• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

About to rebarrel my 700

Boydo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Washington, IL
Been calling around trying to find a smith to do some work on my 700P. It started out stock, but after a manners t2, badger m5, badger bolt knob, its time for a barrel. The rifle shoots about 1moa with the stock barrel and action. I can get a shilen select match #7 heavy varmint contour in 308 with 1 in 10 twist right now without having to wait. Does anyone have any experience with this barrel? I have been looking into bartlein and rock but for some reason i never researched shilen. Pics of rifles with this contour barrel would be cool. Thanks Boydo

Re: About to rebarrel my 700

I have had two Shilen barrels, both match select, but neither were .308. One was a .223 Rem, and the other is a 25-06. Both are very good barrels, clean easy, and as accurate as most other high end button rifle barrels. However, I think there are better barrels out there for about the same money. Benchmark, Hart, Lilja, Broughton, Lothar-Walther, and Brux all come to mind. Obviously, Bartlein, Rock, and Krieger barrels are all top end, but you are going to pay and wait.

Would i be better off just waiting for the rock creek? im not real sure if i would like that contour either. im a fan of the m24/m40 contour myself. pics of your rifles anyone? im trying to find a contour that would be heavy enough for heavy shooting at the range but not too heavy that i couldnt hunt with it occasionally

You might check with Jon Beanland, Beanland Custom Rifles in Gould Okla. His work is second to none, very reasonable prices and shorter than normal wait times. Also one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. He let me watch as he threaded and chambered a barrel. Someone is getting a very sweet 6.5x47! And yes, he has my action after watching and visiting with him for my very first custom build, I can't wait! His number is 580-471-3380

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tcob68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might check with Jon Beanland, Beanland Custom Rifles in Gould Okla. His work is second to none, very reasonable prices and shorter than normal wait times. Also one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. He let me watch as he threaded and chambered a barrel. Someone is getting a very sweet 6.5x47! And yes, he has my action after watching and visiting with him for my very first custom build, I can't wait! His number is 580-471-3380 </div></div>

Now why do you have to go and spread his number around?? You are letting the cat out of the bag!
wink.gif
You are correct, I saw that 6.5L in the chasis with the S&B mounted up while i was picking up my 300wm, holy moley!

Jon is a class act and as nice a guy as you ever want to work with. If he does the work, you know it's done right.

It is really a random no. I found in the phone book, lol. No really,I know what your saying, but, when a person is as good and as nice as Jon is everyone needs to know about them. I can't wait until I get some days off and take some more parts to him. Only bad thing is he said kreiger's wait time is almost six months at the moment. This is going to be the longest six months of my life!

Well after talking to Russ last night, it looks like im gonna go with a rock creek m24/m40 contour. 308 with 1 in 11.25" twist. russ is very personable and easy to talk to, on the phone at least, and was able to answer all my questions. now its just a waiting game till the rock creek comes in

Why not just order a Rock from Bugholes? He has them in stock and you could get it in a few days.

You can't go wrong with Russell! He will take good care of you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not just order a Rock from Bugholes? He has them in stock and you could get it in a few days. </div></div>

I think I got the last one a couple weeks ago.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick R</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not just order a Rock from Bugholes? He has them in stock and you could get it in a few days. </div></div>

I think I got the last one a couple weeks ago.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

He's got a few Obermeyers in the M24 contour with 11 twist.