• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AE MKII vs AICS Clone

ruth

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2010
Guys,

With regards to AE MKII, just how different is this rifle than any other rifle in a AICS?

The actions are removable on both, unlike the AW.

MKII and AICS use same magazines.

Seems like the MKII doesn't really offer anything that a custom/Rem action in AICS can't provide and for alot cheaper.

Doc Ruth

Re: Accuracy International AE MKII vs AICS Clone

Never underestimate the AE... back with the Mk1 there were differences, not anymore.

As well I am pretty sick and tired of the custom actions not standing up to use and abuse, especially for the money.

AE - No wait, out of the box performance, not to mention, it's an Accuracy International, <span style="font-weight: bold">everything else -- isn't.</span>

In the last 7 days I mailed a custom Nesika K Model in an AICS to GAP because after 12,000 rounds <span style="text-decoration: underline"> the action was completely shit, basically unserviceable,</span> and Saturday I signed over a new AE Mk 2, ought to say something right there about custom versus... not to mention the 5 page post on the subject last month.

Yes I'm familiar with the custom vs AI thread, however my point is that I just don't think the MKII is that much different than any other action in a AICS stock?

Besides the 3 lug 60 degree bolt and 2 stage trigger the MKII is the same as if I would take a regular 700 action and drop it in a AICS stock. For me the MKII just doesn't bring much to the table as opposed to it's bigger brother the AW.

Am I wrong on this?

Forgot to add that for the price of the MKII I think the buyer should consider a TRG22. Or keep saving and get a MIl spec AW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ruth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....I'm I wrong on this? </div></div>

yes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
In the last 7 days I mailed a custom Nesika K Model in an AICS to GAP because after 12,000 rounds <span style="text-decoration: underline"> the action was completely shit, basically unserviceable,</span> and Saturday I signed over a new AE Mk 2, ought to say something right there about custom versus... not to mention the 5 page post on the subject last month. </div></div>

12,000 rounds seems unreasonable for a custom action. What happened to it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ruth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forgot to add that for the price of the MKII I think the buyer should consider a TRG22. Or keep saving and get a MIl spec AW. </div></div>

Asked and answered:

AI AW.....Talk me into or out of it
- It's almost painful for me to go back and read this.....

Unless you HAVE to have the AW, an AE Mk II will do just fine. I caught a deal on mine, and don't regret the AW either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ruth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes I'm familiar with the custom vs AI thread, however my point is that I just don't think the MKII is that much different than any other action in a AICS stock?

Besides the 3 lug 60 degree bolt and 2 stage trigger the MKII is the same as if I would take a regular 700 action and drop it in a AICS stock. For me the MKII just doesn't bring much to the table as opposed to it's bigger brother the AW.

Am I wrong on this?</div></div>

Please have you even touched or shot one...

And why would you need an AW honestly, same stock, same barrel, bolts are interchangeable only difference is a position on the safety. I would take an AE action over any Custom Action out there... period. Tolerances matter, and tight tolerances can't handle the dirt and debris that will find its way to a rifle that is actually used in the field.

If you think you would need an AW, you'll never survive a custom action in the same situation, but an AE will.

Seriously, we already hashed this out..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ruth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes I'm familiar with the custom vs AI thread, however my point is that I just don't think the MKII is that much different than any other action in a AICS stock?

Am I wrong on this?</div></div>

Please have you even touched or shot one...

And why would you need an AW honestly, same stock, same barrel, bolts are interchangeable only difference is a position on the safety. I would take an AE action over any Custom Action out there... period. Tolerances matter, and tight tolerances can't handle the dirt and debris that will find its way to a rifle that is actually used in the field.

If you think you would need an AW, you'll never survive a custom action in the same situation, but an AE will.

Seriously, we already hashed this out.. </div></div>

In short, get the AW if your budget allows it, or if there's some particular feature available only on the AW that you can't live without. Otherwise, buy the AE and be happy knowing that you've got the exact same quality, reliability, and durability as the AW. It'll work and survive as well as anything out there ever made. The same cannot always be said for the custom actions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I wrong on this?</div></div>

Yes. I first encountered the AE at the 2003 Spirit of America match in at the NRA Whittington Center. When I ran the bolt and snapped the trigger, I said, "Ahh - that's it!"

I ordered one immediately. It's still my primary rifle.

They're built right. There is simply no comparison to a 700 action in the smoothness of the action and the precision of the trigger.

P.S. - the AE which sold me belonged to Lowlight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I wrong on this?</div></div>

Yes. I first encountered the AE at the 2003 Spirit of America match in at the NRA Whittington Center. When I ran the bolt and snapped the trigger, I said, "Ahh - that's it!"

I ordered one immediately. It's still my primary rifle.

They're built right. There is simply no comparison to a 700 action in the smoothness of the action and the precision of the trigger.

P.S. - the AE which sold me belonged to Lowlight.
</div></div>

Hey, you know who to call if you ever want a second AE.
wink.gif

ruth,

I went down this road a couple months ago.

I had to choose between a custom action or the AI. I evaluated all the options and spoke with folks who had used each of the candidates. I thought back to failures I have seen at matches. I did the math and added up the cost.

When it all came down to it I called SRT and ordered a new AI AE MkII. I was not able to find an AE owner who was unhappy with the rifle. The only complaints I could find were either with the proprietary five shot mag (solved on the MkII) or the weight of the system. I have only heard of one AE malfunction in an operational rifle and that was due to some debris getting into the trigger. I have never heard of one breaking at a match (although I am sure somewhere, sometime it has probably occured).

I have run Remington 700's for most of my life. I really do think it's one of the best factory actions out there. The AE just outclasses it in every way. The AE exhibits the quality of a custom in a production rifle.

Finally, I placed and order for my AE MkII and it shipped the same day. That wasn't "whatever you have is what I will take". That was me calling SRT and telling Jonathan exactly what I wanted.

I only have 300 rounds through the AE now since work has been killing me, but I have at least a hundred hours behind the rifle working the action. It is incredibly smooth and the trigger is perfect for a field/tactical rifle.

In short, there is absolutely NO comparison between an AE MkII and a 700 in a AICS.

Now when I was shopping, I asked everyone about the AW/AE differences. I got the same answer from everyone. If I want "the best" because it's the best then get the AW. If I care about function then get the AE. It's 90% of the AW for much less. In fact they are so close you can swap bolts between them and have them headspace correcly. The only functional drawback for the AE is that you cannot lock the bolt closed and you cannot change barrels without pulling the action from the chassis. I decided I could suffer those differences for the savings. Accuracy will be a wash between the two.

I've had full customs, I've had Rem 700 actions in AICS, and I have an AI AE MkII. I now only have the AE MkII, best purchase I ever made. There IS a difference.

I sent Jonathan a PM and briefly asked about an AE. Its my next purchase after I sell some other stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tinbendur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sent Jonathan a PM and briefly asked about an AE. Its my next purchase after I sell some other stuff. </div></div>

I called SRT today and was told that Jonathan is no longer working there. Just FYI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brasscow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tinbendur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sent Jonathan a PM and briefly asked about an AE. Its my next purchase after I sell some other stuff. </div></div>

I called SRT today and was told that Jonathan is no longer working there. Just FYI. </div></div>

Hmmmmmmm?
confused.gif
My last PM from him was on 9-30-10.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tinbendur</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brasscow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tinbendur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sent Jonathan a PM and briefly asked about an AE. Its my next purchase after I sell some other stuff. </div></div>

I called SRT today and was told that Jonathan is no longer working there. Just FYI. </div></div>

Hmmmmmmm?
confused.gif
My last PM from him was on 9-30-10. </div></div>

Not sure... But I talked to Chris. He checked stock of the rifle I wanted and then quoted me the factory MSRP. I asked him if that was his best price and he said it was. I asked if it included shipping and he said he could include ground shipping. I hung up the phone and made two phone calls to find the model I was looking for in stock somewhere else and ordered it for $500 less.

I've owned many customs. I'm down to 2 sticks (other than my 50 BMG's)A AWSM in 338LM and an AE in 308 both with S&B glass. I'm completely satisfied.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brasscow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tinbendur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sent Jonathan a PM and briefly asked about an AE. Its my next purchase after I sell some other stuff. </div></div>

I called SRT today and was told that Jonathan is no longer working there. Just FYI.</div></div>

Hey now! :p

I am indeed here, just not in the office right now. Send me a PM or e-mail if you've got questions or need a quote on a rifle.

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brasscow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tinbendur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sent Jonathan a PM and briefly asked about an AE. Its my next purchase after I sell some other stuff. </div></div>

I called SRT today and was told that Jonathan is no longer working there. Just FYI.</div></div>

I am indeed here, just not in the office right now. Send me a PM or e-mail if you've got questions or need a quote on a rifle.

Thanks!</div></div> The lady on the phone made it quite clear that Jonathan was no longer employed by SRT. She directed me to speak with Chris.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brasscow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brasscow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tinbendur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sent Jonathan a PM and briefly asked about an AE. Its my next purchase after I sell some other stuff. </div></div>

Thanks!</div></div> The lady on the phone made it quite clear that Jonathan was no longer employed by SRT. She directed me to speak with Chris.</div></div>

To quote Twain, "Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated."

I've been busy taking a recent course at Rifles Only, and visiting family, but I'm still here as always to answer questions and handle sales. We've recently gotten in a large number of new and backordered items, including Atlas V8 bipods, AI stocksides, the new AI cheekpiece thumbscrews, target adjustable buttpads, AI picatinny and dovetail scopemounts, and much more...let me know if you need anything else, and keep an eye on our website!

Right there he is. Maybe the lady in the office needs to call him.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I wrong on this?</div></div>Yes. I first encountered the AE at the 2003 Spirit of America match in at the NRA Whittington Center. When I ran the bolt and snapped the trigger, I said, "Ahh - that's it!" I ordered one immediately. It's still my primary rifle. They're built right. There is simply no comparison to a 700 action in the smoothness of the action and the precision of the trigger. P.S. - the AE which sold me belonged to Lowlight.</div></div>There's absolutely no comparison between an AE and a Rem 700. My first AE MK I is still my match gun. And I just took delivery of a second AE MK I, which happens to be <span style="text-decoration: underline">the</span> bargain in quality rifles right now. In a few years I will likely be looking for a MK II, but not because I will need one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are putting a rifle in an AICS, there is no reason to buy anything but a MKII. </div></div>

Well there is one.

AE MKII = $3400

700 action $350
barrel $280
Gunsmith work $500
AICS $850
Badger rail $150
--------------------
Total $2230 Save $1270 or a free Leupold mk4

I'm not knocking the AE at all its a great platform but the 700 is still a player.And if you do have a failure parts are abundent dirt cheap and ANY competent smith can work on them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are putting a rifle in an AICS, there is no reason to buy anything but a MKII. </div></div>

Well there is one.

AE MKII = $3400

700 action $350
barrel $280
Gunsmith work $500
AICS $850
Badger rail $150
--------------------

I'm not knocking the AE at all its a great platform but the 700 is still a player.And if you do have a failure parts are abundent dirt cheap and ANY competent smith can work on them. </div></div>

And I doubt that rifle you've just outlined would compare well to the AE in terms of accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are putting a rifle in an AICS, there is no reason to buy anything but a MKII. </div></div>

Well there is one.

AE MKII = $3400

700 action $350
barrel $280
Gunsmith work $500
AICS $850
Badger rail $150
--------------------

I'm not knocking the AE at all its a great platform but the 700 is still a player.And if you do have a failure parts are abundent dirt cheap and ANY competent smith can work on them.</div></div>

That is classic,

Call anyone of the gunsmiths on here and tell them you have $2300 and you want a custom 700 in a chassis and see what they say, not to mention the time to get it.

And while a 700 is good, I love them, it's not a AE action which is closer to a Templar or Surgeon, do the math on one of those builds... Easily you'll spend over $3k for a custom build that is Apples to Apples with an AE, and at the end of the day, you're still gonna wait 9 months or more and NOT have an Accuracy International.

Just a side note but you can get the MKII in 260,6.5cm,or 6.5x47 if you can stand a 6 month wait. Would cost $100 more to step up from 308.

Got this info from SRT just the other day.

Was gonna do a Gap Templar/AICS in 260, now this thread has fucked me all up on what 2 do..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are putting a rifle in an AICS, there is no reason to buy anything but a MKII. </div></div>

Well there is one.

AE MKII = $3400

700 action $350
barrel $280
Gunsmith work $500
AICS $850
Badger rail $150
--------------------

I'm not knocking the AE at all its a great platform but the 700 is still a player.And if you do have a failure parts are abundent dirt cheap and ANY competent smith can work on them.</div></div>

That is classic,

Call anyone of the gunsmiths on here and tell them you have $2300 and you want a custom 700 in a chassis and see what they say, not to mention the time to get it.

And while a 700 is good, I love them, it's not a AE action which is closer to a Templar or Surgeon, do the math on one of those builds... Easily you'll spend over $3k for a custom build that is Apples to Apples with an AE, and at the end of the day, you're still gonna wait 9 months or more and NOT have an Accuracy International. </div></div>

Why would you need a full build? Trueing an action is around $250 chambering and crowning is around $2-$250 throw in $40 to adjust a trigger what else would you need a smith to do? Im perfectly capable of turning the two action screws needed to assemble it into the AICS.

I thought I was very clear in my post that I was simply stating a 700 is still a player.No where did I say it was better or even equal to the AE.

Why would a Templer or a Surgeon be a closer comparison? I've seen you state dissapointment with "custom actions"in recent threads.In practical application what does a trued remington give up to a custom?

The Navy seems to be pretty happy with the MK13s and I suspect those rifles get used alot harder then 90% of the ones here.

Well there is one.

AE MKII = $3400

700 action $350
barrel $280
Gunsmith work $500
AICS $850
Badger rail $150
--------------------

I'm not knocking the AE at all its a great platform but the 700 is still a player.And if you do have a failure parts are abundent dirt cheap and ANY competent smith can work on them. </div></div>

I think you forgot to add the finish (around U$250,00 - U$300,00 on Cerakote), a trigger comparable of the AE (around U$150,00 - U$400,00 depending on trigger brand and type), a heavier recoil lug (U$80,00 - U$120,00) and a tactical bolt knob (around U$100,00 to U$150,00).

Now you have something tha can (or should I say: may) compare to an AE rifle, but the diference of price now is around U$500,00 or even less.

I now about the prices because it was what I did.

I could not have an AE for other reasons that are not price or performance. I wish I could have bought an AE...!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are putting a rifle in an AICS, there is no reason to buy anything but a MKII. </div></div>

Well there is one.

AE MKII = $3400

700 action $350
barrel $280
Gunsmith work $500
AICS $850
Badger rail $150
--------------------

And I doubt that rifle you've just outlined would compare well to the AE in terms of accuracy. </div></div>
And you would be mistaken!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRCampos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are putting a rifle in an AICS, there is no reason to buy anything but a MKII. </div></div>

Well there is one.

AE MKII = $3400

700 action $350
barrel $280
Gunsmith work $500
AICS $850
Badger rail $150
--------------------

I think you forgot to add the finish (around U$250,00 - U$300,00 on Cerakote), a trigger comparable of the AE (around U$150,00 - U$400,00 depending on trigger brand and type), a heavier recoil lug (U$80,00 - U$120,00) and a tactical bolt knob (around U$100,00 to U$150,00).

Now you have something tha can (or should I say: may) compare to an AE rifle, but the diference of price now is around U$500,00 or even less.

I could not have an AE for other reasons that are not price or performance. I wish I could have bought an AE...! </div></div>

First nothing wrong with a Remington trigger and it and a stock recoil lug is included in the $350 for the action.
Second if you paid $80-$100 for a recoil lug your being robbed(By the way the ones the Navy uses are $24)
Third if you must have a finish on your stainless barrel you can have melonite done for $100 or other coatings for $2-250 still leaves you over a grand cheaper.
Fourth tactical bolt knobs aren't for everyone

Now I'll say it again so don't get butt hurt.NOWHERE did I claim superiority to the AE.Simply that for $12-1300 less you can build a very servicable rifle that uses the same components found in US military sniper rifles.

Army- Remington action,trigger no bolt knob(Brand new contrct to revamp remingtons to 300 win mag)
Marines-Remington action,trigger no bolt knob
Navy-Remington action,trigger no bolt knob AICS stock

The military may not always make the best choice but clearly the platform is effective.

Care to outline how I'm mistaken?

A custom will be just as accurate; if not more. Some may argue not as reliable as the AE but that's another story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A custom will be just as accurate; if not more. Some may argue not as reliable as the AE but that's another story. </div></div>

I'm not saying a custom won't be. I think his figures are a little off. 280 bucks for a barrel, and only 500 in gunsmithing work? Has he met the quality smiths on this site?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRCampos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are putting a rifle in an AICS, there is no reason to buy anything but a MKII. </div></div>

Well there is one.

AE MKII = $3400

700 action $350
barrel $280
Gunsmith work $500
AICS $850
Badger rail $150
--------------------

I could not have an AE for other reasons that are not price or performance. I wish I could have bought an AE...! </div></div>

First nothing wrong with a Remington trigger and it and a stock recoil lug is included in the $350 for the action.
Second if you paid $80-$100 for a recoil lug your being robbed(By the way the ones the Navy uses are $24)
Third if you must have a finish on your stainless barrel you can have melonite done for $100 or other coatings for $2-250 still leaves you over a grand cheaper.
Fourth tactical bolt knobs aren't for everyone

Now I'll say it again so don't get butt hurt.NOWHERE did I claim superiority to the AE.Simply that for $12-1300 less you can build a very servicable rifle that uses the same components found in US military sniper rifles.

Army- Remington action,trigger no bolt knob(Brand new contrct to revamp remingtons to 300 win mag)
Marines-Remington action,trigger no bolt knob
Navy-Remington action,trigger no bolt knob AICS stock

The military may not always make the best choice but clearly the platform is effective. </div></div>

Sure you can build a serviceable rifle for about U$1.500,00... but that is not what RUTH wants or asked... after all, a Remington Police is a serviceable rifle and costs one thousand only.

RUTH asked for CUSTOM RIFLE at the level of GAP, APA, SURGEON and others. A full custom rifle. And to be fair in what to compare, I just added the equivalent of what an AE offers, including a pinned recoil lug for fast/easy barrel change.

At the end, will be his choice of what is important on a rifle for him and his uses, but I dont think he wants a bright silver stainless steel barrel on his rifle. And to make the melonite finish (actually it is not a finish) I think there is a minimum fee/price that is about U$200,00. Not considering that it is something new on barrels and, to my knowledge, not fully tested by shooters or mil/pol personel on its performance.

PS, Crane is using a Stiller Now in case you missed it, and the Military buys $9,000 Remington 700s... and during the SHC this year we had a soldier participate with a Mk13, it broke during the train up and he used one of "our" rifles to finish the week out.

Side bolt release, the AI trigger is 100X better than any standard Remington period.

Comparing what the "military" does, especially in the US, circa 1980 is a cop out... just because they continue to use old technology, doesn't make it right.

So please, enlighten me with something real or because you have no idea what you are saying... 60 countries use Accuracy International, that is a far greater track record than the Remington 700. if you want to start talking stats

Poison lets go $300 for a barrel you can find them all day long for that price.Now go to GA Precisions sight and look on the services page.Georges price to true an action chamber thread and crown the barrel is $350.Add say $40 to do the trigger.So unless you are saying George does not qualify as a quality smith I dont know what more I can say.

Here I'll save you some effort.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-services.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PS, Crane is using a Stiller Now in case you missed it, and the Military buys $9,000 Remington 700s... and during the SHC this year we had a soldier participate with a Mk13, it broke during the train up and he used one of "our" rifles to finish the week out.

Side bolt release, the AI trigger is 100X better than any standard Remington period.

Comparing what the "military" does, especially in the US, circa 1980 is a cop out... just because they continue to use old technology, doesn't make it right.

So please, enlighten me with something real or because you have no idea what you are saying... 60 countries use Accuracy International, that is a far greater track record than the Remington 700. if you want to start talking stats </div></div>

Actually please enlighten me where I've stated in any way shape or form the 700 is better in any way to an AE.Im pretty clear that it is a serviceable platform nothing more.

Your taking this off topic. My original post was in response to GUGUBICA stating there is no reason to build an AICS gun when the AE is available.I pointed out a big price difference as a reason nothing more.

I have backed up my statements and now the subject is being turned to a "Well the AI is still better"

Yes I'm aware Crane is going to a Stiller action but thats a recent switch still alot of 700's out there.

How many of those 60 countries are using AE's?

Just curious what broke on the MK13 during the SHC?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Poison lets go $300 for a barrel you can find them all day long for that price.Now go to GA Precisions sight and look on the services page.Georges price to true an action chamber thread and crown the barrel is $350.Add say $40 to do the trigger.So unless you are saying George does not qualify as a quality smith I dont know what more I can say.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-services.html </div></div>

No reason to come off as a jackass.

Fine, whats the turn around time on that?

I use a 700 more than any other action, but if it was the end all, why would anyone invest in:

Surgeon
Nesika,
BAT,
GAP Templar
Lawton
Stiller
Badger
etc....

Why pay $1200 instead of just paying $350 plus some gunsmithing ? Where is th benefit of a custom action ?

What purpose does it serve ?

Why do people swear by:

Jewell
Timney
Shilen
CG Jackson
Huber
Etc...

When an older Remington with $40 worth of work will do the trick ?

I have a bunch of Remington triggers, I can't see why anyone would invest in a $300 trigger when a $40 one works -- the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines use a $40 so why do we need to spend $300 ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Poison lets go $300 for a barrel you can find them all day long for that price.Now go to GA Precisions sight and look on the services page.Georges price to true an action chamber thread and crown the barrel is $350.Add say $40 to do the trigger.So unless you are saying George does not qualify as a quality smith I dont know what more I can say.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-services.html </div></div>

No reason to come off as a jackass.

Fine, whats the turn around time on that? </div></div>

Your the one challenging what I posted as being innaccurate and I'm the Jackass?
So since the price thing didn't work now its on to turnaround time?
Im willing to bet if you sent GA precision a action and they had a barrel it would be pretty quick.
I know someone that just had a complete build done by Mark Warner in about 5 weeks with parts he supplied.Most of the lag times are because of the wait for parts.

You're assuming you have the parts, and you're piecing something together -- not starting from scratch.

A person considering a custom build versus a AI is not talking about "piecing" shit together on a shoe string budget. They are talking about an investment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A custom will be just as accurate; if not more. Some may argue not as reliable as the AE but that's another story. </div></div>

I'm not saying a custom won't be. I think his figures are a little off. 280 bucks for a barrel, and only 500 in gunsmithing work? Has he met the quality smiths on this site? </div></div>
Maybe it's my understanding...... but anyhow how many countries use the 700? Does anyone actually know? Is it actually less then 60?

I am sure just about every single modern country has a 700 in some form or other, that doesn't make it a "purpose built" platform.. it means it's Remington 700 "adapted" to fill a need.

Turk,

I have zero investment in the above banter. To address your question (based on wikipedia...I know, I know):

All user data is at the bottom of each page. The 700 and M24 come nowhere close to fielding the number of countries as AI. Being a Sako TRG owner, they also don't come close to fielding as many as Sako and the TRG. I think most of the countries are looking for an out of the box solution for long range engagements in an expandable and durable platform. That is what sets the AI and TRG apart from the 700 system, as many accessories and gunsmiths are hard to find in other parts of the world.

M24 user stats (near bottom of page)
Remington 700 User Stats (near bottom of page)
AI User info for 7.62x51 (near bottom)
User info for AWM (near middle)
Sako TRG User Stats (near bottom)

Josh

Purpose built doesn't assure one of anything! There have been many "purposebuilt flops"! Does a Yugo ring a bell? What an automotive marvel ha? AI is a great rifle no arguement there; just tired of this is better that is better... Buy what you like and or can afford.

dmg308,

I am sure there are more countries out there. That was the only evidence I could provide without doing an insanely long search myself. Suffice it to say, the AI and Sako have a reputation built on dependability and ruggedness.

Josh