• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

About to get into reloading need advise on dies

Chris777

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2017
California
I'm going to start off with the RCBS Rock Chucker master kit. I am going to be buying some extra stuff like a case trimmer, tumbler, auto powder dispenser with a scale ets. I am going to be reloading 308 and 308 only.

My question is this. Which brand dies do I buy/need and from which brand do you recommend?

Throw all the Info you can at me. I am researching everything I can about this topic and want to know everything I can before I get started. Thanks!

I've been very, very happy with Lee Factory Crimp dies, primarily for handgun. I suspect with a Rockchucker, you'll be loading centerfire/rifle (?). What caliber ?

I've always been happy with RCBS dies. Lee, Redding, Whidden all make good dies. Stay away from Hornady dies they are garbage! I know someone will not like what I said about Hornady but that was my experience. I think everyone will probably agree that the other companies I listed are the way to go.

Forster bullet seating die-either version.
I like a two die sizing approach.
Lee collet for the neck and a Redding body die.

Reactions: Dustysa4
You may be tempted to spend extra money on carbide dies, but I swould spend it elsewhere. With a Rockchucker being manual, you'll have to live 10 lifetimes in order to "wear out" a set of standard dies. I know some will say that carbide adds lubricity. True enough, but you'll be using case lube anyway.

I have the same rockchucker setup you do. I went with rcbs dies at first. But I went to the Redding premium dies and they are much better. Definitely get a seater with a micrometer.

Get the Hornady lockrings and the Hornady dies bushings set. You'll thank me later.

Your .308 chamber(s) and even rifles action(s) could play a part in your die decision as well. Tight chambers may require small base dies, for example. Semi-auto chambers can beat up brass during ejection, so full-length sizing may be a good option, for another example. Something else to keep in mind is whether you'll enjoy the time you spend reloading. All things that could play a part in your die decision...

For bullet seating I use a Forster Ultra Micrometer seater, and I'm stocked up on seating stems (better to have and not need).

For precision semi-auto actions, I typically use a Forster benchrest full-length sizing die. I've found their off-the-shelf benchrest sizing dies to be quite nice and affordable. Forster offers some custom honing options for a small fee, if you decide it's working the brass too much. Send them your die and some cases fired from the chamber you want it customized for, and they'll tune it up for you. This is my poor/lazy man's alternative to multi-step sizing.

For precision bolt-actions, I typically use a Redding body die to bump the shoulder back, and then use a Lee Collet Neck die to size the neck. Lee sells over-sized & under-sized mandrels for their Collet Neck die, which allow you to play with neck tension. And Redding sells spiffy shellholders that allow you to easily dial in your shoulder bump.

I never have gotten in to bushing dies, or neck turning. I'm likely missing out on some accuracy potential there, but I'm quite happy with the time trade off vs accuracy gain of my current methods. YMMV.

Reactions: Chris777
New to reloading, any will work. Use this time to learn to evaluate die quality. By a concentricity gauge and the cheapest set of dies you can. Measure the cases virgin, loaded, and fired. Measure case length, neck runout, and body run out. If your groups look good, leave it alone. If bad and you have a few extra bucks buy a $100 set and repeat. Or reevaluate your loading methods and shooting methods. This is not money wasted, this is an education on the cheap. Many a reload left my bench scratching their head after seeing their "famous die" induce case issues. Full discloser, even great dies are at the will of the reloader. I use Whidden FL custom dies and micrometer seater on everything but semi autos. ELR 338, 300WM, 7mmRM, 308s, etc, etc, etc. Never fails to deliver, whenI do my part. Hope this helps.

Your .308 chamber(s) and even rifles action(s) could play a part in your die decision as well. Tight chambers may require small base dies, for example. Semi-auto chambers can beat up brass during ejection, so full-length sizing may be a good option, for another example. Something else to keep in mind is whether you'll enjoy the time you spend reloading. All things that could play a part in your die decision...

For bullet seating I use a Forster Ultra Micrometer seater, and I'm stocked up on seating stems (better to have and not need).

For precision semi-auto actions, I typically use a Forster benchrest full-length sizing die. I've found their off-the-shelf benchrest sizing dies to be quite nice and affordable. Forster offers some custom honing options for a small fee, if you decide it's working the brass too much. Send them your die and some cases fired from the chamber you want it customized for, and they'll tune it up for you. This is my poor/lazy man's alternative to multi-step sizing.

For precision bolt-actions, I typically use a Redding body die to bump the shoulder back, and then use a Lee Collet Neck die to size the neck. Lee sells over-sized & under-sized mandrels for their Collet Neck die, which allow you to play with neck tension. And Redding sells spiffy shellholders that allow you to easily dial in your shoulder bump.

I never have gotten in to bushing dies, or neck turning. I'm likely missing out on some accuracy potential there, but I'm quite happy with the time trade off vs accuracy gain of my current methods. YMMV.
I am doing this for bolt action. I have a Remington 700 5R gen 1. Factory barrel and action is not trued. I am currently getting 5 shot done sized groups at 100 yards with federal gold medal match Sierra match kings 168 grn.

Reactions: Dustysa4
Anyone have an opinion on this die set?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190717-043600_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190717-043600_Chrome.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 75
I am doing this for bolt action. I have a Remington 700 5R gen 1. Factory barrel and action is not trued. I am currently getting 5 shot done sized groups at 100 yards with federal gold medal match Sierra match kings 168 grn.

Was my first rifle to reload for as well. Forster FL sizing die setup to bump the shoulder .0015-.002 will make you extremely accurate ammo. I did the same thing but shot 175smk then found my golden load with 178 Amax and IMR4064. Get yourself a set the Hornady Lock-N-Load quick change bushing system for your RCBS Rockchuker. Will allow you to setup your dies one time in the bushings and add and remove them from your press with the twist and will always stay setup for that rifle.

Reactions: Snuby642
Anyone have an opinion on this die set?

Redding is just fine too but getting into reloading with a bushing neck sizer and body die, etc can all just be confusing and risk not making quality ammo.

The Forster FL sizing die are used by many of us and they are awesome, easy to setup and use.

They are running a special right now for $15, $25 or $35 off your order and free shipping depending on how much you spend. Look at the top of brownells site.

If you're consistently able to cover a 5 shot group from your 308 with a dime, you're already shooting in the 3's. Skip reloading altogether and buy more of that ammo...

Reactions: Winchester59
Redding is just fine too but getting into reloading with a bushing neck sizer and body die, etc can all just be confusing and risk not making quality ammo.

The Forster FL sizing die are used by many of us and they are awesome, easy to setup and use.

They are running a special right now for $15, $25 or $35 off your order and free shipping depending on how much you spend. Look at the top of brownells site.

This is sound advice!

If you're consistently able to cover a 5 shot group from your 308 with a dime, you're already shooting in the 3's. Skip reloading altogether and buy more of that ammo...
Thing is that I live in CA and now have to deal with background checks for ammo. No shop is selling ammo right now because the DOJ can get their shit together. The website to actually do the background checks is down and the FFL in the area have no idea how to navigate it.

Thing is that I live in CA and now have to deal with background checks for ammo. No shop is selling ammo right now because the DOJ can get their shit together. The website to actually do the background checks is down and the FFL in the area have no idea how to navigate it.

That context helps, as it sounds like your reloading hobby is out of necessity...

I'd recommend the Forster Benchrest Full Length Die Set. The set can be had for under $100. Forster makes very nice dies. Accuracy wise, you won't be leaving much on the table. You'll still have the option to send them in to custom hone the sizer and seating stem, but I wouldn't worry about that for now.

One thing I like about my Forster sizing dies is that they can be adjusted in the press like a traditional sizing die (slight cam-over), and the headspace isn't set back dangerously far. My Redding body dies will push headspace back way too much, and need to be adjusted, or need to be used with the competition shellholders. Sizing too much is a feature that makes the die more versatile (wider range of headspace adjustment). But it's also just one more thing that can be dangerous, requires adjusting, and measuring, etc. I can't speak to whether Redding's full-length dies are like this. Maybe others have experience there...

Either way, a set like this is versatile and won't trap you at the press taking endless measurements. Which is good because you'll probably need that time to cut the crimps out and perform other pocket prep. :p

Also Johnny's Reloading Bench (another YouTube channel) is currently in the process of working through various 308 loads. Good stuff!

You don’t need reloading dies then. You need a moving truck. Much better idea.

Lee has worked fine for me.

I'm a big fan of Lee equipment. The Collet die will turn out consistent neck sized cases. Their floating stem bullet seater works reliably with cheap varmint bullets as well as expensive long range heavies. I just loaded my first 6mm 115's, 108's, 107's, 105's and 103's with no deformation of the ogives.

I can fully recommend that Redding Premium die set you're looking at, I've only used Redding dies. I started using the Deluxe set that comes with the 3rd neck sizing die, though just because that was what was sold to me when I first started reloading. The only issue I ever had with them was on the seating die, I found it quite difficult to achieve a consistent seating depth, which was frustrating as I was loading for a target .300 Win Mag. I never used the neck sizing die, so I when I began loading .308, I went for this Premium set you're looking at now, especially because I also wanted to try out the micrometer seating die. Though as others have stated above, if you're only loading out of necessity rather than for the best precision, and you're only shooting a standard rifle without any kind of special chamber, either would be just fine, just go with whatever's cheapest. But if you are looking for greater precision, I'd recommend the Premium set.

I can fully recommend that Redding Premium die set you're looking at, I've only used Redding dies. I started using the Deluxe set that comes with the 3rd neck sizing die, though just because that was what was sold to me when I first started reloading. The only issue I ever had with them was on the seating die, I found it quite difficult to achieve a consistent seating depth, which was frustrating as I was loading for a target .300 Win Mag. I never used the neck sizing die, so I when I began loading .308, I went for this Premium set you're looking at now, especially because I also wanted to try out the micrometer seating die. Though as others have stated above, if you're only loading out of necessity rather than for the best precision, and you're only shooting a standard rifle without any kind of special chamber, either would be just fine, just go with whatever's cheapest. But if you are looking for greater precision, I'd recommend the Premium set.
I am starting to reload partially out of necessity but mainly because I love to tinkering with things and want to produce my own accurate ammo. My goal is to eventually produce the most accurate ammo I can while keeping it as safe as possible. I see people on here telling me to get certain things to speed up the process but to be honest I am the type of guy that will literally sit in my garage for hours on a weekend getting it right. I don't mind putting time In.

Reactions: Taylor4862

Believe me. If I had a the right job offer in another state I would leave this communist waste land in a heart beat.

Last edited:
What I would like to try and do is kind of start by recreating the round that I know works very well in my Remington right now which is the Federal Gold Medal Match Sieraa Match King 167grn. Not sure if it's entirely possible because I am new to this but if it is I feel that's a good jumping off point if I start with new shells, bullets, primers and powder. I've already looked into different powders for that load and I can get thos bullets from the local add pro.

Redding or Forster seating does. Which is preferred seating varmint bullets in full cases.
My RCBSdies print the bullet tip more than I would like.

I've used Hornady, RCBS, Lyman, Lee, and Redding dies for various calibers. In .308 I've used Hornady and Redding. For precision reloads I like the Redding dies - the neck bushing allows for precise neck tension and the VLD seating (optional) precent VLD bullets from bottoming out. Hornady works, Redding has better fit and finish for more prescise rounds.

I've used Hornady, RCBS, Lyman, Lee, and Redding dies for various calibers. In .308 I've used Hornady and Redding. For precision reloads I like the Redding dies - the neck bushing allows for precise neck tension and the VLD seating (optional) precent VLD bullets from bottoming out. Hornady works, Redding has better fit and finish for more prescise rounds.
Does Redding make a FL sizing die? Or would you recommend a body die, neck die and a seating die? I plan on getting a micrometer seating die.

Last edited:
We have a lot of hornady gear.
The only disappointment has been thier dies.

For a first set get the Lee 4 die set.
You will not be sorry at thier price.

When you can run it properly you will have learned what features you want on enhanced dies and why.

The Lee dies will make a good backup to any of the premium dies you may or may not acquire.

We have a lot of hornady gear.
The only disappointment has been thier dies.

For a first set get the Lee 4 die set.
You will not be sorry at thier price.

When you can run it properly you will have learned what features you want on enhanced dies and why.

The Lee dies will make a good backup to any of the premium dies you may or may not acquire.
What are the major differences between the Lee dies and premium dies?

Either Forster or Whidden and you can go wrong. By the way, you can call their phone and someone can always "walk" you through if you have some questions.

Things like micro adjustable seating dies, hany if you load different bullets a lot the Lee is not as fast to set but works fine.

Dies for adjustable neck tension with the collects nice but for later lessons as I see it. I just remove material from the expander stem on the lee.

Some of the better dies may give better concentricity.

They are normally polished more inside ect.

I certainly won't argue best with anyone but a Lee set is functional and good to learn on. Many valid points on all the posts.

One thing I did not remember seeing was to make sure and get a universal decap die, that way you can clean brass and pocket before running in sizing die keeps things clean and less chance on damage.

It's a lot of satisfaction making a good load.

What are the major differences between the Lee dies and premium dies?

My Lee dies require more pampering to prevent surface rust. There isn't a lot of effort spent on the exterior finish, who cares. The interior polish of the Lee FL sizing die is downright incredibly good. Think smoother operating. Their bullet seating die uses an o-ring to make up for loosely cut threads to adjust seating depth. Over time the o-ring wears and play occurs. The replacement pieces are a buck. Also, the standard seating plug isn't ideal for VLD bullets. Lee will make you a custom plug for a few bucks. Lee dies truly are an exceptional value. They're great to get your feet wet into reloading, but good enough that most of us still own and use many of their products.

Reactions: Snuby642
Does Redding make a FL sizing die? Or would you recommend a body die, neck die and a seating die? I plan on getting a micrometer seating die.
Yes they make a full length sizing die. You dont need to split sizing into two steps unless you want to pull the press handle twice as many times.

Yes they make a full length sizing die. You dont need to split sizing into two steps unless you want to pull the press handle twice as many times.

I use their FL sizing competition sizing die. I anneal and am less worried about over working brass than rounds than won’t chamber or pulling a press handle twice.
These are tighter than other dies - Hornady One Shot lube didn’t work well for me in these, I now use Redding’s imperial wax.

Things like micro adjustable seating dies, hany if you load different bullets a lot the Lee is not as fast to set but works fine.

Dies for adjustable neck tension with the collects nice but for later lessons as I see it. I just remove material from the expander stem on the lee.

I certainly won't argue best with anyone but a Lee set is functional and good to learn on. Many valid points on all the posts.

One thing I did not remember seeing was to make sure and get a universal decap die, that way you can clean brass and pocket before running in sizing die keeps things clean and less chance on damage.

I will look into the lee dies. I like the idea of buying the dies I need based on quality and recommendation as stated in previouse comments. I understand that probably isnt the best or most effective way for a beginner to go about it. I've done a tone of research and understand the fundamentals of reloading although there are some details I still need to read up on.

My main concern is the quality of the load. I want to shoot for accurace and good conentricty in my loads. I'm just running a Remington 5R milspec gen 1. Its pretty new but I'm getting GREAT groups with it. I just want to make sure I but right products to achieve my goal which us quality, accurate ammo.

I do appreciate all this info. This gives me allot to dive into. I love this stuff.

What I would like to try and do is kind of start by recreating the round that I know works very well in my Remington right now which is the Federal Gold Medal Match Sieraa Match King 167grn. Not sure if it's entirely possible because I am new to this but if it is I feel that's a good jumping off point if I start with new shells, bullets, primers and powder. I've already looked into different powders for that load and I can get thos bullets from the local add pro.

Use Hornady bullets. They are as good if not better, higher BC, and cheaper. 178 hpbt/Match/ELD-X are all great choices.