• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AW Chamber Issues?

Hijeffrey95

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2014
I have a AI AW chambered in 308 with the original barrel, one issue I have with it is it takes quite a bit of force in order to chamber a round. What I mean by this is that closing the action with a round requires what seems like a unnecessary around of force. Could this be a issue with the chamber being out of spec or the rounds Im using being too long? I tested this with both m80 ball and Federal Gold 175 SMK, both same issues.

I have a AI AW chambered in 308 with the original barrel, one issue I have with it is it takes quite a bit of force in order to chamber a round. What I mean by this is that closing the action with a round requires what seems like a unnecessary around of force. Could this be a issue with the chamber being out of spec or the rounds Im using being too long? I tested this with both m80 ball and Federal Gold 175 SMK, both same issues.
Is it a factory barrel from AI that came on the rifle?

If so give AI a call.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Reactions: ShtrRdy
I had the same problem with my AX when I first got it. I tracked the problem down to my brass. I was using brass that had been previously fired in another chamber. While it was within spec, the AI chamber is generally on the minimum side of the spec. Went to new brass and the problem vanished.

I know this is a old post but just wanted to update it. ejector looks fine, chamber looks free of anything. I cleaned the bolt face a bit along with the ejector and extractor. I used some snap caps and noticed the rims were getting beat up pretty bad. Perhaps its something wrong with the extractor? I tested it with the safety selector on fire and it was all smooth chambering a round until actually closing the action. I met the most resistance during that motion of turning the bolt down.

yeah I havent really taken it out of the safe for a while now, playing around with snapcaps again, it had the most resistance actually chambering a round, when the casehead is interacting with the extractor, after chambering the snapcap and reopening the action then closing it again with the snapcap seated in the bolt, it feels like its normal. Can I easily remove the extractor?

There was an issue on some bolts where the ejector spring was too long (Not specifically for the AW though) Fix was cut a few coils off or get a replacment from Mile High. Can you take a punch and push it completely flat? If not, try taking the ejector out and see what happens.

There was an issue on some bolts where the ejector spring was too long (Not specifically for the AW though) Fix was cut a few coils off or get a replacment from Mile High. Can you take a punch and push it completely flat? If not, try taking the ejector out and see what happens.
yeah I can push it down flat, I dont think the ejector is the issue

Buy some headspace gauges? Pay a gunsmith? Use up some minutes and call AI? Buy a black marker? Have you ever even shot this thing or just cycled rounds through it?

Fixing it going to involve spending some money.

Slightly off-topic…Have you ever seriously considered separating two-ply toilet paper onto two rolls?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Nik H