• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AT - Worth It?

True double column means it’s not center feed. How are you changing TRG barrels in the field without a vice? The TRG stock is held in place by clamping force. It’s known to fall off or crack when dropped. The folder is much stronger but very expensive. I find it an ergonomic improvement honestly.

Where are you guys getting $600 threaded cut rifled prefits? Usually you’re closer to $700 for those. Also, like Lowlight pointed out you’re assembling your own rifle at this point. Who do you call if it doesnt work?

PVA $550-$600
Straight Jacket, ES-Tactical, etc. there’s plenty if you look.

Your Lego assembly will never be the same as an AI AT on any level

You can lie to yourself it will, but that is just your own ignorance talking in an attempt to convince yourself you came close.

Put a 5-year-old Lego rifle with no pedigree on here for sale and put an AI against in price and let me know how it works out for you.

On top of that, none of the options suggested can do the barrel change as easily or effectively as the AI.

This matters, you have to pretend it doesn't in order to get anywhere near in cost with high-end components.

Hey that rifle is cool, who made it, "Me" oh wow, end of the conversation, Hey is that an Accuracy International, why yes it is, 45 minutes later you are still talking.

Suppose it depends on the action youre referring to. But its not hard to spend or save $100 over the course of a full build, so if it helps, go ahead and assume $700 instead of $600. I personally buy blanks on sale and have LRI do the chambering. Many people here arent using retail prices for anything. Buy second hand, on sale, etc. (that includes the AI we're hypothetically comparing to. At least those are the assumptions Im using for comparison).

As to who I would call if something didnt work? Guess it depends on the issue. For example, I had an issue with my Nuke and an early geissele trigger. Geissele handled it (very expeditiously I may add). Bad headspace or poor threads would go back to the 'smith that chambered it. etc.

Again, no one is trying to talk anyone out of any AI. Like I said, its the best rifle Ive ever owned. I hope to own an AT w/ the AX buttstock at some point in the next few years. But for me, and many who not are not professional shooters, LE, Mil, etc. AI is overkill and you will get 90% of the functionality for $1500-$2500 less (depending on features you value, your feelings on new vs used, urgency, and shopping skill). All depends on your needs, priorites, and obviously disposable income.
So I assume you mean like a TRG? I started this thread and still want the AI but what are you thinking that takes me up from RPR and saves me a few thousand? I will never get rid of the RPR but want next logical step or at least that’s the BS I tell myself (and the Mrs).

Why have two completely different rifles that do the same thing? If it’s not a different class of rifle and you’re resource constrained, no point to having several.

So I assume you mean like a TRG? I started this thread and still want the AI but what are you thinking that takes me up from RPR and saves me a few thousand? I will never get rid of the RPR but want next logical step or at least that’s the BS I tell myself (and the Mrs).

You got to know what you need in order to get what you want!

Just grab one of these and call it a day if you don't go the AI route. Either will serve you plenty ?

Fun times with these barrels though.... fun times.

IMG_2171.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

OP, get the AI, you won't regret it. While some "custom" guns may look cool, etc. I for one could give two shits if Moses himself built it. Most people don't like to pay for labor and that's what some folks try to sell when their ugly child gets old.

Have the AT with 6.5cm barrel. I should have picked up a spare .308 barrel for those times you may need one (free ammo) verses a RPR. Need to move it.

I tried recently to convince a friend to get an AI, she wanted a custom one of a kind and is paying dearly in my opinion.

Guess it's like hanging out at the trailer park with a make up bag and a six pack verses Jennifer Lopez-

• Haha
Reactions: MarinePMI
I will rephrase. What would you do with your money? Which would you choose and why? I am going to end up with one soon enough. I just want opinions.

I have two A/T's and an AX/SA. Milehigh/Euro will likely sell you an AT folder in 6.5cm for ~$4100. You want the folder. As for an AT or AX, if you are cost conscious, buy an AT and then a good optic like a S&B and a TBac can, you are set.

You can save ~$1300 by buying a used AI/AE MK3 folder, but you'll need an action wrench and barrel vise, and a torque wrench to swap barrels, not a big deal, the AE's shoot tiny groups as well.

I started with a Rem 700p in an AI chassis, saved/sold and went AEII, same, AEIII and now an AT. I think some AR's might go by by towards election time and do an AX. Keeping the AT though.

Fiddle f'ed with a couple custom rigs and factory rigs throughout the years, some cool and nice rigs but the clue is they're all gone.

.223 wise, Tikka Varmint in a MPA chassis. Nice gun, just as accurate in factory stock but the chassis fits me better. Would I wait/pay for another MPA, nope. Same as an XLR. If only AI had a .223!

Image result for grenade toss gif

The "lego assembly" self built rifle may never be a "full featured custom" or whatever that means but I can live with the 2k bucks saved by screwing it together myself, its not missing anything else other than laziness.

The lego assembly self built rifle may never be an AI but at least I can put a good trigger into my assembly.

@lowlight beat me to it with the “LEGO” title.

Ordering parts yourself and putting them together isn’t a “custom built rifle” that’s guaranteed from the smith that it will run and shoot.

It’s exactly that, a lego gun. Not much different than a frankengun AR.

Is there anything wrong with that? Nope. But it ain’t a custom built rifle and isn’t to be compared in price to an AI.

You also can’t throw in the gap production rifle. Those are parts assembled by gap, but it ain’t gonna get the same service their custom built rifles do. It’s going to be an action with a barrel screwed on it and bolted into a mini chassis. I’m sure if there is an issue they will take care of it. But I doubt they are gonna he QC’ing them the way they do their $5k customs.

If you want to compare apples to apples, find a well known builder and post links where you can get a custom built rifle for less than $3500-$4k (price of an AT if you pick up the phone and call a dealer, depending on folding or non).

Again, the shit you, me, and everyone else puts together in their closet gun room ain’t a custom built rifle.

I like an AI trigger,

I have not had near the issues with an AI trigger as I have with aftermarket ones out there

good try thought, whatever helps you sleep at night I suppose

AI and triggertech have been the only two triggers I haven’t broken (yet). Excluding the comp trigger.

Which vendors sell AI rifles and don't charge sales tax? Is there such a thing anymore? I know Europtic charges sales tax.

Sales tax depends on the state you live in now due to a SCOTUS ruling.

Any states that don’t require online sales tax will be requiring it at some point once they get on the boat.

Some online retailers still sort it per state, and some just charge tax for them all now to make it easier as it won’t be long until they have to anyway.

Tax free online shopping is basically dead. Just a slow death in some states.

You can get $500 AI barrels at a lot of places ready for immediate delivery....and your first counter to that is PVA for a barrel? That's probably not smart.

$500 with one contour. All the ones I listed will be about $600 in multiple contours. I like MTU or proof comp contour. You want one for an AI in that contour, you’re now at a higher price.

Different strokes for different strokes.

ETA: being I shoot 6BR and other “non-conventional” caliber 25 creed etc. I still gotta get with a smith for that so there’s inherent lead time AI or not.

Reactions: Sixfivesavage
I don't see the comp trigger as an AI, but I get it, and yes that was an issue

but i never bought into the hype and like my factory triggers just fine.

I have them in 2 of my AI's, out of 10. They are "ok". No failures to date.

Factory AI trigger pack, tuned, coupled with the flat trigger shoe is hard to beat, for me in particular.

I'll second the like for the factory AI trigger. I actually cranked my TT special heavier on my old TL2 because it was so light. That was always set wherever they are out of the box so I have no idea how heavy it was. That being said, I have next to zero interest in shooting anything but the AX any longer. That in and of itself has saved me a ton of cash because it's like I quit dating and got married but with rifles.

Reactions: 4350muncher
I recently took the plunge on a used AT and was a little nervous about the Standard trigger with some of the comments out their regarding pull weight.

However, as per the previous posts, I fell in love with the AI trigger straight away! Going back to my old after market single stage timney feels weird and scary light now..

ETA: being I shoot 6BR and other “non-conventional” caliber 25 creed etc. I still gotta get with a smith for that so there’s inherent lead time AI or not.

MileHigh has in-stock 6br barrels for the AI. They did a few months ago when i bought a 1:8 26"

I like an AI trigger,

I have not had near the issues with an AI trigger as I have with aftermarket ones out there

good try thought, whatever helps you sleep at night I suppose

100% this!

Might not be the sexiest or lightest, but a clean break that works every damn time no matter what is sexy to me.

If we are gonna compare home built rifles to customs and AI, we should all just be buying Ruger RPR 6cm when they go on sale for $700 every so often.

The blank used is a 1:8 twist, cut rifled Bartlein.

Nice! Still $800 and standard AI contour looks like, so essentially still more expensive and not as tailored as ordering from straight jacket, pva, etc.

But it’s awesome that they’re offering 6BR! Had a few mile high barrels and they were shooters.

The AT Is the best Accuracy International Value out there.

It does so much and is very adaptable, target, competition, etc,

I had a great meeting with AI at SHOT and I walk out with an AT LE, I see it as the best bang for the buck for the average guy interested in moving to the AI Platform

If a non LE could pick that up Id be all over that. I am guessing you could duplicate this by buying an AT and then changing the stock. In the same boat here, really considering and AI.

Nice! Still $800 and standard AI contour looks like, so essentially still more expensive and not as tailored as ordering from straight jacket, pva, etc.

But it’s awesome that they’re offering 6BR! Had a few mile high barrels and they were shooters.

Convience has its price. Get it tomorrow if you can work with it or deal with PVA and maybe get it.....maybe even by Thanksgiving.

Convience has its price. Get it tomorrow if you can work with it or deal with PVA and maybe get it.....maybe even by Thanksgiving.
There are other barrel mfgs. No reason to keep beating that dead horse - FWIW they do appear to have their barrel mfg schedule much better than it was 8+ months ago.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9

Don’t know why you keep ignoring all the other Smith’s I mentioned that also do $600 prefits and have minimal downtime lol

Buy once, cry once. I should have followed that advice but didn't. Bought an RPR to try out bolt guns as I only shot gassers; decided I liked it. Then bought a Mausingfield M5 from Long Rifles; liked it even more. Then bought an AI AT and really liked it; smooth as butter. Then bought an AI AX and I'm finally done, smooth and great ergonomics.

Along the way I sold off each predecessor rifle, I should have just bought the AI to begin with and saved myself a lot of money. I bought my AIs from EuroOptic as Demos. Each was pristine and had never been fired, only played with at a show. Whatever you do, make the decision and don't look back.

There are other barrel mfgs. No reason to keep beating that dead horse - FWIW they do appear to have their barrel mfg schedule much better than it was 8+ months ago.
Don’t know why you keep ignoring all the other Smith’s I mentioned that also do $600 prefits and have minimal downtime lol

I'm not ignoring anyone, I just dont have any personal experience with any of the others to be able to comment. I'm not beating a dead horse in an attempt to beat up on Josh, either. Just using it as an example of a potential for a delay, even if it's only a week or maybe just 3 days, there's some on a shelf ready to go in a lot of places that can be overnighted as soon as you order. That has its price. LRI are the only people that I know of that have the ability to do a barrel and get it to you like they moonlight as amazon.

At any rate, I'm glad PVA is getting back on track. Josh is a good guy and I wish him the best. I'm sure I'll use him again at some point.

I don't work for MHSA, you can tell them I said any number of things, and their response can very well be NO

But you can easily upgrade an AT to AT LE if they don't sell the complete build

I know you don't work there, was being a little tongue in cheek. I'll call and see what they say :).

I'm not ignoring anyone, I just dont have any personal experience with any of the others to be able to comment. I'm not beating a dead horse in an attempt to beat up on Josh, either. Just using it as an example of a potential for a delay, even if it's only a week or maybe just 3 days, there's some on a shelf ready to go in a lot of places that can be overnighted as soon as you order. That has its price. LRI are the only people that I know of that have the ability to do a barrel and get it to you like they moonlight as amazon.

At any rate, I'm glad PVA is getting back on track. Josh is a good guy and I wish him the best. I'm sure I'll use him again at some point.

The other 2 also use top quality blanks, benchmark, proof steel, etc. so $800 for a mile high 6br or $615 for a barrel in your preferred contour, twist, finish length, etc from one of the other guys.
Again I’m not trying to dump on anyone just stating there’s options, but clearly if it’s an anti-AI option it’s not really welcomed lol

The other 2 also use top quality blanks, benchmark, proof steel, etc. so $800 for a mile high 6br or $615 for a barrel in your preferred contour, twist, finish length, etc from one of the other guys.
Again I’m not trying to dump on anyone just stating there’s options, but clearly if it’s an anti-AI option it’s not really welcomed lol

Lol I know what you're saying I'm just laying it out there that there's a difference in wait times. There's definitely a lot of passion in these discussions when it comes to anything high end, especially AIs and optics like TT. Some people loose clarity in the arguments and what's worth something to some, isn't so with others. Just the way the world works. In the end, people can only figure out on their own what works for them and what they want. I learned the expensive way because I had to buy everything I tried or used. I couldn't try stuff because I shoot on my own ground and there's no high end stuff around here. The used market/PX is a great way to try things and help minimize the buy in. For me and my uses and likes and all, the AX was the answer. It isn't for everyone though and I'll be the first to admit that.

Reactions: wade2big
What is the difference between the AT and AT LE edition? Serious question.

Main difference is the LE version comes with the AX rear already installed. Not sure if there’s anything else.