• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

accu wedge

montana3gunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2008
Helena Montana
I've got a little slop in my .308 DPMS upper/lower. Do the accu wedges work in the .308's or just .223?

If they do work, would you recommend them?

Thanks for the input.

Re: accu wedge

They should work with any caliber, it just makes a tighter fit between the upper and lower. I have one in my DPMS .223, never really noticed anything for accuracy with it, just took some of the play out of the two halves.

I did have to trim mine down a little bit, as the fit was super tight.

Upper to lower fit has no impact on accuracy. The sights/scope and barrel are all on the upper receiver.

I tried installing one in an Armalite AR10 years ago and I had to grind away a lot of the rubber to make it fit. In the end I scraped it.

If you need to tighten up the fit of the top and lower half of a 308 caliber AR system use the JP tension pin (jprifles.com). It works.

Put a o ring around the front recoil lug thingy.
smile.gif
Sorry, forgot the name of it.

O Ring Method

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Upper to lower fit has no impact on accuracy. The sights/scope and barrel are all on the upper receiver. </div></div>
Trigger group and recoil buffer tube is in lower.
I dont know how much impact that has, but, trigger control has alot of impact. If the fit has "slop" , it would seem to me that would impact same as poor trigger control.
Just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattsnuked</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They won't work for the DPMS 308. </div></div>
Thats funny, I use them on all my DPMS .308s

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slickrick0999</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Upper to lower fit has no impact on accuracy. The sights/scope and barrel are all on the upper receiver. </div></div>
I dont know how much impact that has, but, trigger control has alot of impact. If the fit has "slop" , it would seem to me that would impact same as poor trigger control.
Just my .02 </div></div>

How would pulling the trigger separate the lower from the upper if there was slop present?

Thank you for all of the input guys, I appreciate it!

Strangedays - did you use the standard accuwedge on your DPMS .308 or is there another one out there for the .308s? I haven't seen one, but you never know.

M3G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slickrick0999</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Upper to lower fit has no impact on accuracy. The sights/scope and barrel are all on the upper receiver. </div></div>
Just my .02 </div></div>

How would pulling the trigger separate the lower from the upper if there was slop present?</div></div>

Probably wouldn't "separate" it but if it may have some effect on how straight the trigger pull is in relation to the barrel??

Slop in your cars steering should have no effect on how tightly you can turn your car, but it will effect how easy your car is to drive.

Slop in the upper/lower interface makes steering corrections through the pistol grip less precise.
If you haven't reached that level of precision rifle manipulation, than it will have zero effect on your shooting.

If you want to tighten the slop up, through a foam ear plug in there. Done, for a fraction of the cost.
Also when using an accuwedge, it puts the upper and lower in more constant relationship to each other. This aids in accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Recko555</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to tighten the slop up, through a foam ear plug in there. Done, for a fraction of the cost.
Also when using an accuwedge, it puts the upper and lower in more constant relationship to each other. This aids in accuracy. </div></div>I fit all my AR10's with the Armalite match oversized pins. Unfortunately (IIRC) the DPMS uses AR15 size pins on their .308's, but you could use the Armalite match oversized M15 pins.
JMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana3gunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for all of the input guys, I appreciate it!

Strangedays - did you use the standard accuwedge on your DPMS .308 or is there another one out there for the .308s? I haven't seen one, but you never know.

M3G </div></div>
Just the buy the basic one and trim to fit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DPMS sells them to fit their .308's </div></div>
They only sell one nothing made just for the .308s FYI

I put this question once to one the head guru's at the AMU at Benning and the answer I got was accu-wedges don't matter.

Accu Wedge is pointless. I had a older Ar that I could see daylight between upper/lower and it rattled when shook. Installed an Accu Wedge and the difference in accuracy was zip, nada, nonexistent.

As Recko555 said, it makes the relationship between the upper and lower constant and repeatable. Kinda like using a torque wrench on your bolt gun... For the few $ they cost, it's just some extra peace of mind, and it eliminates the clunky rifle, regardless if there is a noticeable effect on accuracy or not.

I think that for AMU's purposes, he's right.

I also think that in terms of absolute accuracy, anything which reduces vibration should have some benefit, but I'm thinking that they would only have a real bearing on absolute accuracy applications, and honestly, I seldom consider the AR platform for that extreme degree of accuracy. Oh yes, there are some gems out there, but they fall few and far between, IMHO.

Greg

I agree with Greg. To clarify the AR I mentioned was an issued rifle and was only used for up close encounters. I carried a Darrell Holland bolt gun in a dragbag when I needed extreme accuracy. So I didn't look to making the AR accurate I just wanted to stop the rattle and any additional accuracy would have been icing on the cake.I didn't see much in the way of accuracy increase but it was always reliable.

I use one on a DPMS Bull 20 and it does help on this rifle...makes it quiet and feel much better. I don't see any change in groups. My Rock River Car4 does not have enough room to use the wedge unless I cut it down to nothing. It is very tight already. Both rifles shoot/group well but neither is used >300yds.