• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy gains with XLR Chassis

buds444

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2011
Utah
Evening all,

I have a Remington 700 in .308. As it sits it shoots right around 1 moa in its factory stock. I consider myself lucky that without modification it has decent accuracy. My question revolves around the accuracy gains that I could expect from putting my rifle in an xlr chassis. I really like the look, the fact that I don't have to mess with any DBM installation, and I'm hoping it would potentially help me gain some accuracy as a nice stock would. Anybody have any experience with what I could expect from the rifle if I made the swap? Thanks for the help.

The only correct answer: it depends
You might have something else than the current stock causing this level of accuracy. Might be mostly the barrel, might be mostly the the ammo.
I'd try load development or different ammo before a new stock. Depending on what stock you have though. If it's a nylon one (like the sps-v), I'd get the stock for sure.

I can with about 99% certainty say it won't get any worse.

I went from 1.5" regular groups to consistent 0.75" groups IF I do my part. Best being a 0.3".

Biggest change was consistency, really got rid of the random flyers I was having.

Edit: Went from the crappy hogue sps stock

Bedding almost always helps a standard stock rifle. Chassis are the equivalent of bedding a standard stock.

I love my XLR chassis.

Last edited:
With the chassis being adjustable, you will pick up consistency right there. My great shooting Savage in a B&C Medalist, shoots even better in the McRee Chassis it in right now. It feeds better through the AIC mags, and is most of all , comfortable adjust to my liking.

I think that is the answer I was looking for. If bedding an action is the same as putting it in a chassis, then I think that fits my bill. I either will be needing to get a new stock and bedding it there, or getting a chassis.

There would not be much difference in action to stock fit between a chassis and a bedding block stock(hs&bc). They both have a rounded bedding surface that mimics a "standard m700 action", if ur action is warped then the stock will not compensate for that like a proper devcon bed job. An AI stock with the v bedding would be good or a Mcree. I tried a xlr on a custom tikka the machine work and attention to detail, combined with light wt was great. I could never get comfortable and consistent behind the rifle, it now wears a krg w3.

100yrds.jpg

this is my 100 yard sight in 5 rounds I need a one more rear sand bag to get a studier hold
IMG_4986 (1280x559).jpg