• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Accu-Shot® Monopod (BT05)

tfre3927

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Ok - So the monopod I ordered from <span style="font-style: italic">Accu-shot</span> just arrived.. thought id splash it up for a few people who had been thinking about perhaps getting one. I'm FAR from being an experienced shooter, but I figure first impressions could help someone make a decision out there.

First off - the unit is lighter than I thought it would be and also 'not as tall' as it appeared in illustrations. I thought I'd go for the taller model designed for ARs purely to meet my needs in the field. You can check out the height differences with the monopod folded, erect and extended in some more pics below..

The install is basic enough, but not 'as simple' as a harris bipod - there is a little screw that needs to be tightened to make sure the frame grips the stock.. which is no problem if you have at least one hand, half a brain and an Allen key (which <span style="font-style: italic">Accu-shot</span> provide), but if you think you're going to take this baby off on the move without the Allen key: you're dreaming. It's not like a Harris or V8 where you can just whip it off if you need to shed some weight. [<span style="font-style: italic">edit note: since writing this review I took the monopod off- then couldnt seem to get the unit to grip the stock firmly- see below in the thread for solution - requires install of a washer under the swivel stud - it's a rare occurance</span>]. Maybe the same people who found a niche with Harris bipods by developing <span style="font-style: italic">Pod-Loc </span>might have a solution for <span style="font-style: italic">Accu-shot</span>? <span style="text-decoration: line-through">I'm surpised <span style="font-style: italic">Accu-shot</span> didn't consider such an option.</span> [<span style="font-style: italic">edit: they have this feature on the weaver rail model mentioned below in the thread</span>]

I also found, like some have previously, that the monopod does not fold away as nicely as perhaps it could or should. I find that once you have folded the thing and begin to screw the tightening discs that they hit the top of the unit - despite the designated groove- and it means it doesnt folder up closer to the stock. In the end, that will not impact me personally for functionality, but its worth the mention.

What does impact on functionality, though, is the process it takes to fold it down if you needed to quickly. If you were positioned to shoot in some kind of decline and then have an immediate need to shoot at an inclination, such as shooting up a hill - forget it. I feel like the button mechanism that allows the monopod to extend and retract vertically, quickly, without screwing the whole unit SHOULD actually be a feature that allows a quick folding away action. Or, heck, have two button mechanisms for those different functions. I know I'm asking a lot with those last few comments and I know it's a great product - but there you have my ideal improvements to it's retracting functionality..

In any case, I'm happy with the purchase - I lined up a target after the install and I really liked the control the device gave me - particularly if I decided to roll the rifle in the harris bipod with the swivel functionality.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Note on shipping</span>: Accu-shot were <span style="font-weight: bold">very </span>quick
smile.gif

Monopod folded with Harris 9-13" SLM at min extension:
[img:left]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9199/2011janpastamonopods041.jpg[/img]

Harris 9-13" SLM at full extension, monopod not extended.
[img:left]http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/2369/2011janpastamonopods028.jpg[/img]

Extended, before loosening the two nuts:
[img:left]http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/9130/2011janpastamonopods033.jpg[/img]

Folding after loosening:
[img:left]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/7500/2011janpastamonopods036.jpg[/img]

Folded, before retracted:
[img:left]http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2168/2011janpastamonopods038.jpg[/img]

The screw that needs to be tightened:
[img:left]http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/2933/2011janpastamonopods049.jpg[/img]

Re: Accu-Shot® Monopod (BT05)

thanks for your input have been thinking about geting one of these

Would you say its comfortable enough for shooting at ranges up to 500 yards at at 20 degree downward angle from prone, AR platform needs a steady device. Sandbag isnt doing it for me.

Nice write up.

I bought one and stuck it on my PRS stock for my AR and it works really well - has a good amount of adjustment and pretty solid. I was surprised how much I liked it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exemer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you say its comfortable enough for shooting at ranges up to 500 yards at at 20 degree downward angle from prone, AR platform needs a steady device. Sandbag isnt doing it for me. </div></div>
I don't have an AR man so I can't comment accurately - and I'm still pretty new to shooting so I guess my disclaimer is I'll do my best to answer without guess work. Biggest bit of advice I can give is take the overall height of the unit not extended + half of the adjustment range (for tweaking when set up) and prop up your rifle. Pretty soon you'll see the angle of depression of your barrel. A big note that the angle is completely dependent on the only other important variable (other than stock shape): the height of your bipod/ rest.

I think I should have noted that, realistically, you need to line a shot up as though the monopod doesnt adjust - it seems to be really a 'tweaking' function for shots, rather than a 'plonk your platform down and adjust the monopod to suit' situation.

For my setup I achieve 20 degrees and then some. I also find that(with my bipod at 9") I can get some really steep angles if I raise the Monopod into my fist- but the trade off is <span style="font-style: italic">minor</span> unsteadiness though not nearly as much as you might think as and I find it very comfortable for short periods of time - then it's neck strain - but that's my fault for using a tallish bipod prone. I really like the control you get by holding the whole monopod, actually. The ergonomics seems to work <span style="font-style: italic">alot </span>better than your fist alone or a sand bag. Not sure how that technique specifically would perform out to significant distances but at 100-200yds it does the job well. If you're sick of f-ing around with a bag go for it for sure.

Thx, this is probably gonna make my adjustements so much easier. I will have to experiment with my buddies rifle, he got it last week for his .223 but hasnt even thought of putting it on.

how do you think it will do in dirt? like....with semi moist earth, will the monopod easily sink into the ground? get what im saying? haha.

i have been looking at these for some time as well. thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richieraby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how do you think it will do in dirt? like....with semi moist earth, will the monopod easily sink into the ground? get what im saying? haha.
i have been looking at these for some time as well. thanks! </div></div>

To answer your question - I think it really depends. If you have a heavy rifle and if you're prone and leaning into the weapon you can put more downforce on the stock which affects how the monopod will perform i.e. sink into the ground.

I find after a bit of shuffling and moving around you start to dig a little hole. I think in mud this wouldn't operate as optimally as you would like it to. Even for this taller model, the movements of the thread turning on the device moves the buttstock very minorly and incrementally. I think you'd find that in mud or dirt that (after you have adjusted the monopod correctly for your shot) that after a little wriggling or repositioning that you have moved your rifle enough to have to correct it yet again. For a perfect long range shot it takes some fiddling, no doubt about it. To make it easier on yourself you need a hard surface - even if it's just hard, dry earth.

the model that has a weaver mount also has the push button to fold it up that is why i prefer to fit a piece of rail on the nut of the rifle and use it that allows for push button closing a much better option. i have both and use the older unit for testing customers rifles or rifles without the rail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the model that has a weaver mount also has the push button to fold it up that is why i prefer to fit a piece of rail on the nut of the rifle and use it that allows for push button closing a much better option.</div></div>

AH. So it has. There is the missing feature I'd like. Thanks for that Bill

I have the BT08 and the BT13, both of which I use and recommend to anyone wanting a monopod. They're built rugged and easy to attach/remove.

Thanks for your review!

I have an ACCU-SHOT monopod on my Arctic Warfare and I am VERY pleased with it.

Darin Reiss,
FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS

I've been using them on several of my AR platforms, In .223 and 7.62. I've had good luck with them, but I haven't used them on unconsolidated surfaces. I've mounted them on PRS stocks. For more level shooting surfaces, I've had the best luck with a 6x9" Harris. I set the legs up two notches then dial in the mono. Acquiring the target is very swift using the quick release button, then twisting the mono on the threads.

<span style="font-weight: bold">SOLUTION TO THIS FURTHER DOWN THREAD</span>

FYI- just had a frustrating half hour fiddling with the monopod:

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Symptoms</span>: I noticed the monopod was loose on the stock- the screw was tight

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Action</span>: I unscrewed the little screw a touch that is meant to secure the top polymer support against the stock, pushed the top of the device against the stock again, re-tightened the screw- and it was still loose. In fact, more so.

I took the whole monopod off and had a look at was happening- the screw was failing to hit the metal 'wall' to secure the device and was slipping down into a joint and forcing the unit down, making it loose.

Solution- I put some plastic inside the shaft so the screw would have contact with it. It seems to be doing a sufficient temporary job to keep it secured.

See for pic:
<span style="text-decoration: line-through"><span style="text-decoration: underline">http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/38502011janpastamonopods2cr.jpg</span></span> link dead - ill upload again soon

Give Kasey a PM, maybe he has the answer to your problem.

Looks good man, you got a mean lookin boom stick!

Aussie700P, I'm having to return my BT-13 monopod because it's not locking properly into the vertical/downward position. As Vman said, send Kasey a private message. They will make it right.

Aussie700P, exactly how did you "pushed the top of the device against the stock again"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Aussie700P, exactly how did you "pushed the top of the device against the stock again"?</div></div>

I know why you're wondering why I said that: I know that to install the device one is meant to attach the mechanism to the stud and then screw the disc/nut closest to the stock upward, securing the device to the stock. I did that the first time and worked well.

The second time I put the monopod on, however, once I tightened the screw that needs the Allen key I could not even move the uppermost disc/ nut. It was jammed in position for the same reason it is coming loose - the screw is falling into the joint that allows the device to fold away - it is physically moving the polymer support (that touched the stock) down - and this presses on the disc and it can't be moved at all.

So when I say I pressed the device against the stock I just mean I held the polymer support in place and tightened the screw without using the nut so it wouldnt jam in place - not to secure it permanently, just to diagnose what was happening - though, still came annoyingly loose.

Tried using the nut and loosening it when it seemed to jam up as I tightened the Allen screw - same result as just not using the nut at all - the screw would be tight but the support would be loose.

I really need to show you the photo of where the screw has been hitting - that'll be the best explanation - and you can see it's done some minor damage in my attempts to tighten the thing as well. I'll get that photo up within 12 hrs

Perfect, I was hoping you knew to use the top Thumbnut to tighten the Stock Collar (which so you know is 6061T6 Aluminum with a rubber cushion on the mating surface) to the stock. And the correct way to install it is to do just that, with enough force on the Thumbnut that the Stock collar is tight with zero movement on the stock. Then set the set screw IF you want to dedicate it to that stock. Once that set screw is tight, it will take both hands and a grunt to break the Thumbnut loose.

I know where the set screw is hitting, in the slot that is machined into the Sling Swivel. We run into this in about 1 in 750-1000 units sold.

The solution is simple, remove the monopod, remove the Sling Stud and add a washer under the Sling Stud. This allows the Swivel when attached to drop deeper into the Stock Collar which means the Set Screw will hit above the slot.

Savvy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The solution is simple, remove the monopod, remove the Sling Stud and add a washer under the Sling Stud. This allows the Swivel when attached to drop deeper into the Stock Collar which means the Set Screw will hit above the slot.

Savvy?</div></div>
Sweet biscuits - easily done.
Thanks mate!

This this: pic
..there is a hole the same size as a standard rem 700 swivel stud ready for attaching any sling gear

Unfortunately the issue with the monopod being loose on the stock has popped up again, despite the installation of the washer. I cut a tiny piece of sheet metal and inserted it where the screw is meant to have contact and secure to the metal wall. It's secure now - but means I won't be taking it off for a long while.