• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy and torque on rem 700

Clayed21085

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2020
Can anyone say without a doubt that tinkering with there action screw torque has improved their groups dramatically? I've seen videos of adjusting "less" than the recommended torque settings and achieving better groups, or just the opposite, adjusting "more" than recommended. Your thoughts/experiences.

It really depends on what stock you have. The hs precision and Bell and Carlson stocks do good at 65 INCH pounds. The plastic stocks tend to need about 40ish inch pounds on the action screws and about 20 inch pounds on the trigger screw. The best advice I can give you is to remember it’s inch pounds

Reactions: Steel+Killer
Can anyone say without a doubt that tinkering with there action screw torque has improved their groups dramatically? I've seen videos of adjusting "less" than the recommended torque settings and achieving better groups, or just the opposite, adjusting "more" than recommended. Your thoughts/experiences.

Also, when you are going to adjust your action screws be sure to back them off completely and make sure they are completely loose before starting. Then start with the forward one 1st the one closest to the muzzle then do the rear one last. Good luck and enjoy...

Mike R.

Do you torque them down in stages, or do you torque the first one straight to 65 inch/lbs and then the second one?

In stages about like changing a tire.

It really depends on what stock you have. The hs precision and Bell and Carlson stocks do good at 65 INCH pounds. The plastic stocks tend to need about 40ish inch pounds on the action screws and about 20 inch pounds on the trigger screw. The best advice I can give you is to remember it’s inch pounds
^^^^^^The above has been my experience as well.^^^^^^

Reactions: jcmullis2