• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy Improvement After Bedding

*rim-star*

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2014
Just curious as to how much accuracy improvement some of you have seen before/after bedding your rimfire 22. I have bedded several for myself and others in the past and have seen slight improvement but never anything drastic. You input appreciated.

The best response is probably: There might be some. Do it and find out.

It can vary from no improvement, to massive improvement... depending on how well the action sits with the present inlet.

Suffice it to say, it isn't a variable any serious shooter will allow to exist. Every rifle worth a spit I own, is bedded, by a pro.

Reactions: Newbie2020
Don't listen to that ^^ guy...

:LOL:
giphy.gif

Very dependent on the action design and stock fit to begin with. A lot of old 22's have a single action screw like the Remington 510 family. Bedding can have a huge effect on something like that.

Pillared and bedded my Quad to keep my sanity.
It was always hard to find the best (the REALLY best) torque amount after removing action for maintenance / stock oiling etc. and I could not be sure that the best torque would not change between seasons.
I usually ended somewhere around 1.2Nm / 10.5in-lbs.

I did a test with Polar Biathlon, then my best performing ammo lot, before and after bedding.
The groups were captured to TargetScan, with and without the the pulled shots as I wanted to see how the gun works, not me.

I would say that if you torque test the action screws properly you basically get no better results or a small gain from bedding.
That said, my torque wrench (which has other uses also) cost me near 200, which is similar to what the pillar bedding job cost.

It seems
Bedding removes the effect of inproper inletting
Pillaring removes most problems with torque.

If you do stuff to your rimfire gun to make it a better shooter, I would add bedding (maybe with pillars) to the list, I would definitely do it again.

I usually bed all my rifles. Easy to do yourself. Accuracy is open for interpretation when it comes to bedding but, the main reason I do it is consistency consistency consistency. Your action and stock/chassis join together perfectly and do it every time you take your rifle apart.