• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing About to attempt my first barrel removal

Biscuit

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
Norther Cal
I have Wheeler Engineering Barrel Vise and action wrench. Am wanting to take the original 300savage Barrel off a 722 action. Barrel been on there for 50+ years, not sure if rem used any extra stuff to keep it on there (solder?)

Any tips for me on how to go about this?

Thanks much

Re: About to attempt my first barrel removal

I don't know if you're using the aluminum or wood blocks. I use the wood blocks and sometimes I have to use powdered rosin to get enough grip to remove the factory barrel. Good luck, Brian.

Rosin or some powdered sugar between the barrel and the blocks in teh wrench.

Take a metal hammer (regular ball hammer is fine), put torque onto the wrench handle and keep it loaded up with one hand, then use the metal hammer to clink the end of the handle and provide a sharp "rap" to the wrench.

Heat the thing up with a propane torch or hot air gun if it doesn't work.

Great tips. Wish me luck. Will report back with results.

don't use too much heat, you'll screw up the temper.

your biggest problem will be the slipping. If you can keep that from happening you'll be fine.

I don't think a ball peen hammer will be heavy enough. Less you got one that's 2lbs or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seanh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">don't use too much heat, you'll screw up the temper.

your biggest problem will be the slipping. If you can keep that from happening you'll be fine.

I don't think a ball peen hammer will be heavy enough. Less you got one that's 2lbs or so. </div></div>

The point of the ball peen hammer is actually just to put a "shock" through. The primarly force input is the user reefing on the wrench, that little "shock" coming from the hammer is many times just what is needed to push the joint into destabilizing and coming loose.

It's an old trick I picked up from a boiler mechanic years ago and I was surprised just how well it works.

Good call on the heat, if the wood blocks in the wrench start to show signs of discoloration you should stop, the steel won't be hurt by the ~500F it takes to discolor the wood, use that as the indicator if you can't get it off.

Usually just hot to touch is all that's needed.

If you are not too savy on the heat times, you can get a tempasil stick from your welding supply store. They come in many temps. Pick something around 400* and it will show you when you get there. It will last a lifetime and cost little.

Well, I got it off. Not proud of how I did it, but it is done. Barrel kept slipping in the blocks, tried heat and rosin in various amounts and then one block split in half. Did not have any use for the old 300sav barrel so I put it in pipe-vise, no more slip. Barrel finally broke loose using a cheater. Looking at end of barrel where it met w/recoil lug, it is flaired out a bit like a Gorilla put it on there at the factory. Lug has pretty good indentation where barrel smooshed against it.

Thanks all for the great help.

In the future should I re-shape the wood inserts to fit the taper of the barrel? These inserts had no taper for the barrel, I think that is what was killing me.

As the pipe vice proved......friction is your friend. A bushing to match taper is a big help.

"Lug had a pretty good indentation where the barrel smooshed against it." LMAO!!! Don't re-use that lug. It is too soft.
P.S. Any signs of solder on the threads?

No signs of solder or any other thread-lock on there I can see.

As for the "indentation" on lug, it is a visible ring you can see, fingernail catches on it. I do plan on using new lug

GLad you got it off. I've had some old MN91/30 barrels that the pipe wrench with a barrel vise wouldn't pull them.

I chucked 'em up in the lathe, put the LH tool in the tool post and turned the shoulder off until it spun free by hand.

Those barrels were shot out, corroded up garbage that were turned into scrap weight anyway so I wasn't worried about it.