• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AW vs. AW decisions.....

remington patriot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2013
North Florida
I know its been covered before but this is the only place for AI real world advice. I have had AE's in the past but now I am wanting to step up to the AW AX. I want a .308 with a 20" barrel and I like features on both the AW and AX but I have never gotten behind an AX and I know no one around here has one. I kind of see the trend of precision rifles going to a pistol grip but on the flip side I kind of like the thumbhole stock. Is the AW going to be around much longer? I do like the adjustable trigger shoe on the AX and the rail but does the scope sit too high above the bore or is it a non issue. All of that being said I would appreciate any input of AI AW and AX owners and what you like about each model. Thanks in advance.

Accuracy International AW vs. AW decisions.....

Try them out. Those are not questions that people can help you with on the Internet past a certain (very basic) point.

I like the AX. But I bought an AW. Go figure..

Caveat: Have not shot the AX. Just shot an AX chassis rifle. I have shot my AW thousands of times.

Reasons in favor of the AW:

1) You get more foregrip space with the AW. The AX will have a smaller foregrip, and then it turns into the tubular rail. It is a comfortable diameter for grabbing, but I prefer having a Plain Jane foregrip myself. But, it's a personal thing.

2) You can swap skins between the thumbhole and pistol grip on the AW which you can't do on the AX from my understanding. I prefer the thumbhole personally after trying both. Other people swear by a pistol grip. The AW you can try both to see what is best. Each person will be different.

3) The AW mounts the scope lower. I like having a lower mount on rifles because the cheek weld is more stable, center of gravity is lower, and recoil impulse is sent straight back which makes it better controlled for me.

4) The AW has an integral spigot mount in the chassis. You won't need to buy a mounting plate to use a spigot bipod.

5) The AW has a non-adjustable trigger shoe. For a field rifle, I actually prefer the simplicity of a fixed trigger and knowing it can't move around on me by accident. Less things to go wrong. However, someone did contact AINA and they said the AX trigger assembly could fit the AW if you wanted to spend the bucks.

6) The AW has straight insert magazines and magazine well (The AX chassis I tried used more of a rock and lock motion with the new mag well).

7) I think the AW has a very distinct look that is a modern classic in the world of firearms. Again, totally subjective.

As Graham said, you'll just have to try both if you can. I tried the AX chassis rifle and decided I liked the AW more when the final tally was made. But, each person is different and again it was not a full AX rifle. The above though are features outside of chassis fit that you may want to consider.

Last edited:
As and AX owner who formerly owned an AE MK III, here are what I've observed concerning your points:

Caveat: Have not shot the AX. Just shot an AX chassis rifle. I have shot my AW thousands of times.

Reasons in favor of the AW:

1) You get more foregrip space with the AW. The AX will have a smaller foregrip, and then it turns into the tubular rail. It is a comfortable diameter for grabbing, but I prefer having a Plain Jane foregrip myself. But, it's a personal thing.

What do you mean you get more space with the AW? The AX has 360 degrees for 12" or more. There are much more "space" on the AX.

2) You can swap skins between the thumbhole and pistol grip on the AW which you can't do on the AX from my understanding. I prefer the thumbhole personally after trying both. Other people swear by a pistol grip. The AW you can try both to see what is best. Each person will be different.

The dimensions are virtually the same and feel very similar. Also, I believe AI is talking about offering back halves in thumb hole. I haven't tried it, but I'd imagine AI AW back halves would fit the AX.

3) The AW mounts the scope lower. I like having a lower mount on rifles because the cheek weld is more stable, center of gravity is lower, and recoil impulse is sent straight back which makes it better controlled for me.

The stability of the cheek weld is the same. Higher doesn't make it less stable. The stock is adjustable. You're right, the scope is higher and that can make it top heavy, but at the same time, the whole rifle is lower to the ground when using a bipod because the tube sits closer to the bore. Having owned both styles, the AX is more stable for the placement of the bipod.

4) The AW has an integral spigot mount in the chassis. You won't need to buy a mounting plate to use a spigot bipod.

There is no need for the spigot anymore. The AX comes with rails that can be placed where needed and mounted directly to the keymod tube. They have eliminated an item, thus offering a simpler solution to bipod mounting.

5) The AW has a non-adjustable trigger shoe. For a field rifle, I actually prefer the simplicity of a fixed trigger and knowing it can't move around on me by accident. Less things to go wrong. However, someone did contact AINA and they said the AX trigger assembly could fit the AW if you wanted to spend the bucks.

If you've used it, you'll see it isn't going to move around by accident. Its quite hard to move from the factory. But it does offer the ability to adjust it to the shooter for better trigger control. If something happens to your rifle that causes your trigger shoe to move, you've got bigger problems than the trigger.

6) The AW has straight insert magazines and magazine well (The AX chassis I tried used more of a rock and lock motion with the new mag well).

The AX has a cutaway that allows easier loading from prone. But, you can still shove them straight in.

7) I think the AW has a very distinct look that is a modern classic in the world of firearms. Again, totally subjective.

As Graham said, you'll just have to try both if you can. I tried the AX chassis rifle and decided I liked the AW more when the final tally was made. But, each person is different and again it was not a full AX rifle. The above though are features outside of chassis fit that you may want to consider.

I think were you to try an actual AX rifle and leave behind the spigot idea (one more thing to go wrong, right ;) ), you'd end up realizing the AX rifle is superior and more refined than the AW, especially considering you don't have to add hardware to use things like night vision, QD slings, Atlas bipods, etc.

Is changing the barrel out on the AX similar to the AW? I've got an AE and while its great to rebarrel myself you still have to take off the skins, scope, chassis etc. Thinking about trading up myself.

Is changing the barrel out on the AX similar to the AW? I've got an AE and while its great to rebarrel myself you still have to take off the skins, scope, chassis etc. Thinking about trading up myself.

The AW is easier than on the AX. The AX you have to remove the handguard.

Thanks Tyler. I was wondering about that. I see an AW in my future.

I've shot the AW and I'd say it's definitely a question of preference.

I prefer my AX to the thumb-hole...I also prefer the length a bit.

I'd say try both and see which one you end up enjoying.

I will say that the AW's ability to re-skin, does give it a leg up but, I wouldn't overlook the AX without giving it a go.

Is there any truth to AI replacing the AW with something else. I know the AX is the predecessor but I just can't imagine the AW going away due to it's popularity.

OK, a couple of things.

You don't have to remove the handguard on the AX to swap the barrel. I've done it loads of times without doing so. Just clamp the barrel in a vise, throw your action wrench in to break it loose, then spin it ccw 12 times, be careful keeping it straight and spin it another 3-4 times and pull the action/handguard away as one piece.

The scope need not mount higher than on the AW. Just take the rail off the top of the handguard. This may cause a problem if you're running a pvs-27, but then I'm guessing you're not too worried about the rifle being top-heavy. Even if so, why not use a short rail section? Misalignment? No idea, I don't have a pvs-27 to try.

The spigot is not antiquated IMO. I prefer the spigot bipod mount to the picatinny mount. I also prefer the rear skins on the AW for running a rear bag. I think the AX is the better platform, but the spigot and rear skins made it hard to choose the AX as my primary. I think I would give the AX the edge by 1%. It really is a close match.

I think I would give the AX the edge by 1%. It really is a close match.
I have never shot the AX, but first got an AI AW .308WIN, fell in love with it (thinking that AI could not top this rifle). I was very lucky getting one AW .338LM this summer, folding stock, from the last batch to be produced, thanks to excellent service from Sporting Services UK. The AX will take over in the .338LM, the AW will continue in .308 and various calibers. I spent a lot of time, reading and talking to Sporting Services and decided for another AW.

Everything with the AW is about perfect. Have had some test-shooters not fitting the stock, and personally I have spent a lot of time with the length of the stock (adjustable by replacing disks in size and count). It's a dream to own AIs - they will never be sold. I might get other rifles though... the TRG was a great contender before the AI AW.

The AW .308 is set up with a Harris bipod (lockable), Spuhr 28MOA, S&B 5-25x56 PMII, no monopod (using sandbag for rest). It will be rechambered to 6.5x47 eventually.

I've had both and currently have the AX. The only thing I like more about the AW is the ergonomics of the grip, other than that the AX is better in every way. Sure the forend grip area is shorter but it's longer than it needs to be and no shorter than what you're left with on the AW if you use a Harris bipod.

The bipod being closer to the barrel is a plus as is the ability to use an atlas without the spigot mount. I was never a fan of the spigot, there is always slop. You also don't need a special spigot adaptor so you can get an QD bipod be it an atlas with ADM mount or a Harris with a Larue and easily use it on multiple guns. So any way you slice it the bipod mounting is better with the AX.

My favorite part about the rifle is that they finally got rid of those stupid ass sling hooks, I hated those things. They make a ton of noise slapping around which is a problem for me since I hunt with all my rifle. Only being able to hook the sling on the sides was also a concern for me, the rifle would always can't when I sling up. With the AX I can have it how I want with a rail with flush cup on the left of the tube for carry and one on the bottom for slinging up. It works much better than the old design.

The scope being mounted higher above the barrel neither a problem nor concern. The mag well cut is also very nice so that the mags don't have to clear the bottom of the chassis when you drop them or insert a new one. The mags do slightly rotate in as there's a little lip on the front of the AX mag but it is a non issue.

Everything not regarding ergonomics is better on the AX, it's a fact. The ergonomics of the grip and forend area are going to be entirely personal preference. Like I said, I prefer the grip of the thumb hole stock more, not for the thumbhole itself because I don't use it but for the frontal grip area. Out of the box I greatly prefer the forend of the AX because it's not like holding a 2x4, that said a AW with the SOTECH skid plate rounding and cushioning it is super comfortable for offhand shots.

I would note the advantages of the system itself and get behind both. I obviously prefer the ergonomics of the AW style stocks but the significant advantages to the AX system greatly outweigh the grip I like a little less. I am waiting patiently to see if they come out with thumbhole rear skins though.