• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AT - Worth It?

ChuckP65

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2019
So I’ve been mulling an AT for a long time. Is one in 6.5 CM worth it or is there a better way to spend $4 to $5k? I am in to LRP and want to move up from base equipment. Is this next level or would it be better to build something? If I could do that for like $3k that leaves more for a high quality optic. Are AIs worth the high price? I may compete but it’s not guaranteed. Need advice. Other AIs seem to be above my pay grade.

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
The AT Is the best Accuracy International Value out there.

It does so much and is very adaptable, target, competition, etc,

I had a great meeting with AI at SHOT and I walk out with an AT LE, I see it as the best bang for the buck for the average guy interested in moving to the AI Platform

So I’ve been mulling an AT for a long time. Is one in 6.5 CM worth it or is there a better way to spend $4 to $5k? I am in to LRP and want to move up from base equipment. Is this next level or would it be better to build something? If I could do that for like $3k that leaves more for a high quality optic. Are AIs worth the high price? I may compete but it’s not guaranteed. Need advice. Other AIs seem to be above my pay grade.

I’d look for a used AT here and you can probably find one at or sub $4k if you want an AI.

Honestly if you just want to plink on a square range with it and it’s mostly going from car to range and back no need for an AI.

I think so. I bought one and don’t regret it at all. I bought a Remington 700 changed the trigger got an ai stock did every upgrade you can think of and thought I had something similar. Than I got an ai at. It’s just a much better gun. Consistency is the best way to describe it. I know it shoots better than me. It made me realize you can dress a pig up but it’s still just a pig.

I know this sounds harsh and for some they will say there’s no way but thats how I felt and I’m a logical person who only accepts facts. It’s jsut a tank

I had a great meeting with AI at SHOT and I walk out with an AT LE, I see it as the best bang for the buck for the average guy interested in moving to the AI Platform

This may be dumb but what is an AT LE. I have to believe law enforcement? No hits on internet for this variation.

It’s hard to drop this kind of loot on something I cannot touch. In NJ and they are not easy to find to examine. I would have to call Mile High or Europtic and buy one on faith which is a large investment on something I’ve only seen a picture of.

It’s hard to drop this kind of loot on something I cannot touch. In NJ and they are not easy to find to examine. I would have to call Mile High or Europtic and buy one on faith which is a large investment on something I’ve only seen a picture of.

I was in the same boat as you. I read all I could, asked questions, checked videos, and bought one. It was better than expected with amazing adjustability including the trigger length of pull. Best rifle I've ever owned!

i-8tmNmVv-XL.jpg

Reactions: Guiseppe83

Euro optic is out in PA in driving distance. Call them up and tell them youd like to drop by and get hands on and they will make it happen (they did for me). You can walk out with one (figuratively...damn state to state transfer)...2 years ago I picked up a shot show special after they came back for a price I couldnt refuse.

Euro optic is out in PA in driving distance. Call them up and tell them youd like to drop by and get hands on and they will make it happen (they did for me). You can walk out with one (figuratively...damn state to state transfer)...2 years ago I picked up a shot show special after they came back for a price I couldnt refuse.
Thanks!

They just work. Feed really well out of AW mags have decent triggers and just flat out shoot. Only downside is cost if its not in your budget.

I purchased and sold close to 7 rifles before my AT. Now I am down to that a SAC Alpha 11 and now that is on the chopping block.

Like the old saying goes "fear the man with, one gun. For me may know how to use it."

Get the AT and learn and it will follow you for a long time until you buy your next AI.

I DO recommend the @samb300 chassis when he gets done with it. And this thumbrest. I dont care for the AX buttstock but I am a lone wolf in that regard.

Reactions: RS14 and Nik H
Honestly if you just want to plink on a square range with it and it’s mostly going from car to range and back no need for an AI.
Might as well get a bicycle or a Yugo to get to work. No need for anything else to get to point A to B. ;) In all seriousness, price out a custom rifle from SAC, LRI or any of the other named gunsmiths. Their guns are going to cost you the same if not more than the AT. On top of that, when you go thru a barrel or two having to ship your rifle back and forth to the gunsmith, instead of just changing it out at home with an allen wrench, you might rethink the AT.

AI At worth every penny.

Attachments

• 2AA289F5-E144-49D9-BCFA-65E797766AF2.jpeg
    2AA289F5-E144-49D9-BCFA-65E797766AF2.jpeg
    664.6 KB · Views: 495
  • E004D828-6D17-4972-BFCE-C07BBBB1937D.png
    E004D828-6D17-4972-BFCE-C07BBBB1937D.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 461
  • DBFBDB4E-1035-404F-8713-1463B8012236.png
    DBFBDB4E-1035-404F-8713-1463B8012236.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 426
I purchased and sold close to 7 rifles before my AT. Now I am down to that a SAC Alpha 11 and now that is on the chopping block.
Same boat. Down to an SAC Alpha 11 with AI AT stock and probably should have just sprung for the AI AT.

Reactions: Eric32

It is worth the trip as EO is a pretty amazing place to visit. I have an AT and an AXMC. Bought both sight unseen....well bought the AT sight unseen. I had the benefit of using it for 4 years before I bought an AXMC. I say do it. Don't know or have heard of anyone that regretted the purchase

Same boat. Down to an SAC Alpha 11 with AI AT stock and probably should have just sprung for the AI AT.

Yup I mostly likely lost the price of an AIAT in all the rifle I bought and sold. Trying to figure it all out.

Might as well get a bicycle or a Yugo to get to work. No need for anything else to get to point A to B. ;) In all seriousness, price out a custom rifle from SAC, LRI or any of the other named gunsmiths. Their guns are going to cost you the same if not more than the AT. On top of that, when you go thru a barrel or two having to ship your rifle back and forth to the gunsmith, instead of just changing it out at home with an allen wrench, you might rethink the AT.

I’ve had 2 AI’s and they’re great no doubt, but I can order and action, stock/chassis, and prefit and assemble it all in my living room. You want super quick, Terminus Zeus and Curtis Vector offer set screw barrels.
Impact/TL3 has prefits from damn near every joe gunsmith and you just need a barrel vice/action wrench.

I’m not trying to put down an AI, but if you’re just gonna use it on a square non-dynamic range you can save money and go other routes too.

Is a AI worth the money? HELL NO. Is it more accurate than a custom or semi custom? NO.
What it is is reliable and consistent. It can be clean or dirty the first shot will impact exactly where I expect.
I have never worked up a load for mine as it just shoots, stacks anything I put through it.Made up some handloads a few weeks ago to burn up some old pulled 180 SMK's this was my first 15 shots.

.AI.jpg

The AT is definitely worth it. You need to ask yourself, do you like shooting or do you like screwing around with your equipment at home? If you want to shoot, get the AI. If you want a project, buy a bunch of parts and slap them together.
I also prefer the stock of my "regular" AT, to the AX stock on the AT LE. See if you can feel them in real life.

My only mod to my AT is an Anarchy Outdoors pic rail which replaced the spigot. they now have an ARCA one which looks pretty sweet too.

I can't remember EVER seeing a negative post about an AI. Surely have never heard of a regret.

Negatives are in the eye of the user, but nothing that wasn’t disclosed in the specs before purchasing. Biggest complaint you will see will be ergonomics that people don‘t agree with, or the weight.

There are a few people that they aren’t for. My point, nothing is universal.

I'll echo the positive comments here and say, yes, it's worth it. I shoot an AT folder in 6.5 Creed and it's a hammer. Not only is it accurate but it's reliable and robust, I don't abuse it but if it did take a nasty fall I wouldn't worry about it much. I appreciate the fact that when this barrel goes south I can swap it out with a Bartein in about four minutes with a 49 in lb torque limiter. Another thing to consider is that AIs tend to hold their value well if you did need to sell it.

Reactions: Mike4837
Best way to get into a "like new" cheaper AT is to watch EuroOptic's Demo section. It took me a couple months but I was able to pick up an AX for a good price at the start of 2019. The prices are even better now.

The PX on here also has some great deals, although it might take longer to find what you want.

Last edited:

I was just in the same position having never handled one in person. Called EO and got a Ai AT "showroom demo" for a nice price. They are a great company to deal with. I have not got to shoot it yet but my initial impressions exceed my expectations. I am very happy with my purchase so far.

IMG_8818.jpg

Best way to get into a "like new" cheaper AT is to watch EuroOptic's Demo section. It took me a couple months but I was able to pick up an AX for a good price at the start of 2019. The prices are even better know.

The PX on here also has some great deals, although it might take longer to find what you want.
Especially if you are looking for an AI AT in LEFT hand, like myself.

Reactions: Mike4837
My AT is my rock. I’ll run other rifles out of boredom just to switch things up. Or I’ll build a rifle because I really like triggertech triggers. But I always come back around to the AI.

It only takes one match or day where another rifle barely has an issue, feeding, or a shift. Nothing major. And I go back to the AI that almost never has a single issue. Always end up wondering why I bothered with the other rifle.

If triggertech ever makes an AI trigger that feels like their r700, I’d probably never own another rifle. Not that the AI trigger is bad. I just like the diamonds.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
My favorite part is the repeatability and barrel changes. Below you’ll see a picture of some dot drills I was doing last week. When I pull the trigger the right way, the bullet hits the tiny dot, every single time. If I make a mistake, it’s very obvious.
Also, I got a steal on a 308 barrel and chopped it to 16”. For hunting and doing dot drills, I like it more than my 24” Creedmoor barrel. But that’s the beauty...... I don’t have to choose!
B35E824B-74C9-4BFD-89DA-04D5F02416A2.jpeg
80357E58-44A2-4F71-A2A2-C3C607444F35.jpeg

Not worth it when you can pick up an AX showroom demo from Euro Optic for $4500-$5000 instead and have the better AX rifle with a better Bartlein barrel.

My favorite part is the repeatability and barrel changes. Below you’ll see a picture of some dot drills I was doing last week. When I pull the trigger the right way, the bullet hits the tiny dot, every single time. If I make a mistake, it’s very obvious.
Also, I got a steal on a 308 barrel and chopped it to 16”. For hunting and doing dot drills, I like it more than my 24” Creedmoor barrel. But that’s the beauty...... I don’t have to choose!
View attachment 7235675View attachment 7235676

How do you like that 16" barrel? I've got an 18" coming myself. Are you shooting
factory or handloads?

I bought my AT in 2015 after a lot of pondering myself. It has been the best money I have spent in this game. I just spun on my 9th barrel and after over 30,000 documented rounds I have never had a mechanical issue... Zero... I have shot in some nasty conditions (thinking the mud fests of the LRSE matches in KY a few years ago) and the AT just always runs.. It's a damn beast.

I would try to get behind one in person because I believe the ergonomics are either a love/hate relationship and if you like a true two stage trigger.

I have other rifles and I love my Manners/Impact/Triggertech and MDT/Impact/Triggertech setups, but at the end of the day my AI is "the" rifle for me

I bought mine in ‘14. 20000 + rounds on it so far. Never had a failure, though did notice the firing pin had begun unscrewing by excess protrusion. Seems impossible with double set screws to locate it but found them both backed off. That was 15k plus rounds ago.

I began doing PRS tape matches about three years ago and an AT is not ideal for that. Given the shape of the forearm and it angle that changes to the mag well etc. I wound up breaking mine apart and putting it in an MPA chassis. Eventually put the AI comp trigger in it. I love it. It is an outstanding piece of equipment as such.

I think the barrel quick change feature is overrated. In my experience repeatability/accuracy is greater if I go ahead and torque barrel to 75 foot pounds.

Not worth it when you can pick up an AX showroom demo from Euro Optic for $4500-$5000 instead and have the better AX rifle with a better Bartlein barrel.

Where? I’ve only seen the pre 14. In quick change barrels that cheap.

The post 14s $5700 is the cheapest I have seen.

I’ve seen used ATs with 2 barrels for $3500 here

Here you go. $4800 is actually the low end, but quite a few choices in the $4800-$5000 range. If it were me I'd buy one of the $4800 Sage Green 243's, dump the 243 barrel for $500 and order a Proof SS 6.5 tube for the same money. $4800 into a 6.5 Creed AX.

Mmmm sage green. They didn’t have any when u bought my demo. Might have to get the Krylon out.

I’ve had 2 AI’s and they’re great no doubt, but I can order and action, stock/chassis, and prefit and assemble it all in my living room. You want super quick, Terminus Zeus and Curtis Vector offer set screw barrels.
Impact/TL3 has prefits from damn near every joe gunsmith and you just need a barrel vice/action wrench.

I’m not trying to put down an AI, but if you’re just gonna use it on a square non-dynamic range you can save money and go other routes too.

comments like this should also come with a giant asterisk...you can have good luck doing this MOST of the time, but ive lost count of the number of custom "assemblies" ive have to mod and tweak for people in order for them to run correctly/reliably

its not on any one manufacturer, its when you start getting into volumes of tolerance stacking from various companies

if youre familiar with rifle function and mechanically inclined with some tools, most of it can be tweaked at home, not all of it is that simple tho and theres a lot of people who dont have a clue where to start with some things if theyre newer to rifles in general

my favorite is "i bought an AW cut action so i can run AW mags" ...probably got some news for you buddy...lol

its a cheaper, usually successful route....across the board though, it AINT the same as grabbing an AI out of the box and hitting the range