does the 4500NV AB/BT for $689 do anything better,different, etc. than if I was to purchase, for example, a 4500NV with BT for $399, then purchase the Applied Ballistics app for $30 and sync the Kestrel with my Android device? From what I understand, the Kestrel then populates the fields in the app. I know some people are using the AB Kestrel companion app to android for a better display anyway.

Last edited:
I'm running the Ab android app with the Bluetooth 4500. I think for simplicity sake the AB Kestrel alone would be nice but I just couldn't swing it on the price. I like the setup with as much as I've gotten to use it; a few more months and I will be able to give a better account.

Here's the scoop, buying the AB Kestrel gives you access to the full suite of custom drag curves for the different bullets. In my experience those are the cats pajamas.

The AB app bluetoothed to a Kestrel does a good job, but it's not dead nuts. It's close. If you want dead nuts accurate you need the curves, some of which I believe are available for in app purchase through the AB app.

I tried the phone/kestrel thing, honestly, save the extra money and get the AB Kestrel. Well worth it in convenience and features.

I will be happy when they get the 140 hybrid 6.5 curve available for sale in the Android app

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Here's the scoop, buying the AB Kestrel gives you access to the full suite of custom drag curves for the different bullets. In my experience those are the cats pajamas.

The AB app bluetoothed to a Kestrel does a good job, but it's not dead nuts. It's close. If you want dead nuts accurate you need the curves, some of which I believe are available for in app purchase through the AB app.

I tried the phone/kestrel thing, honestly, save the extra money and get the AB Kestrel. Well worth it in convenience and features.
Good info. Thanks.
If I could read it, I'd buy it. I did not know this feature [data] was only available one way. OP apparently does.

Yes, the AB Mobile application for iOS and android platforms have the custom curves available and operate just the same.

The only thing that I don't like about the Kestrel is that if it was my sole source of ballistic data I couldn't extract information from any other atmospheric condition than the one I'm in. For things such as projectile analysis, hypothetical situations for comparisons, and building data cards for different DA's the smart phone/tablet app is much better suited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about Bluetooth, Is it simple enough to update the android with current pressure numbers and 're calculate' ?

Bluetooth transfer from the Kestrel to the tablet/smartphone is only going to give you the actual conditions that the kestrel is reading. So, yes it's simple but you'll still have to manually input conditions for hypothetical situations for comparisons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://appliedballisticsllc.com/AB_app.htm

Looks to me like the Mobile App's are the full software package, custom drag curves and all.

You have to purchase the curves individually. I'm not sure if all the same ones are available or not.

Edit - Just checked, the list is pretty extensive now so I guess they got them all loaded, 1.99$ each

Last edited:
So, what I'm getting so far is that you can get a regular kestrel 4500 with blue tooth and sync it to your phone and it can continually update your wind/atmospherics to your phones display in the Applied Ballistics app. The only real difference is that with the AB Kestrel you get ALL the custom drag curves, and if you do it the app way you only get the G1/G7 curves, but can purchase custom drag curves individually as in-app purchases. Right?

So, what I'm getting so far is that you can get a regular kestrel 4500 with blue tooth and sync it to your phone and it can continually update your wind/atmospherics to your phones display in the Applied Ballistics app. The only real difference is that with the AB Kestrel you get ALL the custom drag curves, and if you do it the app way you only get the G1/G7 curves, but can purchase custom drag curves individually as in-app purchases. Right?

Correct. Not a bad option for range days, but the phone to Bluetooth thing is a bit slow and clunky if you plan to compete.

Editing to add that the last time I tried it when you ask for the solution after changing range, etc, it gives you the answer for that moment in time like a photograph. If the wind kicks up or dies it won't adjust the solution unless you ask it to update. The AB kestrel can be set to continually update the solution.

Last edited:
I want the best drag curves. I guess I need the 4500ab and a pair of reading glasses. Hang em handy and I think it is most handy.

I want the best drag curves. I guess I need the 4500ab and a pair of reading glasses. Hang em handy and I think it is most handy.

Yeah, I don't know. It's a $300 difference and I only shoot a couple different bullets. I can buy the 208 a max custom drag curve and the 220 smk curve for $4 and I'm set with a better display. But, the convenience of one device and the lag time of the app..dunno?