• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AT - Worth It?

If your action, stock, barrel and trigger all come from different vendors and are assembled by a third party, you have a potential mess on your hands if something doesn’t work.

Reactions: kthomas
comments like this should also come with a giant asterisk...you can have good luck doing this MOST of the time, but ive lost count of the number of custom "assemblies" ive have to mod and tweak for people in order for them to run correctly/reliably

its not on any one manufacturer, its when you start getting into volumes of tolerance stacking from various companies

if youre familiar with rifle function and mechanically inclined with some tools, most of it can be tweaked at home, not all of it is that simple tho and theres a lot of people who dont have a clue where to start with some things if theyre newer to rifles in general

my favorite is "i bought an AW cut action so i can run AW mags" ...probably got some news for you buddy...lol

its a cheaper, usually successful route....across the board though, it AINT the same as grabbing an AI out of the box and hitting the range

This. All of it.

Reactions: S12A and BLKWLFK9
How do you like that 16" barrel? I've got an 18" coming myself. Are you shooting
factory or handloads?

I absolutely love it. Got the 308 barrel gently used for a steal, then paid a few bucks to get it chopped and threaded. It's REALLY handy for general field hunting use. I'm shooting factory Berger 168 classic hunters, at 2550fps. The hog in the picture was dead on impact at 425 yards with a cold bore shot. 2 deer were killed that weekend at 100 yards with the same rifle/load. First one took a high shoulder shot and was dead on impact. Second one my wife shot behind the shoulder and quartering towards us; excellent blood trail and didn't run more than 30 yards before expiring.

Suffice to say, I am very pleased with terminal performance.

Reactions: IW21
I have a sage green 2017 AXMC LA (.338) and just bought a 2018 sage green AT from Mile High. Had the 6.5 barrel cut down to 16.5” and I was ringing steel at 1000 consistently with 120 eld-m hand loads this past weekend on my first long range outing with it. Less than 50 rounds of load dev. Action feeds rounds extremely smooth. Ergonomics are great. I love both of my AIs.

The argument that a custom rifle is cheaper than an AI is not necessarily the case, especially so if you're using premium components. I've been down the route of several customs over the years as well as optics and finally took the plunge on an AX. Before the price drops and it wasnt a showroom demo, so it was substantially more expensive than what's available now. Even at that price, I have one rifle that can do anything I need it to, a trigger that fucking works every time without needing to have anything done to it, mags that fucking work without needing anything done and have a longer OAL (and are double stack cuz fuck AICS mags), barrels available everywhere in any configuration without a wait, no bedding or bolts to worry about torque, not realy any bolt parts to have to keep on hand, no worries of light strikes or any of that bullshit. No special tools to swap barrels. Add to the fact that you have one trigger to master and one optic and mount combo to buy and it saves you money with every barrel you buy.

I haven't touched a 700 action since I bought mine. I never handled one, lusted after one, and finally bought one last January. 2800 rounds later, it's ran flawlessly. The best description I heard from the trigger is "If you like glock triggers, imagine a two stage target glock trigger." I finally got some good 1000 yard dope, and I printed an 8" 6 shot group with my 6.5 CM barrel. This is from someone that has very little practice shooting out passed 400 yards, besides 7 PRS matches last year.

I decided to price a custom switch barrel rifle, and it came up around $4800 with two barrels. That's essentially the same exact price as an AI, with an extra barrel. It's up to you, but I drank the kool aid and I like it.

Reactions: deersniper
Tried an AT, loved it. Sold it mainly due to ergonomics. Neither the pistol nor thumbhole really fit me properly for whatever reason.

Definitely get behind one and compare it WITH ANOTHER RIFLE STOCK before purchase. I think an AI in a Manners would be perfect.

I was a SAKO TRG fan for years and laughed at guys spending 1k more for an AI, until, that is, I got an AI....

You can find good used AT deals often on for sale forum here.

Is it really a better rifle than the TRG though? I'm actually debating which of the two to get later this year. I'm not convinced (yet), based on comments I've read here and elsewhere, that the AI is superior. Most agree that the TRG has the better trigger and better fit/finish. Accuracy potential seems to be about the same. Since you owned both, what is better about the AI?

The TRG fixed stock is delicate, barrel changes are a comparative pain in the ass, the mags aren’t true double stack, the finish is more inclined to rust and mounting night shooting accessories is harder. Accessories are rarer and more expensive.

It’s also lighter, has a better trigger and a radically different safety. Barrels last longer.

The AI is therefore a better rifle for war, and the TRG has an advantage for hunting.

Is it really a better rifle than the TRG though? I'm actually debating which of the two to get later this year. I'm not convinced (yet), based on comments I've read here and elsewhere, that the AI is superior. Most agree that the TRG has the better trigger and better fit/finish. Accuracy potential seems to be about the same. Since you owned both, what is better about the AI?

I own both. And I love them both. If I were to keep one, I'd keep the AI. WHY?....I travel for a living. Not for a week at a time or a few days. Months at a time. Sometimes a year. I travel in my truck not a plane. The AI, allows me to bring 4 rifles in 1 small case. ?‍♂️ The TRG is still a sweet rig though. The ergo' are top notch. With FGMM 168/175's it'll shoot 1/4". And I suck. The trigger bar none, awesome.

I love my buddies TRG, the trigger and safety are truly amazing. Unfortunately after 80 rounds, the stock fell off the action.

I've owned my TRG since 2014. I have a hard time believing that. He probably loosened up some screws and used it to chop a tree down. But I also know you have a youtube channel that pushes your AI pretty hard.

• Haha
Reactions: The Durk
I own both. And I love them both. If I were to keep one, I'd keep the AI. WHY?....I travel for a living. Not for a week at a time or a few days. Months at a time. Sometimes a year. I travel in my truck not a plane. The AI, allows me to bring 4 rifles in 1 small case. ?‍♂️ The TRG is still a sweet rig though. The ergo' are top notch. With FGMM 168/175's it'll shoot 1/4". And I suck. The trigger bar none, awesome.

You ain't making my decision any easier ;)

Sadly, I've never handled an AI. But one thing I was curious about is the trigger. Listed at 3-4 lbs? Isn't that a bit heavy for a precision rig? Can it be adjusted lighter or an aftermarket trigger installed?

You ain't making my decision any easier ;)

Sadly, I've never handled an AI. But one thing I was curious about is the trigger. Listed at 3-4 lbs? Isn't that a bit heavy for a precision rig? Can it be adjusted lighter or an aftermarket trigger installed?
They make a match trigger that breaks at about 1.5

Reactions: Arc Light
The argument that a custom rifle is cheaper than an AI is not necessarily the case, especially so if you're using premium components. I've been down the route of several customs over the years as well as optics and finally took the plunge on an AX. Before the price drops and it wasnt a showroom demo, so it was substantially more expensive than what's available now. Even at that price, I have one rifle that can do anything I need it to, a trigger that fucking works every time without needing to have anything done to it, mags that fucking work without needing anything done and have a longer OAL (and are double stack cuz fuck AICS mags), barrels available everywhere in any configuration without a wait, no bedding or bolts to worry about torque, not realy any bolt parts to have to keep on hand, no worries of light strikes or any of that bullshit. No special tools to swap barrels. Add to the fact that you have one trigger to master and one optic and mount combo to buy and it saves you money with every barrel you buy.

This too.

I tried different customs before I migrated to an AI. Ergonomics is the only possible issue; more along the lines of a chassis versus conventional stock. Throw in a competition trigger and go. Like others have said: one rifle, one optic, one trigger. Barrels are too easy to swap. As others have said, you'll enjoy other rifles, but when you get back to your AI, it seems as if all is right in the world.

Picture because I never pass an opportunity to pimp it out:
AI.jpg

I had owned one. Best rifle I ever used. Was it worth a $1500-$2500 premium over a custom action rifle in your preferred stock/chassis? Not to me

0F81C239-7013-4727-9A51-D32480E87EF9.png
I've owned my TRG since 2014. I have a hard time believing that. He probably loosened up some screws and used it to chop a tree down. But I also know you have a youtube channel that pushes your AI pretty hard.
If you watched my video, you’d know I’m not too happy a $4,000 rifle has side stocks that seem to be made out of cheddar cheese. I’m still trying the break the thing, and haven’t so far.

My only real concern is cratered primers even with moderately warm loads. I can’t load the maximum case pressure like my buddies using custom actions. That’ll be in part 2 of my review.

$1000 action
$600 barrel
$250 trigger
$1000 chassis

very easily. You can build one for much less.

Now add threading, cerakote, mounting bosses for NV mount and rails, bipod attachment point, compatibility with AW magazines, buttplate/LOP/cheekrest adjustments, three position safety. What’s the price now? Also, you didn’t include the cost of the barrel changing equipment: vice, action wrench, torque wrench, ETC.

Now add threading, cerakote, mounting bosses for NV mount and rails, bipod attachment point, compatibility with AW magazines, buttplate/LOP/cheekrest adjustments, three position safety. What’s the price now? Also, you didn’t include the cost of the barrel changing equipment: vice, action wrench, torque wrench, ETC.
Pre fits are the norm. The chassis takes care of most of your other concerns.

Cerakote?For real. ?

I’m not arguing which is better. I am just being honest about costs.

Reactions: IW21
The TRG fixed stock is delicate, barrel changes are a comparative pain in the ass, the mags aren’t true double stack, the finish is more inclined to rust and mounting night shooting accessories is harder. Accessories are rarer and more expensive.

It’s also lighter, has a better trigger and a radically different safety. Barrels last longer.

The AI is therefore a better rifle for war, and the TRG has an advantage for hunting.

Your wrong on a few things bud. TRG mags ARE double stack. There's nothing delicate about the stock, other than it's a true 2 pieces held on by bolts, but so is the forend on an AX...2 bolts. Barrel changes are only a pain, if your not a mechanical guy. Accessories are not "rare" ?‍♂️, but if you solely want factory stuff than they are a little pricey

Reactions: wade2big
Dude no one is saying anything bad about AI. If you can afford it, and like it, more power to you. But pretty much everything you mentioned can be covered by said "$1000 stock/chassis" or is already included (did you really think 'threading' wouldnt be covered under the barrel cost estimate? haha). If you dont think a $2000-$3000 custom build can run with an AI, well, you'd be mistaken.

Last edited:

Lol!

Terminus/Vector action: $1425 (set screw barrel change similar an AI)
MPA comp chassis: $920
Prefit: $600
Trigger: $250
Total: ~$3,200

Runs with AW’s
Comes with a NV bridge
Has adjustable LoP/cheek height

You can add a weight kit, etc.

Your AT needs a bridge for NV so that’s an extra cost.

ETA: This is just one example of how you can get a full featured custom for about $3k. Again, I’ve owned several AI’s and they’re awesome awesome rifles. They just aren’t the only option out there.
I knew there would be a lot of “pro-AI” responses as there very well should be, but I felt like it’s a disservice to the OP if we treat it like it’s the ONLY option.

Lol!

Terminus/Vector action: $1425 (set screw barrel change similar an AI)
MPA comp chassis: $920
Prefit: $600
Trigger: $250
Total: ~$3,200

Runs with AW’s
Comes with a NV bridge
Has adjustable LoP/cheek height

You can add a weight kit, etc.
You forgot cerakote. That puts it over the edge. ?

• Haha
Reactions: spife7980 and IW21
Assembling a rifle yourself is NOT a FULL FEATURED CUSTOM

you listed off the retail price of parts if you wanted to do it yourself

a Gunsmith will charge you for labor and will also make sure things are correct.
That could be a fair point depending how you look at it.

Would you buy an AIAT or skip right over it to the AXMC or AXSA? First and probably only AI?

My only real concern is cratered primers even with moderately warm loads. I can’t load the maximum case pressure like my buddies using custom actions. That’ll be in part 2 of my review.

Pre-2015 large firing pin bolt I'm guessing?

If you don't mind a 0.001ish headspace change and using a modified factory firing pin, have LRI bush the bolt and turn down the firing pin for $175... Done. No more cratering.

Or spend 700ish and pick up a factory AI small firing pin bolt body/head and firing pin.

Either option will fix the cratering issue. Keep in mind if you go the bushing route, you can't just drop in a replacement factory firing pin in the future if you happen to mess one up, it will have to go to LRI to be modded first.

Reactions: The Durk
Your wrong on a few things bud. TRG mags ARE double stack. There's nothing delicate about the stock, other than it's a true 2 pieces held on by bolts, but so is the forend on an AX...2 bolts. Barrel changes are only a pain, if your not a mechanical guy. Accessories are not "rare" ?‍♂️, but if you solely want factory stuff than they are a little pricey
True double column means it’s not center feed. How are you changing TRG barrels in the field without a vice? The TRG stock is held in place by clamping force. It’s known to fall off or crack when dropped. The folder is much stronger but very expensive. I find it an ergonomic improvement honestly.
Dude no one is saying anything bad about AI. If you can afford it, and like it, more power to you. But pretty much everything you mentioned can be covered by said "$1000 stock/chassis" or is already included (did you really think 'threading' wouldnt be covered under the barrel cost estimate? haha). If you dont think a $2000-$3000 custom build can run with an AI, well, you'd be mistaken.
Where are you guys getting $600 threaded cut rifled prefits? Usually you’re closer to $700 for those. Also, like Lowlight pointed out you’re assembling your own rifle at this point. Who do you call if it doesnt work?

I have no clue what your favorite color is...
I will rephrase. What would you do with your money? Which would you choose and why? I am going to end up with one soon enough. I just want opinions.

Ask yourself,

Do I want a Long Action with the ability to also shoot short action calibers

Can I take advantage of a long action caliber

Is the AX Chassis worth the additional cost to me

Do I like the legacy style of the AT Chassis

You're asking stupid questions, what others would do is ridiculous, you want to know what I would do have done, bought all the friggin AI Rifles I have 9 of them, my first was a used AI AE Mk1, my second full purchase was never shot to this day, I bought the AI Covert, so far I have 9 AI Rifles so I never have make "what if" decisions, I grab the right tool for the job.

What are your needs and wants, if you are planning on going into Competition, even in a small way, how will the AXMC size affect me, or will it at all.

The AT is $4500+ the AX $7200+ that is a big difference that not everyone wants to consider. So what is your budget, especially considering you can get an AXMC for about $5500 or so, which is almost $2500 less than original retail.

Try thinking, or at least laying out your case for why YOU want something instead of just throwing a wide net out there and asking the peanut gallery what their favorite color is.... if you are looking for me to respect your rifle choice, or buying decision, make the decision yourself.

I’ve only ever owned AIs but I recently had the urge to build a custom rifle. I’m very happy with it but the first thing I bought after getting the rifle was the one thing I never bought for my AI....a spare parts kit ????
E6A0870D-C1BF-452C-8F8B-2F9393EA3043.jpeg

Where are you guys getting $600 threaded cut rifled prefits? Usually you’re closer to $700 for those. Also, like Lowlight pointed out you’re assembling your own rifle at this point. Who do you call if it doesnt work?
Suppose it depends on the action youre referring to. But its not hard to spend or save $100 over the course of a full build, so if it helps, go ahead and assume $700 instead of $600. I personally buy blanks on sale and have LRI do the chambering. Many people here arent using retail prices for anything. Buy second hand, on sale, etc. (that includes the AI we're hypothetically comparing to. At least those are the assumptions Im using for comparison).

As to who I would call if something didnt work? Guess it depends on the issue. For example, I had an issue with my Nuke and an early geissele trigger. Geissele handled it (very expeditiously I may add). Bad headspace or poor threads would go back to the 'smith that chambered it. etc.

Again, no one is trying to talk anyone out of any AI. Like I said, its the best rifle Ive ever owned. I hope to own an AT w/ the AX buttstock at some point in the next few years. But for me, and many who not are not professional shooters, LE, Mil, etc. AI is overkill and you will get 90% of the functionality for $1500-$2500 less (depending on features you value, your feelings on new vs used, urgency, and shopping skill). All depends on your needs, priorites, and obviously disposable income.

Last edited:
Someone suggested second hand referencing Gun Broker. There is one real AT there for $3500 and it’s got two 308 barrels. The problem is it’s left handed. I was told to consider used. From where?

Someone suggested second hand referencing Gun Broker. There is one real AT there for $3500 and it’s got two 308 barrels. The problem is it’s left handed. I was told to consider used. From where?
Here in the parts exchange. Been some killer deals the past 6 months on AI

Reactions: gro and The Durk