• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Above the Barrel Mounted Bipods

Harman117

Shooting Blanks
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2018
Ohio
Looking for other/all options, on the market, that attach to the top rail of a rifle. (12 o'clock)

Specifically ones like the Fortmeier/Phoenix Bipod pictured below. (~$410 and is shipped from UK/Germany)
AAA2165.jpg

Or one like the elite iron pictured below.($500-$600). It's a little different in design but accomplishes similar functionality/concept.
eliteironbipod.jpg

The Kicker:
Preferably one that doesn't cost as high. Does something like this exist for $200-$300?

I even like the individual "side mounted" pods like the Vltor ModPods that attach at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions. These are about $170. BUT designs like this usually do not have any "tilt" or rotation about the barrel axis. Which is a must have.

MP-1-001.jpg

Any other major options out there? Any early news from Shot Show?

Elite iron is excellent.
D5275B7B-CAE6-45B9-92AC-A22CFE76C77B.jpeg

It’s REALLY stable
The feet are a lot more effective than I’d imagined.
They bite without digging a hole and sinking.
Cant is super smooth.
Leg deployment is pretty easy and fast.
It’s surprisingly compact when folded, I turn the legs flat to the stock and it still fits into a AR bag.

Last edited:
Interesting. I wonder how the quality is since it's coming from leapers. Thanks for the heads up I'll check it out.

Interesting. I wonder how the quality is since it's coming from leapers. Thanks for the heads up I'll check it out.
I hear you and while I cannot give input on the over bore model I can tell you I took a flier on their KeyMod mounted bipod and I absolutely love the added stability and the ability to micro adjust the leg heights. It's rock solid had it about 4 months on a 6.5. I know I will get laughed at for this, but it replaced an Atlas BT10. If it breaks shame on me and no one to blame, but at $38 it was worth the 'risk' to me. In that event I'll go to a more well known side mounted hand guard or over bore.

Last edited:
Found this Australian made one that is a similar design to the elite Iron, BUT uses Atlas legs.

Reactions: Rich4 and BurtG
The Fortmeier looks really nice except I don't really like the attachment point, probably never an issue but it just puts me off a bit. I've got a couple of the Elite Iron bipods and they are amazing but a bit limiting in their attachment as well. Which means you always have to have an Atlas just to make sure your covered. I've searched and searched to find a cheaper solution and in the end decided to just bite the bullet - good gear is worth the money.

Reactions: Steel head
The Fortmeier looks really nice except I don't really like the attachment point, probably never an issue but it just puts me off a bit. I've got a couple of the Elite Iron bipods and they are amazing but a bit limiting in their attachment as well. Which means you always have to have an Atlas just to make sure your covered. I've searched and searched to find a cheaper solution and in the end decided to just bite the bullet - good gear is worth the money.

Yeah, I wish they made a lower profile mount that exclusively is used at the end of a rail, and has an offset to get closer to the barrel.

Here's what it uses now:
b6a5433f4c5ea6d6c88a4fb7ca50aa11.jpeg
Fortmeier-BiPod-H210.jpg

I would for sure get one if they made a direct mount M-lok mount that would sit flush to the handguard.

I'll probably message them and see if that's something they have in the works.

Yeah, I wish they made a lower profile mount that exclusively is used at the end of a rail, and has an offset to get closer to the barrel.

Here's what it uses now:
View attachment 7226789View attachment 7226790

I would for sure get one if they made a direct mount M-lok mount that would sit flush to the handguard.

Yeah that's the mount I was thinking of. It doesn't bother me how it looks with the bipod mounted but would look like a pecker sticking out with no bipod on it. Its QD so it would probably not be on the rifle if the bipod wasn't. If you get one of these make sure to do a review, I keep thinking I want to try one out and then end up spending money elsewhere...

The only downside with the Fortmeier is that if you order the over the barrel type you can't mount below the barrel if for some reason you needed to, correct?

The only downside with the Fortmeier is that if you order the over the barrel type you can't mount below the barrel if for some reason you needed to, correct?

I believe you can use it from a bottom rail.

Here's a quote from a GunMart review: "Brian has recently altered the spigot slightly, due to feedback from a customer, and the hole that the Allen screw fits in is drilled all the way through, so that the clamp can be mounted on the bottom of a rifle’s freefloat rail by simply re-positioning the Allen screw – simple but clever!"

So I think if you were to switch the Bipod to a rifle with the pic rail at the 6 o'clock you would lose the ability to adjust the tilt tensioner. (Unless you change the screw to the other side)

Here's what it uses now:
View attachment 7226789View attachment 7226790

Why do you want a top-mounted bipod to get closer to the barrel? The whole point is to raise the fulcrum of the triangle as high above the barrel as possible...so you'd want it as high up as possible without occluding the optic.

I believe you can use it from a bottom rail.

Here's a quote from a GunMart review: "Brian has recently altered the spigot slightly, due to feedback from a customer, and the hole that the Allen screw fits in is drilled all the way through, so that the clamp can be mounted on the bottom of a rifle’s freefloat rail by simply re-positioning the Allen screw – simple but clever!"

So I think if you were to switch the Bipod to a rifle with the pic rail at the 6 o'clock you would lose the ability to adjust the tilt tensioner. (Unless you change the screw to the other side)

Sounds like they found a fix for it, hmmm....

I have two Elite Iron bipods and like them very much. I am intrigued by the Fortmeier though. For the price of it though I will probably just get another Elite since I know they're great.

Reactions: Long Range 338
Why do you want a top-mounted bipod to get closer to the barrel? The whole point is to raise the fulcrum of the triangle as high above the barrel as possible...so you'd want it as high up as possible without occluding the optic.

I guess I really just want a direct M-lok attachment that would sit flush and hang off the front of a handguard. I don't particularly like the idea of using an M-lok picatinny rail as intermediate means for attachment. Stacking things up vertically on the end of my handguard isn't appealing to me. More of an OCD thing then anything. I doubt the difference on height would have much impact on performance too.

Also I heard back from the UK importer Phoenix Tactical regarding an M-lok Mount, he said:

"I have mentioned m-lok to the people who make the mounts. They are looking at it but no time frame yet."

So it sounds like it may be in the works.

I guess I really just want a direct M-lok attachment that would sit flush and hang off the front of a handguard. I don't particularly like the idea of using an M-lok picatinny rail as intermediate means for attachment. Stacking things up vertically on the end of my handguard isn't appealing to me. More of an OCD thing then anything. I doubt the difference on height would have much impact on performance too.

I think the point is that the closer the bipod is to the barrel, the higher the CoG (?) and if so, you are giving up function and the basis of the bipods fundamental design, for aesthetics (if I understand your objections effectively).

I'm very intrigued by the Fortmeier. I'd love to see X-Ring do a comparative review like he did with the TBAC bipod and the Atlas. The TBAC reivew was nearly a clincher for me before I saw the Fortmeier.

I have an early model LRA short tactical. It's rock solid, but very slow to deploy and the pressing of the leg buttons to adjust their angle when already behind the rifle is a major drag - hence my interest in either the TBCA or the Fortmeier.

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
does anyone know who is shipping this to the USA (FORTMEIER BIPOD H210) i cant seem to find where i could order this and have it sent to Texas.

While I own an Elite Iron bipod, I tend to favor my Atlas 5H over it. The Elite is a good bipod but I find it overpriced for what it is.

does anyone know who is shipping this to the USA (FORTMEIER BIPOD H210) i cant seem to find where i could order this and have it sent to Texas.
Have you tried contacting the sellers in Europe? I've ordered other stuff from over there without issue in the past. Busy playing with the UTG over bore bipod due to not wanting to spend on this and finding out I don't like it.

i can confirm that the Fortmeier Bipod does indeed fit versapod spigots perfectly. So that just might help with the decision making process if you don't like the mount it comes with. I'm going to be drilling and embedding my HS Precision stock with the versa pod 150-108 spigot for a direct mount instead of using any type of adapter or rail. Mounted in the 6 o'clock position as it can be mounted either or.
once embedded it will mount like i have it mocked up in this photo. Versa Pod Spigots come in LOT of different flavors.
dtrzx1.jpg

Reactions: Harman117
only takes an allen wrench to swap the "tit" that clocks the bipod to the other side of the spigot to mount at the 6 or 12 o'clock position.

Looking for other/all options, on the market, that attach to the top rail of a rifle. (12 o'clock)

The Kicker:
Preferably one that doesn't cost as high. Does something like this exist for $200-$300?

I just got a Fortmeier from Solid Solution Designs in the Netherlands. 200 plus like 50 shipping, took about two weeks to my house.

Reactions: Harman117
I just got a Fortmeier from Solid Solution Designs in the Netherlands. 200 plus like 50 shipping, took about two weeks to my house.

Oh wow, $250 USD?

It's been a while since I last checked this stuff but that's like almost half of what it use to be. Thanks for the info

I received the Fortmier bipod, that thing is large and built like a tank.
I ordered the 12 o'clock mount setup and found out that it can be changed to a 6 o'clock mount
by reversing the direction of the crossbolt in the spigot.

only takes an allen wrench to swap the "tit" that clocks the bipod to the other side of the spigot to mount at the 6 or 12 o'clock position.
I ordered the 12 o'clock mount setup and found out that it can be changed to a 6 o'clock mount
yup, noted that a while back. LOVE this bipod.

I have the phoenix on my AI's

bought them about 3 years ago

i would bet money that you could stand on the top of the rifle and the bipod would hold you up...no joke

there is a lot of meat in the mounting area but it doesnt bother me really...its already heavy

only "issue" i have seen is because the legs are longer being a top mouint when i have them folded to the rear they can contact some of the long scopes of it you use sun shades. so i just fold them forward.

and 99% of the time for transport i remove the bipod in total because top mounts are fatter than bottom atlus/harris

and 99% of the time for transport i remove the bipod in total because top mounts are fatter than bottom atlus/harris
THIS
this is one of the main reasons i want spigot mounted bipods on everything. Super quick and easy to remove, and if you have the spigot mounted directly to the stock (embedded) with no rail, or adapter. Then the rifle is nice for walking/stalking while shooting off hand when its not going to be needed.

Hi Mike and/or Doc, the fortmeier bipod link you provided above, does it come with the picatinny mount? Anything either of you do not like about this bipod?

I tried to respond last night but apparently the server wasn't feeling well. It has a QD clamp to mount to the pic rail. It's really well made and I do like it. For the price of two Harris, I don't think you can beat it. The only kick is the shipping to the states.

Thanks for the response Mike. Think I will order one!

As for the Fortmeier bipod ( i know the OP wanted info on top mounts) This is the H210 model meant for the 12-o-clock position. Fits versa pod spigots, so i embed one, original plan with the HS stock changed. Has a very easy to use quick release lever and simply just snaps back into place for reinstall. I personally didn't want anything over the barrel as i didn't want the possibility of seeing it in the optic. That said i didn't want anything attached to the underside of the forearm. So here is the final set up.
4ux3xy.jpg

qe8e4c.jpg

dth95v.jpg

tqayd3.jpg

For the guy wanting a over the barrel spigot closer to the the barrel. If you have M-LOK or similar design over your barrel. You could buy the same spigot i used, and have it machined flat on one side, drilled, and machined flat the other side for screws/bolts. Then mount it to the end of your forearm for and much flatter, smaller, sleeker design.

When you ordered this bipod, did you order from the listing that says “legs only”? That doesn’t sound like a complete bipod.
I contacted them through the “contact us” on their site, but have not heard back. Did you have a dialog with them prior to your purchase? Thx!

When you ordered this bipod, did you order from the listing that says “legs only”? That doesn’t sound like a complete bipod.
I contacted them through the “contact us” on their site, but have not heard back. Did you have a dialog with them prior to your purchase? Thx!
Legs only is exactly that, its not a complete bipod. You can buy each individual part separately. Its actually nice if you only need parts, or want different length legs.
this is a good site for them. You can get any model, any part, and lots of other things not common here in the USA.

Reactions: Cincylance
Personal, opinion, the 210 model is perfect. The shorter ones would be to short, and require the legs to be extended at all times. Above the barrel would be awful with the shorter models.
Photos are of my custom 300 PRC with embedded spigot as close to the underside of the barrel as possible.
k2yz2b.jpg

wxdqm9.jpg

Last edited:

Look at the description, it is not legs only. It is the exact same price as the 6 o'clock and in any event a 6 is a 12 is a 6. If you get it from SSD I'm pretty sure English is not their first language nor probably their web designer. So it appears the link has changed but it clearly states it's for the entire bipod. It's what I ordered and what I received.

Look at the description, it is not legs only. It is the exact same price as the 6 o'clock and in any event a 6 is a 12 is a 6. If you get it from SSD I'm pretty sure English is not their first language nor probably their web designer. So it appears the link has changed but it clearly states it's for the entire bipod. It's what I ordered and what I received.
the 6 and the 12 o'clock "bridge" are actually different in the way the add tension to the spigot.

So what's the difference between the two (12 and 6) bipods? My understanding was the difference was in the mount (cant screw) and not the bipod. Thoughts?

Edit: you guys answered my question before I even posted it. LOL.

I will primarily use this in the 12 position, but since I also have a rail point at the 6 position, I like the option of being able to switch depending on the occasion.

A little more information about my situation: I ordered the Roedale version of this bipod on Nov 7 and they just told me they are still awaiting a restock of the bipods. Their version has more leg angle points (also 45° and 135°) which is intriguing, but the wait for an off the shelf item is killing me. After reading how quickly two of you received your order from SSD, I'm considering cancelling my Roedale order and buying from SSD. Thoughts?