• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Acc 2495, imr 8208 xbr, imr 4064

Cat64

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2013
North Louisiana
Good Morning,

I recently qualified at my local shooting range to shoot 1000 yards. I would like to take an incremental approach and get proficient at each distance first starting at 300 yards. Upon my research and trials I learned that many cartridges stabilize around the 300 yard mark. In other words you are a decent shooter if you could score a tight group at 300 yards and beyond. With that said I am looking at some ideas from all the shooting aficionados for good bullet, powder, case, primer combination.
Before I am bombarded with pertinent data from so many of you (which by the way is a blessing) let me tell you what I currently have, and then you can perhaps suggest some combinations of those. I am shooting a .308 Tikka T3 Lite which I slightly adjusted including increasing the weight of the stock for bench/sand bag shooting.
Powder: ACC 2495, IMR 8208 XBR, IMR 4064, and IMR 4895
Bullet: Hornady HPBT 155 g, Hornady HPBT 168 g, Hornady A-Max 168g, Sierra HPBT 165 g, and Sierra HPBT 175gr.
Primers: Winchester and Remington
Cases: Winchester, Hornady

Work up a load with 8208, H-4895 or Varget because they are the least sensitive to temperature.

Use Lapua brass, it's expensive but is higher quality and lasts longer.

How about the Berger 155 grain match target hybrid?

Any primer you can find. Benchrest primers might be worth trying.

Using what you have on hand, load 42.3 grains of IMR 4064 and the Sierra MK 175's Winchester brass and Remington primers. Then; practice practice practice.

When you grow tired of that, develop a load with IMR 8208 XBR and the 155's for giggles.

IMR 8208 peaks real quick.I would not shoot anything heavier that 155 grains in 308.For the 168 and the 175 both 4895 and 4064 should work very well.I have had great results with H4895 and the 155SMK.

Regards,Mike