• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AT-X

Does anyone have any idea what time frame we are looking at for chassis? Wish they would have gotten this out before I bought my AX last year.

If anyone here switches out from their AX chassis to a AT-X and wants to sell their AX chassis I would be interested in buying. I have an AT I wouldn’t mind switching to AX if the price is reasonable.

All ?... Or the first shipment will be out then?...
I thought it was mentioned the first shipment would be pre-orders and once they sold out, it moved to back orders?
If anyone here switches out from their AX chassis to a AT-X and wants to sell their AX chassis I would be interested in buying. I have an AT I wouldn’t mind switching to AX if the price is reasonable.
Speculating, but selling the AT-X chassis early in the process doesn't seem a prudent marketing move. Disclaimer, I'm in no way associated with AI, nor do I know anything more than anyone else in this thread.

You can't put a straight barrel on (only a gay one), trust me, I tried. 1.250 would make contact with NV bridge during recoil. So I had to shave it down.
Played it safe with 1.200 for about 5", then tapered to 1.150" at the muzzle. Still beefy.

@Frank Green Here's the specs for my 24" 6.5CM barrel that came in my PreProd. 1.225" at the shoulder and goes to 2" before it starts to taper, end at .980" at the muzzle.

So it's 1.225" for 3.5" (1.5" are tenon threads) then tapers to .980" at the muzzle for 24". Weighs 5.26lbs

You kids need to realize, they go on lockdown all that time in the UK. That's why we still haven't seen the AX50 ELR... don't get all upset when the dates keep getting pushed further back. Go watch paint dry instead...

@Chasing3 I have one in the PX... just saying.

Who makes AI factory barrels?

Lothar Walter and WinTac. Most of the barrels you'll see in the U.S. are WinTac.

Ive heard of WinTac before but I assumed they were just doing the chamber work. Didn’t know they made the barrels

You kids need to realize, they go on lockdown all that time in the UK. That's why we still haven't seen the AX50 ELR...

I emailed the dealer in the UK last month, asking about buying a MKIII forend and they told me they have yet to even receive the rifle and have no date as to when they will. ....and they are right up the road 😂

BREXIT and COVID must have made for a great combo.

Ive heard of WinTac before but I assumed they were just doing the chamber work. Didn’t know they made the barrels
Sorry - they use Bartlein blanks and finish them - I should have read your question.

I think WinTac has been around since 2015 or so and is a sort of "collaboration" with AI due to the WinTac ownership. They have basically replaced the previous AI barrel suppliers (Border, Dave Tooley and I believe some others), supply US barrels and 6.5CM barrels for the U.K (using Bartlein blanks). I'll stop there as I may be talking out my backside, I don't keep up with all this stuff like I used to. Apology to AI if I got this wrong.

You can't put a straight barrel on (only a gay one), trust me, I tried. 1.250 would make contact with NV bridge during recoil. So I had to shave it down.
Played it safe with 1.200 for about 5", then tapered to 1.150" at the muzzle. Still beefy.

@Frank Green Here's the specs for my 24" 6.5CM barrel that came in my PreProd. 1.225" at the shoulder and goes to 2" before it starts to taper, end at .980" at the muzzle.

So it's 1.225" for 3.5" (1.5" are tenon threads) then tapers to .980" at the muzzle for 24". Weighs 5.26lbs

You kids need to realize, they go on lockdown all that time in the UK. That's why we still haven't seen the AX50 ELR... don't get all upset when the dates keep getting pushed further back. Go watch paint dry instead...

@Chasing3 I have one in the PX... just saying.
That’s why I went with the M40 contour we do. It’s 1.200” on the breech diameter.

Thanks for the info!

So if im reading this right the #6 contour i have on order to go in one of these will still work, of do i need to be running the M40 contour?

Reactions: Frank Green
Sorry - they use Bartlein blanks and finish them - I should have read your question.

I think WinTac has been around since 2015 or so and is a sort of "collaboration" with AI due to the WinTac ownership. They have basically replaced the previous AI barrel suppliers (Border, Dave Tooley and I believe some others), supply US barrels and 6.5CM barrels for the U.K (using Bartlein blanks). I'll stop there as I may be talking out my backside, I don't keep up with all this stuff like I used to. Apology to AI if I got this wrong.

And they flat out hammer

Last edited:
So if im reading this right the #6 contour i have on order to go in one of these will still work, of do i need to be running the M40 contour?

You should be fine. It's closer to the front of the rifle where you should be more careful with the thickness of the barrel.

If you're not planning on running a NV bridge, 1.25" straight will work (haven't put weights on barrel channel to see if it would make contact) fine.

I have a few Proof Competition Contours on order -

1615081565093.png

Will this clear the NV bridge? I guess if I run it as a full cover, then is it going to contact at the breech? 9.25" until it starts really tappering to the 1.185"

Guys, my 1.250' would still clear the bridge. Would just make contact with the front end at (about 16.5") when fired (flexed, yes, even that heavy a* profile barrel).

Reactions: Peter Laurvick
The #6 should still work fine. As has been pointed out....look up at the NV mount area of the stock. Try and get a measurement of the max. allowable diameter that will fit. I think you will be o.k. though.

Thanks for the conformation everyone. Just to be safe i should probably just order another barrel in the M40 contour, can never have to many Bartlein's for an AI.

The AT-X will ship with a 4 groove cut rifle barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor manufactured by AI in Portsmouth, UK.

Barrels supplied in the US are finished at WIN Tactical from contoured blanks supplied by Bartlein. We have been using Bartlein blanks for about 10 years in the U.S. and will continue to do so.

The interior diameter of the forend bridges is 1.300". The bridge will clear a 1.250" diameter barrel. As Jorge has noted, running a no taper 1.250" barrel may not be the best approach and we did not intend to design the rifle to such extremes. The channel weights, when installed, will also clear a 1.250" barrel. The AI barrel is 1.220" at the breach end and .950 at the muzzle. The weight of the finished 6.5 CM barrel at 24" is 5.8 lbs. So, it's very close to the "M24/M40" profile in finished weight.

IMG_6214.jpg
IMG_6517.jpg

I see 4x red AT-X rifles

practscore shows 4 pros total

we’re the AI team the only pros at this event?
The Quantico Shooting Club matches are local to us and we intend to come out and support them to maximum extent possible. The inaugural match was very successful and I expect subsequent matches to be even better. We may shoot tactical class in the future to mix things up, but we are definitely supporting this series regardless of arbitrary classifications.

With the MDT ACC, there is some flex in the long forend. If I dry fired my gun, the forend would ring like a tuning fork. When I am handling the gun and hit the forend on something, it would ring like a tuning fork. Firing, fork.
I get all long forearms are going to flex a little when there's a bunch of weight on top of it, but that ringing.

Reactions: Bravo6niner
I haven't shot the ACC for comparison, but I haven't noticed any unusual harmonics or ringing with the AT-X. The upper chassis is machined from 7075 and that may be a factor.

Reactions: Stoweit
I remember frank making a comment about AT-X possibly being a decent crossover rifle with a lighter barrel since the factory supplied barrel is a ... Bit of a thick chick ....

So for those of you that have been able to put hands on the few atx units that are out there ... I'm curious ... has anyone played with lighter contours or proof barrels on this thing to see how long of a barrel and suppressor it would take to still get it to balance? I'm curious how much lighter this thing can get and maintain it's function...

Reactions: TacticalPlinker
I remember frank making a comment about AT-X possibly being a decent crossover rifle with a lighter barrel since the factory supplied barrel is a ... Bit of a thick chick ....

So for those of you that have been able to put hands on the few atx units that are out there ... I'm curious ... has anyone played with lighter contours or proof barrels on this thing to see how long of a barrel and suppressor it would take to still get it to balance? I'm curious how much lighter this thing can get and maintain it's function...
My educated guess would be, Depending on scope/bipod choice you could get it to around 15lbs with a proof barrel around 24”. My AI AO is about 8.5lbs without a scope/barrel/bipod.
my proof CF 24” 6.5CM barrel is about 3lbs.

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver

Lol everyone else is trying to make it as heavy as possible and your looking for a hunting rig...

I bet with glass no barrel your probably 12-14lbs
With a shorty steel or pencil barrel or a carbon I bet your minimum 15lbs

My educated guess would be, Depending on scope/bipod choice you could get it to around 15lbs with a proof barrel around 24”. My AI AO is about 8.5lbs without a scope/barrel/bipod.
my proof CF 24” 6.5CM barrel is about 3lbs.
I imagine the two are going to be very similar with all things considered so that is likely a realistic range. Thanks
Lol everyone else is trying to make it as heavy as possible and your looking for a hunting rig...

I bet with glass no barrel your probably 12-14lbs
With a shorty steel or pencil barrel or a carbon I bet your minimum 15lbs
Lol, hell no. This thing is 2x the weight of what I'd call a hunting rifle! After listening to one of the interviews, I was just curious how light can it be and still maintain it's purpose since Frank was hinting at it being a crossover rifle.

I'm just looking into options to mitigate how heavy it gets while trying to maintain the balance point. I'm just NOT the guy looking for another 20+ lb rifle...

@PlinkIt @Huskydriver not that I want to derail the thread too much but the ATX and AI AO (action and chassis only) are about the same weight. Smidge over 8lbs.
This is what I might end up running in the NRL Hunter match this month. And I’ve hunted with a fully kitted AXMC at 19-20lbs a few times. My regular hunting rifles at usually between 13-16lbs.
In regards to balance point, it’s all jacked up in this configuration, way too rear heavy. Realistically it balances right at 19-20lbs. My medium Palma barrel is too light.
CAC7541A-5317-4470-8197-F19C87034C30.jpeg

I'm definitely interested in making my AT-X lighter as well. Specifically for predator and DMR training. I'll be perfectly happy with a 15lb or less fully dressed setup. Looking to run a 22" Proof carbon in 6.5 Creed with an Ultra Short. Looking to take advantage of the AT-X's lower bore height in the chassis to mitigate the recoil of a lighter barrel.

Last edited:
I also plan to hunt with the AT-X although not getting for that purpose. I want a Steel 6CM barrel for matches mostly then a Carbon 20” .308win for Tac class matches and hunting. Eventually would love a 6.5 PRC in carbon either 22-24” then throw a lighter scope like a Mk5 3.6-18x44 and I don’t think it would be terrible. I’d rather have a rifle I’m very comfortable with for hunting even if it does weigh more than a dedicated lightweight hunting rig. And I figure a carbon barrel would make life easier on field style matches where you’re carrying everything as well, assuming you could balance it again

My AT LE is 12.6lbs bare gun with the 16.5" .308 barrel and an empty mag. Add in the 20moa NV bridge, a TBAC bipod, RRS Chassis Arca Rail, TBAC CB muzzle brake, Spuhr mount and ZC527 and she tips the scales at 17.8lbs. Just eliminating the RRS rail and NV bridge would drop 15oz and then it's safe to assume that the AT-X/AO chassis would weigh less than that of the AT, I would think by a pound if not more, that's a savings of two pounds, possibly more, which would put that same configuration around 15.5lbs. Granted that's with a short barrel but a 20-22" carbon wrapped barrel should weigh roughly the same as the steel shorty, I can live with 15-ish pounds but I still wouldn't want to hump it around for days in the mountains on a stalk hunt.

I can't decide if I should leave the AT LE as it is for general plinking and coyote/pig field overwatch and pick up an AT-X for PRS/Classes or go ahead and spend the money to debond it and drop it in the AO or AT-X chassis. Does anyone know what the AO chassis weighs or the AT without the stock, maybe @samb300?

Just for additional comparison of weight. My AT is 8 lbs 4oz. My AT with AX buttstock conversation is 8lbs 8oz. Both were weighed with no barrel, no scope, no magazine. The AT with AX buttstock does have an attached arca rail on it.

Reactions: Peter Laurvick
I could deal with that weight for a solid performing rifle I feel confident with. Granted that’s not a pack on elk rifle or something I’d haul for sheep hunting in Alaska. But hogs, deer out a stand, coyotes, etc I’d take it for sure. And even if balance sucks and it really back heavy it just mean more muzzle rise. For one shot hunting it wouldn’t be that big a deal

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
Or a whole ax since they are worthless now 🤣?
No way Jose!

The AT-X is kinda cool for those PRS guys that like to shuffle weights around and run red or blue rifles but Ill keeping my AX.

I cant be the only one that is not a huge fan. I admit the red on black is pretty sharp, but I feel like guys are trading in their F150s on a Miata with this one. Pretty red, light, and fast, but loses the military robustness.

No way Jose!

The AT-X is kinda cool for those PRS guys that like to shuffle weights around and run red or blue rifles but Ill keeping my AX.

I cant be the only one that is not a huge fan. I admit the red on black is pretty sharp, but I feel like guys are trading in their F150s on a Miata with this one. Pretty red, light, and fast, but loses the military robustness.
Shut your mouf...I need a worthless ax for 4 k lol