• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Accuracy assistance

kcharn2

Private
Minuteman
Supporter+
Feb 17, 2024
Newton, NC
Rifle--Cobalt Kinetics Elite 22" in 6mm ARC
Glass--Vortex Razor HD Gen II
Mount--Spuhr QDP (25ft-lb to rail, 15ft-lb to scope)
Ammo--Hornady ELD Match 108g 6mm ARC
Bubble level utilized to remain true

Solid zero at 100yrd, few inches LEFT at 300yd, much farther LEFT at 900yrd (no wind)

Correct windage at 300yrd internally, go back to 100yd and POI RIGHT of POA

In archery I'd do walk-back tuning to get my arrow rest true to the string and sight pins, but I'm at a loss what's the correct next step with this rifle.

Welcome to the world of trouble shooting. There's a whole laundry list of issues that could be going on here. In no particular order: Cheek weld issue i.e. you're leaning into the stock too much. Gas guns will exploit and magnify all shooting fundamental errors. Trigger control and follow-up is another fundamental issue worth taking a closer look at. The scope mount could be out of spec or the scope mount may be fine, but the upper rail it's mounted to might have a slight taper machined into it. You'll have to check both mount and upper. Check the rail for any burrs or dents along the edges that the mount clamps onto. Check the I.D. of the mount for dents or burrs. Other possibilities could be the extension bore in the upper is not machined straight, could be pointing your barrel slightly to the left. Barrel and/or ammo could be the culprit. The scope itself is out-of-whack. Or any combination of the above and/or something I haven't listed yet, as this list here is just off the top of my head.

No wind that you could perceive. The wind is variable and needs to be held based on conditions.

My crosshairs are never on the target at distance unless it’s a rare and genuine no-wind, or head/tailwind conditions.

One thing about LR shooting is that it isn’t static. It’s far more dynamic than I initially thought it would be.

I’m still chasing wind calls after decades of doing it in a capacity where it’s my job.

Last edited:
Nothing about mid range wind or mirage. Betting you have cross wind out aways, maybe mirage is distorting you POA.

Reactions: BCP
I'd probably start with the optic-mount-receiver interface and make sure everything is level. Maybe drop a plumb line and use the flashlight trick if you have to.

It's amazing what 1-2° of cant will do at distance.

Sometimes a problem like that is the optic mounted to the side of the barrel axis; i.e. scope crosshair not directly above the bore. A side-mounted scope on a Garand would be an extreme example. Or, as mentioned above, constantly canting the rifle to the left.

Reactions: LRRPF52
Bullets don’t fly true for 100 yards and then start veering around….unless there’s wind. So. How sure are you about that zero? Is your parallax completely managed at 100 and 300 especially? The zero is dead nuts centered?

A couple inches off at 300 is nearly ”an MOA”…which would show up at 100 as being off by .75” or so. So, do a tracking test at 100 to make sure it’s not a scope issue…does the impact track straight up a plumb line at 1 mil and 3 mils and 8 mils?….pay very close attention to level while doing this. Are you certain that your reticle is level and remains so when you shoulder the rifle? If it does track true, it’s likely that there’s wind you aren’t sensing or when you shift to the longer targets you are canting the rifle or changing the way you are holding it (bench to prone, more cheek pressure, for example) which is driving the bullets left.

"Mount--Spuhr QDP (25ft-lb to rail, 15ft-lb to scope)"

OP: I'm guessing 'ft-lb' must just be a ring torque typo, but I can't see how a torque setting applies to adjusting the QD clamps to the pic rail. But if something was misread, and 15-25 ft-lb got applied to anything, probably not good for alignment.

"Mount--Spuhr QDP (25ft-lb to rail, 15ft-lb to scope)"

OP: I'm guessing 'ft-lb' must just be a ring torque typo, but I can't see how a torque setting applies to adjusting the QD clamps to the pic rail. But if something was misread, and 15-25 ft-lb got applied to anything, probably not good for alignment.
I definitely hope that was supposed to be In-lbs and not ft-lbs