• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International 223 Bolt

Sportin Wood

Team Hardwood
Minuteman
  • Jul 17, 2010
    The Woods, WA
    Well I've searched the internet high and low, in and out, and only found 1 thread on here from 2010, about the chances of AI ever coming out with bolt the .384 +/- boltface so we can run a switchbarrel 223. The idea wasnt dismissed fully, but said at the current time there wasn't any plans on it. Now that we are here almost 3 years later, is there any chance that AI will ever come out with a bolt that I can easily swap out along with the barrel and run a cheap trainer??

On another note, I've heard that someone looked into seeing if anybody could have one machined... If that person was able to figure it out, please shoot me a PM!!

Re: Accuracy International 223 Bolt

I've asked the same question of Tom Irwin; he said a .223 bolt is on their list of things to do but not near the top of that list.

It seems AI did a very limited run of AW-Varminters back around 2000 and one of the calibers they were available in was .223. Now that .223 mags are available for the AICS/AE it seems logical to start making .223 bolts again.

If AI would release an AE with a .223 bolt I would be on the phone ordering one chambered in .223AI as soon as I could get the cell phone out of my pocket and pull up MHSA from the contact list. I'd love to replace my current R700/AICS .223 build with an AIAE in .223AI.
    smile.gif

All I need is the bolt.. I can have Benchmark run me up a 223 barrel... But it would be SOOOOOO nice to have as a cheap trainer and not wear out my 243 barrel so quick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I need is the bolt.. I can have Benchmark run me up a 223 barrel... But it would be SOOOOOO nice to have as a cheap trainer and not wear out my 243 barrel so quick </div></div>

I hear you-- I could either pick up a .223 bolt for my current AE or just buy another complete AE; I'd probably choose the latter option as I would be replacing an R700 in .223.

I hope they get to making the .223 bolts sooner rather than later. I've pestered both MHSA and Tom Irwin about it a couple of times this year, I know we're not the only two who would like to see them available!

Will just ask the question. Why not just use the .308?

Then it all stays the same? I have played with the idea of a .223 trainer and have yet to answer why .223 over .308?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will just ask the question. Why not just use the .308?

Then it all stays the same? I have played with the idea of a .223 trainer and have yet to answer why .223 over .308? </div></div>

I can't speak for Stan; in my case I want an AE in .223 for a ground squirrel pounder. I thought about having Dave spin up a .22-250 barrel for my current AE but I'd shoot that out in very short order. I'd much prefer a .223AI launching 75gr Amaxes for high volume critter blasting.

Easy. Price of reloading. 1/2 the powder in each case, bullets are way cheaper, depending on brass make its cheaper too. The point of the trainer is rounds down range. If I can double the amount of rounds downrange for the same cost, then why not. Plus like Kiba said... it makes for one hell of a varminter round with very little kick

Don't know if it would be possible due to the extractor, but does anyone know if it would be possible to use a bushing on the boltface like you can on remingtons?

I'm in for one. I think the majority of AI shooters would want one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easy. Price of reloading. 1/2 the powder in each case, bullets are way cheaper, depending on brass make its cheaper too. The point of the trainer is rounds down range. If I can double the amount of rounds downrange for the same cost, then why not?</div></div>If I remember correctly, an AI bolt runs about $1300. Add in a barrel at $600 or so and you gotta shoot quite a bit to save more than you spend.

Not trying to discourage you, but I think you'll need to shoot 10k rounds or so to break even.

Bushing the bolt face is not an option because of the extractor design.

Another option would be the 22 BR case shooting moderatley heavy bullets. Hell even the 6 BR. I think you might need some dedicated mags modified for the BR round but playing around with it here on the bench I think it should work.

Will a 6XC work?

I mean: Using standard magazines?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will a 6XC work?

I mean: Using standard magazines? </div></div>

no problem

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easy. Price of reloading. 1/2 the powder in each case, bullets are way cheaper, depending on brass make its cheaper too. The point of the trainer is rounds down range. If I can double the amount of rounds downrange for the same cost, then why not. Plus like Kiba said... it makes for one hell of a varminter round with very little kick </div></div>

Buying an ai and complaining about the cost of ammo is akin to bitching about your ferrari.and its shitty mileage.

Or you can do what I did. AX Chassis + 40x .22lr. The way mine is setup the only difference is the bolt throw, and the most minor of differences with a xtreme 2 stage trigger on it.

19Scout77, for me it wasn't the cost of ammo. But burning out a .260 barrel and the lead times associated with getting a new one that then needs to be dialed in with ammo etc.

Been wanting that 223 bolt for about...forever.

Guessing it's not the bolt head that is troublesome, I think the mag pickup and feed would cause more issue.

AI makes the .223 mag but no rifle to use it in...tease.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easy. Price of reloading. 1/2 the powder in each case, bullets are way cheaper, depending on brass make its cheaper too. The point of the trainer is rounds down range. If I can double the amount of rounds downrange for the same cost, then why not. Plus like Kiba said... it makes for one hell of a varminter round with very little kick</div></div>

your kidding right, odds of you shooting out the barrel are slim and none! There is a better chance of me shooting out a 308 barrel which isn't going to happen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TeamSendIt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easy. Price of reloading. 1/2 the powder in each case, bullets are way cheaper, depending on brass make its cheaper too. The point of the trainer is rounds down range. If I can double the amount of rounds downrange for the same cost, then why not. Plus like Kiba said... it makes for one hell of a varminter round with very little kick</div></div>

your kidding right, odds of you shooting out the barrel are slim and none! There is a better chance of me shooting out a 308 barrel which isn't going to happen </div></div>

Where in that post was there a comment about shooting out a 223/308 barrel? Only comment is twice as many rounds down range for 1/2 the cost as in I can shoot 2 223 relaods at the same price as 1 308 reload....????

Worry about shooting out your 243 barrel when you get to 1000 round mark. Ai doesn't work with small rifle primers. Firing pin is to large and will blow primers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TeamSendIt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Worry about shooting out your 243 barrel when you get to 1000 round mark. Ai doesn't work with small rifle primers. Firing pin is to large and will blow primers. </div></div>

I've got an AW chambered in 6BR with close to two thousand rounds through it and I've never had a blown primer. FWIW.

I have seen a .223 AI bolt. Back when a friend of mine was an AI Distributor, we went to the shop in Oak Ridge and they had a bolt, but would not sell it. They also had several experimental barrels that they had made that we bought. One of the barrels was a light weight design that they had made for the Navy in .300WM but the project was shut down due to recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NSO123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen a .223 AI bolt. Back when a friend of mine was an AI Distributor, we went to the shop in Oak Ridge and they had a bolt, but would not sell it. They also had several experimental barrels that they had made that we bought. One of the barrels was a light weight design that they had made for the Navy in .300WM but the project was shut down due to recoil. </div></div>

I'd like to hear more about this
    laugh.gif

Which part? I am going to post the 300WM barrel up for sale after I get back from the range today. They always had some interesting stuff in desk drawers and stuck around the shop. My buddy was the type to ask about their crazy stuff. Got ahold of a couple of their short barrels for the integral can too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NSO123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen a .223 AI bolt. Back when a friend of mine was an AI Distributor, we went to the shop in Oak Ridge and they had a bolt, but would not sell it. They also had several experimental barrels that they had made that we bought. One of the barrels was a light weight design that they had made for the Navy in .300WM but the project was shut down due to recoil. </div></div>

I'd like to hear more about this
    laugh.gif
    </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NSO123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Got ahold of a couple of their short barrels for the integral can too.</div></div>

You have one or acouple?? Any interest in selling one??
    laugh.gif

I would totally buy a 223 bolt for my AE... I'd even go so far as to consider buying a complete rifle.

Then the idea of a 10" SBR in 300 black out seems even more entertaining...

Believe me, an attempt was made to buy that one. It was not for sale, no matter how much begging or arm twisting was involved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheIllusiveMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would totally buy a 223 bolt for my AE... I'd even go so far as to consider buying a complete rifle.

Then the idea of a 10" SBR in 300 black out seems even more entertaining... </div></div>

I can't wait for AI or DTA to do a .223 conversion so I can consolidate my rifles.

In the same boat for my M2008, emailed and ask Marty in a phone conversation. Ended up having another rifle built.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cjgemm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the same boat for my M2008, emailed and ask Marty in a phone conversation. Ended up having another rifle built. </div></div>

I asked him as well. His response was that the bolt has too large a diameter to feed .223 effectively.

Here is some old lit from AI showing their varmint rifle. If anyone wants the complete catalog pm me your e-mail address & i'll send it.

AIcover.jpg

AIP5.jpg

AIP6.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cegorach</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> His response was that the bolt has too large a diameter to feed .223 effectively. </div></div>

Its been done before in a AI.. but we as concumers need to alert AI to the fact that we'd ike to see these bolts made again so they can put it on their list of items to do....