• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Acceptable play in 223 AI mag

JustPlinking

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
Bucks county Pa.
Rem 700 in .223 running an Atlas Worx bm. What is the acceptable play or slop when the mag is locked in the bottom metal? I haven't used the AI .223 polymer mags before and I am having some feeding issues. Thanks in advance.

I have the same bm, I would say without knowing that it´s the bm that is a bit on the loose side dimension vise, I have issues with not having my mags to come up high enough to feed properly.
I am looking it to having a new mag release, a longer one made up and fitted by me. That I do belive would be the right way to do it and perhaps the only one since the polymer will not bend/keep.

I have used to adress this issue by adjusting the mag lips however I prefer not to have mags that are "use only" in this or that rifle due to the fact that I have a hard time remembering/keeping them sorted and separated. /CHris

I have the PTG DBM, and found that the stock has to be inletted fairly deep to get the mag to tighten up. There is still a little movement even after that. The way to check and see if your stock is inletted enough is to bolt your DBM to the action out of the stock and see if it tightens up. If it does, that is how deep it needs to be inletted.

Thank you for the responses. With pressure on the bottom of the mag holding it to its tightest point I feed with out issue, pulled so its at its lowest the bolt clears the round. I will see if the stock needs to be inletted more. I will also look into another mag release for this bm.. Dont feel right selling it and unloading the problem on another shooter..Thanks again.

Patrick

Last edited:
If that makes it feed, you will need to inlet deeper. That should get your problem sorted out.

Thank you for the responses. With pressure on the bottom of the mag holding it to its tightest point I feed with out issue, pulled so its at its lowest the bolt clears the round. I will see if the stock needs to be inletted more. I will also look into another mag release for this bm.. Dont feel right selling it and unloading the problem on another shooter..Thanks again.

Patrick

Patrick

Just mig or tig the one you have and refit. I hate inletting them below flush with the bottom of the stock. Looks like crap.