• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accubond vs Berger vs barnes

Bullet choice (factory loaded) for trophy whitetail, muledeer, speedgoat, smaller exotics

• Total voters

WoobieJ

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2012
West Texas
Interested to hear y’all’s opinion/preferences for best factory loaded bullet for trophy whitetail, mule deer, smaller exotic, pronghorn inside 500 yards.

Buy a box of each and see what shoots best in your rifle.

Then buy several boxes of that and practice from field replicated positions.

Reactions: WoobieJ
The Berger ammunition with 135 hybrids is quite good. Assuming this is 6.5 creedmoor.

Buy a box of each and see what shoots best in your rifle.

Then buy several boxes of that and practice from field replicated positions.
My rifle likes all of them, but the 127 the least. It’s a .25-.5MOA rifle, but with 127s it’s a 1 MOA rifle. So all are acceptable for within 500.

Killed a lot of stuff with the Accubonds and Barnes (TSX and TTSX, not LRX). Either is a solid option, but I definitely like a higher impact velocity with the Barnes than they advertise as being acceptable.

Bergers will kill em. Normally make a mess of the boiler room, but sometimes doesn’t make it all the way through. Two bullets have been recovered on the opposite side, right under the skin. Latest example…

.257 115 Berger VLD Hunting.

C5DFF7EE-3837-457D-9626-DC4CC5F97EC4.jpeg

51.5 grains when found

D89C2869-E513-42E2-8A08-7CF33CA7F1EF.jpeg

Shot through the heart, ran about 25-30 yards. Boiler room was a real mess

Bergers will kill em. Normally make a mess of the boiler room, but sometimes doesn’t make it all the way through. Two bullets have been recovered on the opposite side, right under the skin. Latest example…

.257 115 Berger VLD Hunting.

View attachment 8272179

51.5 grains when found

View attachment 8272180

Shot through the heart, ran about 25-30 yards. Boiler room was a real mess
I’m cool with makin a mess I just want to be sure they open up good enough to make the switch

I’m cool with makin a mess I just want to be sure they open up good enough to make the switch
Problem is not opening up, problem is not much is left of the bullet. Pass through and blood trail do not always exist. But the deer shot with it (with one exception) rarely go far. (The exception was poor shot placement on my part, really stupid because the deer was hardly 40 yards off.). Deer died and was found, but she ran a good hundred yards or more though some of the roughest cutover one can imagine.

Problem is not opening up, problem is not much is left of the bullet. Pass through and blood trail do not always exist. But the deer shot with it (with one exception) rarely go far. (The exception was poor shot placement on my part, really stupid because the deer was hardly 40 yards off.). Deer died and was found, but she ran a good hundred yards or more though some of the roughest cutover one can imagine.
I gotcha. Thanks for your input. It seems like high shoulder is where everyone likes to put bullets like the Berger to anchor them so I may start trying that.