• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

About to fire first reloads in a while

NJRaised

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Port Murray NJ
Can someone sanity check me….

223 rem.

Lyman loading manual has 75 eldm’s at coal of 2.39”, starting charge of 23 grains, up to 25 grains varget.

I loaded up 75 eldms at coal 2.40”, 23.5 grains varget, 1.870 CBTO. Powder was starting to crunch, so I know it’s compressed .

I’m just getting velocities tomorrow, so I started at 23.5 grains, and have a handful of rounds at each .1 grain, up to 24.5 grain.

I loaded at 2.40” coal, bc that’s all my mags can handle currently. Need to hog them out.

How bad is compressed varget? Dangerous at all?

Everything is relative, i.e. how compressed is the powder in the brass. Which brass are you using? New or once fired?

My 77smk Varget load is around 24.0 grains, +/- a couple of tenths depending on the barrel and what it likes, its compressed and I have never had an issue or seen any pressure signs on the brass or primers. I am using Lake City brass on those loads by the way.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
Everything is relative, i.e. how compressed is the powder in the brass. Which brass are you using? New or once fired?

My 77smk Varget load is around 24.0 grains, +/- a couple of tenths depending on the barrel and what it likes, its compressed and I have never had an issue or seen any pressure signs on the brass or primers. I am using Lake City brass on those loads by the way.
Virgin starline brass. How much is it compressed? I am not sure how to measure that to be honest. If there’s a way to know, please let me know.

Virgin starline brass. How much is it compressed? I am not sure how to measure that to be honest. If there’s a way to know, please let me know.
I am not aware of a means of accurately measuring that, but if you aren't leaning your whole-body weight on the press and seating die trying to get the bullet to seat, I think you are probably ok ;) just work up your loads slowly and carefully, check the first pieces of fired brass at each load for pressure signs.

Oh yeah, I can not feel any “weight difference” when seating bullets. It’s sounds like a few grains of salt being crushed when the press cams over.

Yep know that feeling well. All good in my experience

Back from the range today, have all my fingers and toes.

Worked up from a lighter charge, up to 24.5 grains of varget topped with a 75 eldm. Only pushing 2775fps on my labradar, no signs of pressure. Is that relatively slow for 24.5 grains? 1:7 twist proof 223.

Reactions: simonp

How long is your powder funnel tube ?

A longer drop can help settle the powder and reduce some of the crunch you are feeling.

Reactions: simonp