• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AW and AE differences?

bdcmh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2011
Ohio
I am looking at getting an AI AW or AE and wanted to know what the actual performance differences were.

I understand the magazine differences. I also understand that the AW receiver is permanently bonded to the chassis.

From prior posts I have heard that the AE is the better value but if there is a chance to get the AW to do so. What would those reasons to step up be?

Does this translates to demonstrably better accuracy?

Better reliability?

What?

Thank you

The biggest performance difference is the true double stack magazine. Another slight advantage is the AW doesn't need to be removed from the chassis to swap barrels whereas the AE does because of the recoil lug.

Accuracy will be a wash and the AE is a better value without a doubt. At the end of the day you can't go wrong with any AI. It's just a matter of deciding which features are right for you.

It can be summed up this easy. AE = Normal Edition, AW = Baller Edition.

The AW action is permanently bonded to the chassis for rigidity. The double stack mags are a huge improvement also.

It can be summed up this easy. AE = Normal Edition, AW = Baller Edition.

I checked with my wife and banker and oddly enough it turns out I am not a baller. So, I will need some other reason to justify the AW.

The AW action is permanently bonded to the chassis for rigidity. The double stack mags are a huge improvement also.

I do like the ability of having 10-rounds without the mag hanging way out of the rifle. Does the added rigidity translate to better accuracy or ruggedness? Or is it one of those neat things that was done because I could be done.

Perhaps I just need to get somewhere that has both and look at them.

Thanks

I do like the ability of having 10-rounds without the mag hanging way out of the rifle. Does the added rigidity translate to better accuracy or ruggedness? Or is it one of those neat things that was done because I could be done.

Perhaps I just need to get somewhere that has both and look at them.

Thanks
No difference in accuracy, the beefier action bonded to the chassis is just one step closer to being indestructible. With that being said,the AE is still much tougher than most rifles. I suppose the AW or AX should be able to take more of a beating and still maintain zero. But if you are putting an AE through enough punishment to shift the zero,the optic is probably trashed.

Watch the exchange here, you find used AWs here all the time for new AE prices. Just be patient.

Hate to say that Mile High Shooting had several on sale for $1000 off and free shipping until Dec. 31st! oops...

Missed those but the drive to Denver to look at them would be more than I want to do and I cannot yet justify the money for the AW.

It looks like Eurooptic is the closest to me but they are still a good distance away.

Missed those but the drive to Denver to look at them would be more than I want to do and I cannot yet justify the money for the AW.

It looks like Eurooptic is the closest to me but they are still a good distance away.
Seems like you're having trouble deciding which style to get. If you knew, you could buy one lightly used from a reputable Hide member at a good discount. You can search the Good Guys List and Feedback Scores. Lots of guns frequently move from one member to another through this site. I can say that either one would be a fine LR rifle.

Last edited:
Seems like you're having trouble deciding which style to get. If you knew, you could buy one lightly used from a reputable Hide member at a good discount. You can search the Good Guys List and Feedback Scores. Lots of guns frequently move from one member to another through this site. I can say that either one would be a fine LR rifle.

Yep, that is the exact problem. I think I want the AW but am wondering if the AE will be good enough. OR will I kick myself after getting the AE and eventually get the AW.

I did see the AWs in the exchange and may go with one if I can figure out which I want.

Thanks

I don't know about the free shipping, since Mile High Shooting is only 20 minutes away I've never bothered to ask, but when I was in there last week I was told current AI models will remain on sale till they are sold out.

As for the OP I've been in the same boat trying to decide between the AE and AW. After talking to the helpful staff at Mile High and several people that have owned one or both the consensus seems to be the AE is an amazing value for the money if you can't afford or don't want to spend the money on a AW or AX. The accuracy is near identical but some people seem to believe that the AW/AX has a slight edge on cold bore accuracy (That seems to me a more subjective opinion so take it with a grain of salt). The AW is supposed to be slightly more rugged with the bonded action. The AE is no joke either and is used by multiple law enforcement agencies. I will tell you Cops are not known to baby equipment either... So, I'd say the AE is plenty rugged since the LE snipers that I know all love the AE's and have zero complaints.

The AW/AX really only have the advantage of double stack mags and a slightly faster barrel change since you don't have to remove the action from the chassis. Performance wise the all seem to be on the same level and everyone has told me you'd be happy with any of them.

You just have to decide if you'll be happy with the AE or will want to have a AW/AX for those extra bragging rights. Personally I've decided to wait till the 14th to see what AI's got coming out next before I decide to buy because if I'm dropping this much cash on a rifle I want to make sure I will be happy with what I get and if the new models are as awesome as I hope they are a little extra saving for the new model won't hurt. If I decide the new ones are not any better or worth the extra cash I will be picking up an AE before they are all gone.

If you can spend the cash for the AW I would buy the AX for the same price. Unlike the AW that gives you a few features over the AE the AX chassis gives you many features over both.

You can snag an AX from mile high right now for a little over $5K.

I have an AE...The only reason I wish I had an AW is so I can say I have an AW when someone asks me at the range. Other than that, all other differences aren't worth it to my wallet...

In my opinion, the difference between an AE and AW/AX to a civilian shooter is primarily that of some bragging rights (the AX also offers some ergonomic differences that may or may not be an improvement, depending upon the user and situation). From what I've seen from owning and shooting both, there is no practical difference from the perspective of performance on the target. Buy what you can afford, and sleep well knowing that it'll work superbly.

In my opinion, the difference between an AE and AW/AX to a civilian shooter is primarily that of some bragging rights (the AX also offers some ergonomic differences that may or may not be an improvement, depending upon the user and situation). From what I've seen from owning and shooting both, there is no practical difference from the perspective of performance on the target. Buy what you can afford, and sleep well knowing that it'll work superbly.

Well...lets be honest the AW mags are almost worth the price difference. There's a huge difference in running the doublestack vs the single stacks.

Well...lets be honest the AW mags are almost worth the price difference. There's a huge difference in running the doublestack vs the single stacks.

I'm pretty ignorant of the AI variants. Other than the "convenience" of the double-stack AW mags, what main advantages are you seeing with the AW over the AICS mags?

I know tone can be tough to gauge sometimes, I am NOT challenging you on there being "a huge difference", I'm genuinely curious; especially as I'm shopping for an action for a new build and there are AW variants available. I'd sort of discounted them as "not needed" since I already have a pile of AICS mags for other rifles.

I'd be interested to hear you expound on the AW advantage.

From Memory:

Shorter than a AICS type mag.
Can fit longer OAL length rounds into the AW vs the AICS mag without having to resort to accurate mags.
Can top off the mag while its inserted in the action.
Better feeding ability from every gun I've had one used in.

If your going with a AW on a aftermarket action. You need to make sure the smith understands you want the stock/rifle setup to run AW mags. Yes it does make a huge difference.

From Memory:

Shorter than a AICS type mag.
Can fit longer OAL length rounds into the AW vs the AICS mag without having to resort to accurate mags.
Can top off the mag while its inserted in the action.
Better feeding ability from every gun I've had one used in.

If your going with a AW on a aftermarket action. You need to make sure the smith understands you want the stock/rifle setup to run AW mags. Yes it does make a huge difference.

Good info, thank you.

I'm pretty ignorant of the AI variants. Other than the "convenience" of the double-stack AW mags, what main advantages are you seeing with the AW over the AICS mags?

I know tone can be tough to gauge sometimes, I am NOT challenging you on there being "a huge difference", I'm genuinely curious; especially as I'm shopping for an action for a new build and there are AW variants available. I'd sort of discounted them as "not needed" since I already have a pile of AICS mags for other rifles.

I'd be interested to hear you expound on the AW advantage.

I don't know about the OAL difference, and this makes no difference to me as I load all my ammo to standard mag length. The only real world difference for me is the the AW mags can be reloaded through the action. This is not a big deal to me either because by the time I empty a mag, I am either changing mags, or single feeding to stay in battery.

I've found it difficult to top-off my AX308 through the ejection port - it seems to require a lot of wiggling just to get the loaded round through the port and into the correct position.

But the extra OAL accommodation is pretty nice, as is the reduction in magazine projection below the bottom of the chassis.

All in all, I'm not sure it's worth the extra $3k.

I've found it difficult to top-off my AX308 through the ejection port - it seems to require a lot of wiggling just to get the loaded round through the port and into the correct position.

But the extra OAL accommodation is pretty nice, as is the reduction in magazine projection below the bottom of the chassis.

All in all, I'm not sure it's worth the extra $3k.

Initially its a pain in the ass...but once you learn how to do it.....it doesn't suck.

I don't know AW mags are that awesome :) And who pays close to MSRP anyway :)

Watch the exchange here, you find used AWs here all the time for new AE prices. Just be patient.

I was about ready to pull the trigger (as it were) on an AE and found a used AW with a new 20" Bartlein for the same price.

Now I have an AW :D (But I'd be just as happy with an AE really...).

I looked at it this way when considering a 1911 to a XD45 for carry... take the money saved and pour it into training.

You'll be a much better shooter all-in-all with an AE + $3k in ammo and training than with an AW you can't shoot.

You'll be a much better shooter all-in-all with an AE + $3k in ammo and training than with an AW you can't shoot.

Couldn't agree more. I traded the AW cost against an improved scope and a set of rings on the AE

I know the AW would have been worth the price but realised that it would be lost on me.

If your budget will only just stretch to an AW, I say take the AE

Ding dongs buying AE instead of AW. How’d that investment go for ya.

Anyone now should buy the cheap used ATXs floating around.

Insane to buy AE or pre 14 ax for what they bring when you can buy ATX goodness

EDBC2628-B293-4375-9AA3-281AF9228265.jpeg

Hey look more great knowledgable OG members that are now banned.

So we can replace them with ArfTards and glowfaggots