• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AT - Worth It?

That's right. There is LE packaged but not LE only meaning you can get the same bullet but in civilian packaging. Give me an example of something a civilian can't have that LE can ......

20200130_172714.jpg

To clarify my original reply, this is just a few examples of mission specific ammunition produced specifically for L.E.
These rounds are manufactured using components that cannot be found in "civilian" packaging.

I don't think anyone was getting pissed. Just trying to sort out what you meant.

./

You can buy an AI AT as a fixed variant and upgrade it to the LE / AX buttstock, then resell it as an AT LE, doesn't mean you bought an AT LE, you made one, which is semantically different.

I hope every one knows AT LE stands for Accuracy Tacticool Luvman Edition.
It was named that because AI saw how cool my rifle looked when I converted it in late December of ‘18.

Just Sayin....:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

I want some real AP ammo. And some raufoss 338 and .50.

Wtf. Shall not be infringed. More assholes

Reactions: Nik H
Meh. Desert Techs are handier and have a better barrel change system with less poi drift when you change he barrel

Reactions: culater
Meh. Desert Techs are handier and have a better barrel change system with less poi drift when you change he barrel

I've never been around one but I highly doubt they have less POI change swapping barrels than an AI. Handier, maybe if you're not running a short barrel on an AI but I don't want my action directly under my face and right next to my throat.

AI is better quality and more reliable for sure
But desert techs are much handier even with a 16-18” barrel on the ai.
The barrel change system is better. More secure. And zero windage between a 223, 6,5 amen 308 barrel. Elevation is 0 for 308. 1/2” high with 223 and 2” low with 6,5.

I've never been around one but I highly doubt they have less POI change swapping barrels than an AI. Handier, maybe if you're not running a short barrel on an AI but I don't want my action directly under my face and right next to my throat.
You could have just stopped at "never been around one".

And for POI shifts, everyone is going to experience a shift when swapping from one barrel to another. The POI shift you want to avoid is when removing and reinstalling the same barrel.
I like my desert tech a lot but I've jammed it a few times trying to quickly cycle the bolt.

This is the equivalent to people who don’t like appendix carry or think flying is unsafe but drive everywhere.

And for POI shifts, everyone is going to experience a shift when swapping from one barrel to another. The POI shift you want to avoid is when removing and reinstalling the same barrel.
I like my desert tech a lot but I've jammed it a few times trying to quickly cycle the bolt.

I could have, I guess. But I know I dont like Bullpups and I can see where the action is when in a firing position, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. Of course every system has a shift of some sort typically. My point is, if you're doing it the same way every time and every mating surface is clean, the shift of an AI is dead nuta repeatable. So how much better can a DT be than dead nuts? I dont even get crazy about my swaps and I've never said " damn, it's .3 left this time when its suposed to be .5.".

This is the equivalent to people who don’t like appendix carry or think flying is unsafe but drive everywhere.

My gut makes appendix carry uncomfortable so I don't like it and Kobe didn't die driving, so there's that. Lol

I could have, I guess. But I know I dont like Bullpups and I can see where the action is when in a firing position, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.
If you were around one, you can see just how much steel is around the chamber and how much aluminum clamps around that steel. Or how big the bolt lugs are. Find one case of one blowing up.

I agree with you on the POI shifts. That part of the reply was for deersniper.

Reactions: deersniper
I never claimed one blew, just that I didn't want the action under my face. I'm familiar with how big the bolts and all are. That still doesn't change that. Different strokes for different folks.

If you want to have minimal shift between barrels, I've found in my experience that shouldered barrels have very minimal shift (~0.10 mils or less) when swapping between barrels.

Of course, if you go that route, you give up the convenience of "quick change" systems. There's always going to be a compromise somewhere. I personally don't mind changing out shouldered barrels, and not having to change the zero is a really nice benefit. For others, a more field expedient barrel swap system will take priority over minimizing POI shifts between barrels.

It's all about figuring out what you want to prioritize, and where you are willing to compromise.

If you want to have minimal shift between barrels, I've found in my experience that shouldered barrels have very minimal shift (~0.10 mils or less) when swapping between barrels.

Of course, if you go that route, you give up the convenience of "quick change" systems. There's always going to be a compromise somewhere. I personally don't mind changing out shouldered barrels, and not having to change the zero is a really nice benefit. For others, a more field expedient barrel swap system will take priority over minimizing POI shifts between barrels.

It's all about figuring out what you want to prioritize, and where you are willing to compromise.
I choose to switch complete rifles with scopes already zeroed ready to go. I don’t even switch bipods. My rifles either have them or they don’t. I don’t switch uppers and lowers on Ar15 rifles either. That’s my prioritization.

Edit to add: If I wouldn’t have so much tied up in doing things the way I described, maybe I would fork over the 7k to buy an AI. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas
Having owned both, the DT is very utilitarian - the trigger was good enough, but not good. The fit of the skins was unrefined (see the washer mod for drop free mags). The AI fit and finish was off the charts - the trigger was a bit heavier than I'd choose, but incredibly crisp.
Overall, I'd pay more for an AI, but the DT definitely has its role. The CS and constant turnover was a bit disconcerting regarding the DT. Seemed Everytime I had to get a hold of them, the person that helped previously was gone.

Well, the LE edition according to Mile High is LE only, as i just asked them. They do offer the swap to LE configuration for 900 or you could do it yourself.

Adding that to AT price AT and AX are only about $2k apart. Might as well go right to the AX.

Adding that to AT price AT and AX are only about $2k apart. Might as well go right to the AX.
You should buy the AX I posted above from Euro at $4799. Sell the barrel if you don't like the caliber. It's a better deal than the AT with a an AX butt stock. An AT folder can likely be had for around $4150.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
1) $2K is a huge chunk of cash
2) The AT front end has some real advantages over the AX (obviously depending on your uses)

Beyond buying a demo or something used, the path to an AT LE is as follows

you get an AT with a Fixed Stock, you buy the AX stock upgrade which is installed at MHSA, and in the end, it's only about a $500 upgrade over a standard AT.

you get the folder, the AX stock as you are replacing the fixed stock with the folder hardware.

This is your best route for new.

I've had both. Kept the AI. If there is an accuracy difference between barrel swaps, I can't tell it. More importantly, IME its much more reliable - especially the magazines.

More handier for what? All fine on a square range or a PRS Type competition where totally exposing yourself doesn't matter. Have you ever deployed on a call and your only option is shooting from your weak side? Try that with a Desert Tech or any bull pup bolt action for that matter and tell me how it worked out.

More handier for what? All fine on a square range or a PRS Type competition where totally exposing yourself doesn't matter. Have you ever deployed on a call and your only option is shooting from your weak side? Try that with a Desert Tech or any bull pup bolt action for that matter and tell me how it worked out.
Handier for “deploying “ out of vehicles/equipment/hunting/offhand/etc.

In and out of vehicles/equipment is worlds easier with a 26” dta versus a 18” AI folder.

The AI is a higher quality rifle no doubt but the DT has some pointed advantages

If you were around one, you can see just how much steel is around the chamber and how much aluminum clamps around that steel. Or how big the bolt lugs are. Find one case of one blowing up.

As a matter of fact there was a guy on here a while back who blew one up. I can't recall if we ever found out what the issue was. Anyone else remember that post ? I remember from the pictures it was catastrophic.

You can fire the DT left handed. Reloading will be awkward but the bolt won’t knock your teeth out.

Also, not impressed by the story about firing a 300 in a 338. Of course it didn’t blow up. Now, if you fired a 338NM in a 300LMAI and it didn’t shatter I will be impressed.

OP, whatever the hell you do, take it from me, you buy one, you will be buying another, and another, and another. That’s how the AI thing goes for 90% of us.
Word. No such thing as halfway gangster/sniper. There are $200 barrels and below and there are $600 barrels and above.

Not le or operator, but I cleaned plate racks at 500 plus easy and won a few local competitions with a DT shooting weak hand stages. The difficulty is of raising your face an inch and a half off the reciever to cycle the bolt is overblown.

My match rifles are conventional because the balance is superior in most ways for gaming stages.

Nothing compares with the mobility and compactness of a DT currently.

DT is still my favored hunting rifle.

I have owned an AIAT and a AXMC but that was before I started shooting competitively. Both DT and AI triggers suck compared to a TT diamond or similar.

I saw a guy on a video do something like a muscle up to get onto another platform overhead by sticking his AI between two posts rather than run around and climb up the stage. That was very badass.

They are tough and functional guns and seeing the AO chassis makes me want to get one again. AIs are worth it. They are not a highly competitive competition gun in their current configuration but that may be changing. I have not messed around with the competition 2 stage trigger either.

I still own a DT.

Can't remember if I commented on this one or not, since there are multiple like it. As a new guy I went the Lego route and slapped together a copy of the John Hancock basically. The accuracy and precision is there, equal to AI. But, it's just a range toy so far although I would like to compete at some point. That is where the reliably and durability and ergos may outshine the Lego. And it wasn't that much cheaper. At least $2k, so depending on your perspective and what happens to my system under stress it could be a good deal or a complete waste of $ lol.

My Son has several AI rifles. One I know has over 40,000 rounds through it. I , upon his reco, have one in line in 6CM as I have no interest in loading competition level ammo. I've seen him shoot many many times and now at my old age have taken up LR competition. From what little I know he'll hook me up with a winner . He knows everything about these rifles and tells me that I'll NEVER be at a disadvantage with the setup he ordered for me. Hey lowlight!!! Hope all is well.

Reactions: kthomas
The lego assembly self built rifle may never be an AI but at least I can put a good trigger into my assembly.

Everyone knows that the AI two stage is brutally heavy and it’s scientifically impossible to shoot a good group with anything heavier than a 6 ounce pull. That’s why AIs don’t shoot well.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat as you. I read all I could, asked questions, checked videos, and bought one. It was better than expected with amazing adjustability including the trigger length of pull. Best rifle I've ever owned!

i-8tmNmVv-XL.jpg
What AI model and caliber is your rifle?

Everyone knows that the AI two stage is brutally heavy and it’s scientifically impossible to shoot a good group with anything heavier than a 6 ounce pull. That’s why AIs don’t shoot well.

Yeah what he said! This is the first 5rd group from my rifle using the factory trigger is trash. I’m saving for the comp trigger!!! Hopefully it will tighten things up!! :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Attachments

• 257405FA-537F-4E3B-AFE2-F6AE18B9932B.jpeg
    257405FA-537F-4E3B-AFE2-F6AE18B9932B.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 115
I have to know what you consider a good group at what range.