• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AT - Worth It?

True double column means it’s not center feed. How are you changing TRG barrels in the field without a vice? The TRG stock is held in place by clamping force. It’s known to fall off or crack when dropped. The folder is much stronger but very expensive. I find it an ergonomic improvement honestly.

Where are you guys getting $600 threaded cut rifled prefits? Usually you’re closer to $700 for those. Also, like Lowlight pointed out you’re assembling your own rifle at this point. Who do you call if it doesnt work?

A. The mags are double stack.
B. I never said I'm changing barrels in the field, REREAD please
C. Do you even own a TRG?
D. If 100 dollar difference is a make or break deal for you, get another job.
E. I'm not arguing with someone who has to walk upstairs to get a Mountain Dew
code red out of his moms fridge.
F. Nothing your derailing this post for means shit to the OP

Reactions: Paladin33
A. Double column center feed is not as useful as double column double feed.
B. I know you’re only changing barrels in the shop, you have a TRG.
C. I’ve had three. 308, 300 and 338.
D. If you can’t afford an AI, get a better job.
E. You’re right, you’re not arguing with someone who has to bum Mt. Dew off his mother.

Get the fixed stock and consider the LE mod later on if needed. Have both and they’re great. Not gonna build a custom for much less. ??

So I’ve been mulling an AT for a long time. Is one in 6.5 CM worth it or is there a better way to spend $4 to $5k? I am in to LRP and want to move up from base equipment. Is this next level or would it be better to build something? If I could do that for like $3k that leaves more for a high quality optic. Are AIs worth the high price? I may compete but it’s not guaranteed. Need advice. Other AIs seem to be above my pay grade.
It took me a few years jumping around with different rigs when I finally just went ahead and made the jump to AI. As a LRPS there is no better in the world in my opinion. I settled on the AXMC from AI UK. Originally, I opted for the 338LM...then 4 months later I called them up and had them cut me a 308&6.5...then I figured since I went that far, I slapped a S&B LPii 5x25x56 MSR on it, and I gotta say, things noticeably improved out beyond 1500m....so yes, I'm gonna have to say it's worth it...as long as your wife doesn't mind you spending a new car for a rifle?
Go get em

I've wanted an AI rifle ever since I new what an AI was. I've had several custom rifles over the last several years that shot great. Last March when Eurooptic had demos on sale i was in a position to sell a few guns and buy an AI AX 308 even though I'd never seen one other than on the internet. I wish I had done it years ago because it is absolutely worth every penny. It is the most accurate rifle i have ever owned and I think the standard factory trigger is perfect. I didn't do anything but adjust the position of the shoe. If you have the opportunity try the AI. Jmho

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Like I've said before. There is only 1 thing a custom can do better than an AI, and it is lighter bolt lift. With that said, I've got my AT bolt running like a freshly fucked fox found in a forest fire. So it's not anything to worry about. I'm never being pulled off target from bolt manipulation.

None feed better than an AI, are any more accurate than an AI, hold their value better than an AI, are as 100% dependable than an AI, get gun bunnies nips harder and clits wetter than an AI ( ? ), are as bomb proof as an AI, get you more tacticool points than an AI, and keep you from catching the Poors virus better than an AI.

On the flipside, there are some really really good custom actions on the market. I'm really digging what Joel is doing with the terminus Zeus. It's all going to depend on what YOU want.

Buy once, cry once. I should have followed that advice but didn't. Bought an RPR to try out bolt guns as I only shot gassers; decided I liked it. Then bought a Mausingfield M5 from Long Rifles; liked it even more. Then bought an AI AT and really liked it; smooth as butter. Then bought an AI AX and I'm finally done, smooth and great ergonomics.

Along the way I sold off each predecessor rifle, I should have just bought the AI to begin with and saved myself a lot of money. I bought my AIs from EuroOptic as Demos. Each was pristine and had never been fired, only played with at a show. Whatever you do, make the decision and don't look back.
Buy once, cry once, unless you're wired like I am and look at what that 5000 would be 10 years from now with something as simple and hands off as even a broad market ETF. Then it's cry several times haha

Reactions: Defender3
AI vs customs threads are my favorite :geek:

@ChuckP65, have you tried and gotten behind an AI rifle? If you like what you saw, felt, shot, then you may as well jump on the AI train and buy one. Seriously, they are awesome rifles.

The advantage to the AI is that one manufacturer is producing all the parts. All the parts are designed to work with each other from the factory. You buy an AI rifle, and it's going to work, and work well. They are robust, and shoot well. The downside to the system is that you are more or less stuck with the rifle "as is", which for most people is certainly not a bad thing. It's a "one size fits most" kind of rifle, and if it works for you, it's hard to do better then an AI.

Custom rifles are nice because you can have it built to your liking and to fit you exactly the way you want - like a good custom made suit. But you need to start with good materials, a good "tailor" (gunsmith) and you need to know what your preferences are. You can get a rifle built that's reliable, has the ergonomics you like, the trigger you like, the stock/chassis you like, and one that shoots very, very well. BUT, you need to know what you're preferences are, and have a good gunsmith put it together so it doesn't have problems once it gets to you. And even then, there can be quirks as you are assembling a rifle made with a bunch of different parts with different tolerances, and they may or may not integrate that well together, causing everything from nuanced little quirks to full on fuckery.

I love custom rifles, and I personally wouldn't trade my custom rifles for an AI. It took a lot of time and money to get there though. My first custom rifle, an early generation GAP Crusader, was a fucking nightmare to run in dusty conditions. It would lock up tighter then a nuns you know what if it had a spec of lube on it to attract dust, in some matches I had to clean it after every couple of stages. Where AI's would just run. There are custom actions/rifles that can be very fickle, and if not setup correctly, will just be the cause of endless frustrations - you won't get that with an AI. The components for custom rifles have been gotten a lot better, but there are still buyer beware stories out there of people having issues with $5K+ custom rigs. Where I ended up with my PRS rig, a Mausingfield with JAE chassis and BnA Tacsport trigger, has been an absolute dream to run in all conditions and it fits me like a bespoke suit, but I would be lying if I didn't tell you that it took a lot of iterations, time and $ to get there.

While I fly the custom rifle flag high and proud here, I bet if I started with an AI, I would probably still be rocking that same AI today. Rather then going through several iterations of custom rifles to finally get a reliable solution that fits me. I'm not huge on the ergonomics and the trigger of the AI, but the rifles just flat out work and in all conditions, and there's something to be said about that.

If an AI rifle checks all your boxes, then just go and buy it. You can't go wrong.

I’ve only ever owned AIs but I recently had the urge to build a custom rifle. I’m very happy with it but the first thing I bought after getting the rifle was the one thing I never bought for my AI....a spare parts kit ????View attachment 7235869

I bet you wish you had a spare parts kit for your AI during the SH cup at RO a couple of years ago ;)

(says the guy who was struggling with his own equipment issues with his custom rifle :ROFLMAO:)

Reactions: Timo Turl
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: HKSniper11B
Like I've said before. There is only 1 thing a custom can do better than an AI, and it is lighter bolt lift. With that said, I've got my AT bolt running like a freshly fucked fox found in a forest fire. So it's not anything to worry about. I'm never being pulled off target from bolt manipulation.

None feed better than an AI, are any more accurate than an AI, hold their value better than an AI, are as 100% dependable than an AI, get gun bunnies nips harder and clits wetter than an AI ( ? ), are as bomb proof as an AI, get you more tacticool points than an AI, and keep you from catching the Poors virus better than an AI.

On the flipside, there are some really really good custom actions on the market. I'm really digging what Joel is doing with the terminus Zeus. It's all going to depend on what YOU want.

I am a new AIAT owner. I wanted one for quite some time due to fit and function. Now that I finally made the leap... it is everything these more experienced folks are telling you. It is a heavy but trustworthy companion. It is honest, for when I miss, I know without doubt the fault lies with my technique. As such, it is a real pleasure to shoot. And despite what some have stated, I love the AI competition trigger. The feel is smooth and predictable. My only regret is not making this jumper much sooner.

So I’ve been mulling an AT for a long time. Is one in 6.5 CM worth it or is there a better way to spend $4 to $5k? I am in to LRP and want to move up from base equipment. Is this next level or would it be better to build something? If I could do that for like $3k that leaves more for a high quality optic. Are AIs worth the high price? I may compete but it’s not guaranteed. Need advice. Other AIs seem to be above my pay grade.
AI makes top notch guns but there are the Ruger and new Sig that you might wanna check out, along with a few other options. Also some known smiths might have demo builds laying around that need homes. ??

My AT was my first bolt action rifle, I still don't have a second. The only thing it can't do is run all these new wizbang cartridges (valkyrie, prc's, saum's etc), but other than that its awesome.

OP if you are asking the question, the answer is yes. You will always wonder and never be satisfied until you do. AI rifles rock.

Reactions: BGH808
AXMC UK Chambered 338LM, 308, 6.5
27" barrel
S&B PMII LP MSR 5x25x56
Most accurate, durable, dependable rig I have. Worth every penny or grand depending if I'm talking to the wife.

Attachments

• 15802806810571468792963.jpg
    15802806810571468792963.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 133
Never seen a British proof mark on an AXMC tube. Did you order UK barrels specifically from Sporting Services?
Yes, I had mine built custom by AI UK
Then a few months later, after my wife got over that chunk, I had the UK guys spin me a 308 and 6.5 for it. This is my 3rd AI...first 2 were AIUS. UK equipment is superior.

AXMC UK Chambered 338LM, 308, 6.5
27" barrel
S&B PMII LP MSR 5x25x56
Most accurate, durable, dependable rig I have. Worth every penny or grand depending if I'm talking to the wife.
Sage green is really growing on me. I think I may have to go this pathway

Yes, I had mine built custom by AI UK
Then a few months later, after my wife got over that chunk, I had the UK guys spin me a 308 and 6.5 for it. This is my 3rd AI...first 2 were AIUS. UK equipment is superior.

Ahhh, interesting. What customization did you have performed by AIUK?

Sage green is really growing on me. I think I may have to go this pathway
I'm agree. When I originally ordered this one from AIUK, that was right at the time they were switching over from Olive to AIs new factory Sage...that caused a 3 month snag, but it was worth it.

Like I've said before. There is only 1 thing a custom can do better than an AI, and it is lighter bolt lift. With that said, I've got my AT bolt running like a freshly fucked fox found in a forest fire.

Do tell how you mod'd your bolt...

Reactions: RS14
I'm agree. When I originally ordered this one from AIUK, that was right at the time they were switching over from Olive to AIs new factory Sage...that caused a 3 month snag, but it was worth it.
I have a black MC and am looking at what to coat it to. Sage green is winning the race so far but I’m yet to get a good look at elite sand

Reactions: BGH808
I bet you wish you had a spare parts kit for your AI during the SH cup at RO a couple of years ago ;)

(says the guy who was struggling with his own equipment issues with his custom rifle :ROFLMAO:)
Touché ! I will remind you that despite not having the spare part, I still managed to finish every stage of the match and the failure was on shot 1 Stage 1. Get a custom and an AI, best of both worlds, then you are always right in threads like this ???

Reactions: kthomas
Think I used incorrect verbiage there....everything is factory, I meant to say hand built.

No worries. So for the masses here that are going to wonder what improvements this may make over AI’s "traditional" assembly and QA process in the US or UK - what would these be perhaps?

Reactions: USMC mustang
No worries. So for the masses here that are going to wonder what improvements this may make over AI’s "traditional" assembly and QA process in the US or UK - what would these be perhaps?
Well, my AIUSA rifles were "off the rack" or "mass production". When I bought this one, as it was being built, they communicated by video and picture, demonstrating each piece of the process. I'm not a smith, so im by no means an expert, but when they got down to spinning the barrel, they explained that the process there is different(slower) than US. According to my guy, this adds to the precision of the product but adds time. Being able to watch the entire build being completed by hand was informative to say the least....one of the main differences between my US and UK versions is weight. The UK version is 9oz lighter @13.75lbs but the construction is far more stout. As to the specific differences between the barrels(which both have a 1:9.735) I'm not sure[I can say for sure, that @MER my groups are much tighter with the UK]. The action on the UK is smother and a bit more solid...there is zero wiggle while on my USA, there is a bit of horizontal wiggle at the back end. Overall, the UK is just plain more solid than its US cousin. That's the best I can do. I apologize, as I am not an expert...but I am a competent LRS and have a ton of trigger time with both and in my opinion, the UK performs consistently better, especially at and beyond 1760.?
Hope that helps

• Haha
Reactions: SRPowah
AI vs customs threads are my favorite :geek:

@ChuckP65, have you tried and gotten behind an AI rifle? If you like what you saw, felt, shot, then you may as well jump on the AI train and buy one. Seriously, they are awesome rifles.

The advantage to the AI is that one manufacturer is producing all the parts. All the parts are designed to work with each other from the factory. You buy an AI rifle, and it's going to work, and work well. They are robust, and shoot well. The downside to the system is that you are more or less stuck with the rifle "as is", which for most people is certainly not a bad thing. It's a "one size fits most" kind of rifle, and if it works for you, it's hard to do better then an AI.

Custom rifles are nice because you can have it built to your liking and to fit you exactly the way you want - like a good custom made suit. But you need to start with good materials, a good "tailor" (gunsmith) and you need to know what your preferences are. You can get a rifle built that's reliable, has the ergonomics you like, the trigger you like, the stock/chassis you like, and one that shoots very, very well. BUT, you need to know what you're preferences are, and have a good gunsmith put it together so it doesn't have problems once it gets to you. And even then, there can be quirks as you are assembling a rifle made with a bunch of different parts with different tolerances, and they may or may not integrate that well together, causing everything from nuanced little quirks to full on fuckery.

I love custom rifles, and I personally wouldn't trade my custom rifles for an AI. It took a lot of time and money to get there though. My first custom rifle, an early generation GAP Crusader, was a fucking nightmare to run in dusty conditions. It would lock up tighter then a nuns you know what if it had a spec of lube on it to attract dust, in some matches I had to clean it after every couple of stages. Where AI's would just run. There are custom actions/rifles that can be very fickle, and if not setup correctly, will just be the cause of endless frustrations - you won't get that with an AI. The components for custom rifles have been gotten a lot better, but there are still buyer beware stories out there of people having issues with $5K+ custom rigs. Where I ended up with my PRS rig, a Mausingfield with JAE chassis and BnA Tacsport trigger, has been an absolute dream to run in all conditions and it fits me like a bespoke suit, but I would be lying if I didn't tell you that it took a lot of iterations, time and $ to get there.

While I fly the custom rifle flag high and proud here, I bet if I started with an AI, I would probably still be rocking that same AI today. Rather then going through several iterations of custom rifles to finally get a reliable solution that fits me. I'm not huge on the ergonomics and the trigger of the AI, but the rifles just flat out work and in all conditions, and there's something to be said about that.

If an AI rifle checks all your boxes, then just go and buy it. You can't go wrong.
No. I'm dying to and considering the 3 hour drive to dos so at Eurooptic as someone else mentioned. The reason I'm avoiding custom is just as you say. It's a crap shoot that you have to spend tons of money on. A great example is I got lucky enough that someone I know gave my his Timney RPR as he had bought a Jard. It's OK but not $240 better than the factory one and his had the safety binding problem. I stay away from $90 bolt knobs as I tend to want to pay for function. I see no reason to trick out an RPR with anodized parts and titanium bolt shrouds. I spend money on barrels and things that really felt performance.

Reading many observations since I started this thread clearly an AI is stepping up from a Honda to a BMW. I realize it may not outshoot my RPR but it does everything really well and of course the quick barrel change is huge as is the adjustable trigger. Someone asked me on this why I would want another gun that does what my RPR does. One reason - because I want and can afford one.

Taking this on a little tangent I love clays. I bought a Beretta A400 XCEL competition semi auto. All of the traditionalists turned their nose up - as they watch me hit targets in-between their misses. That gun will never be sold and I think an AI right next to it would do the same for me for a PR. The search would be over. If I want another caliber easy enough.

I've made up my mind to get one. Now I just have to make it happen.

Last question - What is the difference between the AXs and the AX-SR that is 'coming soon' at Mile High? AI's site doesn't mention

Well, my AIUSA rifles were "off the rack" or "mass production". When I bought this one, as it was being built, they communicated by video and picture, demonstrating each piece of the process. I'm not a smith, so im by no means an expert, but when they got down to spinning the barrel, they explained that the process there is different(slower) than US. According to my guy, this adds to the precision of the product but adds time. Being able to watch the entire build being completed by hand was informative to say the least....one of the main differences between my US and UK versions is weight. The UK version is 9oz lighter @13.75lbs but the construction is far more stout. As to the specific differences between the barrels(which both have a 1:9.735) I'm not sure[I can say for sure, that @MER my groups are much tighter with the UK]. The action on the UK is smother and a bit more solid...there is zero wiggle while on my USA, there is a bit of horizontal wiggle at the back end. Overall, the UK is just plain more solid than its US cousin. That's the best I can do. I apologize, as I am not an expert...but I am a competent LRS and have a ton of trigger time with both and in my opinion, the UK performs consistently better, especially at and beyond 1760.?
Hope that helps

when-youre-listening-to-someones-bullshit-5299157.png

The AT LE is not an LE Only option

pretty sure anyone can get it
Why in the world would an AT from and AX ass be LE only? The only reason I can think of is like Winchester Ranger HG ammo. They sell LE 50 round boxes of the 'exact' same HPs they sell to civilians in a box of 20 for the SAME price. The worst is Hornady. I've talked to a well known on line provider of fodder and he tells me Hornady threatens anyone who sells TAP to civilians. Why? Cost. I think the same reason is to blame here. What would be the legality reason? I can buy the exact kit SOCOM uses but not what a Police sniper uses?

Hope that helps

Uhhhhh, you do realize that ALL of the AI actions are made in the UK right? The AT's even come to the US as 100% UK rifles and the AX's get a Bartlein barrel spun on here. And no, the UK Lothar barrel is not better than the USA Bartlein barrels either.

Uhhhhh, you do realize that ALL of the AI actions are made in the UK right? The AT's even come to the US as 100% UK rifles and the AX's get a Bartlein barrel spun on here. And no, the UK Lothar barrel is not better than the USA Bartlein barrels either.
Placebo effect works wonders on some.

Hope that helps

Oh no, that’s perfect. I just knew someone was going to wonder why Americans suck at gunsmithing ?

I have an AT and love it. The one thing I wish I could do to it without spending a bunch of cash is lighten up the trigger.

Someday I might try reducing the 1st stage weight.

If I ran AI I wouldn't produce two different rifles for the US and UK simply because it's not cost effective to manage two different lines. Why would they do this? Their site says all are hand built in England.

On US site an AT308 is listed as 5.8KG (12.8 lbs) 24 inch. There is no UK site. British review of same rifle on Rifle Shooter - UK online magazine. Rifle is 5.8KG (12.8 lbs) same rifle . Not sure how you got a more robust English version. Perhaps this was long ago?

For those who have asked, I didnt mod my bolt. It just takes rounds through it and know how and where to lube and grease it and with what. I use a couple drops synthetic motor oil on the top of the ID of the action and bolt stop, then most importantly, a light dab of brake grease on the lug where the bolt handle meets the bolt body on the aft side where it meets the action. If u look at your bolt handle when cycling it slowly, you'll see where the contact is. U lightly grease it there and the bolt almost slams shut on bolt close. It even makes the bolt lift lighter due to less friction. Other than that, I havent done a single thing to my bolt. u don't need to use a lot of oil or grease. A literal drop of each and Bob's your uncle.

The answer is quite simple; although the rifles appear similar, they are drastically different. Across the pond, the AT is dubbed the “After Tea”. These elite and very unique rifles are built within a window of time that exists immediately following Tea Time. During this time, extreme focus is maintained, enhanced motor function exhibited and this leads to a superior rifle.
These rifles definitely group better and do not exhibit the sloppy loose action that the greasy fingered freedom fry eating American induces by placing a Euro rifle on an American shelf.

I’ve been in the same boat, except with an AX. I’ve heard nothing but great things, and like not having to worry about my rifles if they get dirty, nocked around or just abused. Sounds like an AI fits the bill.

For those who have asked, I didnt mod my bolt. It just takes rounds through it and know how and where to lube and grease it and with what. I use a couple drops synthetic motor oil on the top of the ID of the action and bolt stop, then most importantly, a light dab of brake grease on the lug where the bolt handle meets the bolt body on the aft side where it meets the action. If u look at your bolt handle when cycling it slowly, you'll see where the contact is. U lightly grease it there and the bolt almost slams shut on bolt close. It even makes the bolt lift lighter due to less friction. Other than that, I havent done a single thing to my bolt. u don't need to use a lot of oil or grease. A literal drop of each and Bob's your uncle.

Do the same with the fore side contact points and it makes a huge difference.