• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AW50 anyone?

corbon

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2006
I am really considering purchasing one in the near unforseen future. Can those w/ one give me their insights on the rifle, pro's and con's besides the obvious such as price and weight? Pics would be nice too. Thanks.

Re: Accuracy International AW50 anyone?

One small issue I had with mine was scope mounting - the picatinny rail is low and an integral part of the receiver. I wanted to mount a 30mm NXS scope (56mm objective), with the AI mount there is not a lot of objective bell cleraence - less than 1mm.

The normal options of a uso rail or Barrett rings did not apeal much - I needed a 20moa mount to work with the scope.

One company had what I needed - DTA, it is the 34mm mount with 30mm inserts that they use on there DTA rifles - not cheap but an ecxellent product.

Depending on scope choice you may have more options than I did, especially if you can use a 0 moa or 30 moa rings or mount - I just happened to need a 20 moa mount.

David.

WOW what a rifle I have the 308 and 338 but the 50 !!!!!

Too much for me and no place to UNLEASH it

I have had several, one with the S&B 3-12x50/.2mil for the .50, another with the Raptor 6x GenIII and the last with the NF 5.5-22x50/MLR/MIL/ZS. My wife has fired this .50, loved it and she has been around a few others, but this so far has been her favorite. Recoil is fine, accuracy is better than the others I compared to and owned, the M99, AMAC and TAC50's, just to name a few. Overall, great weapon, heavy, awesome magazine and trigger and all around fun to shoot with some long range availability. As long as you get the correct mount, you should not have any issues with the 56mm NF, but have to install the 30mm reduction rings, which I did and still run to date. Ball ammo capable of 1moa -3moa depending on the ammo, likes 750gr AMAX really likes it!, don't like any really long pointy bore riders or solids.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW what a rifle I have the 308 and 338 but the 50 !!!!!

Too much for me and no place to UNLEASH it

</div></div>

Bill where exactly are you using the .338LM in Illinois?

Fit, finish, accuracy. If you can look past the price tag it is the best .50

I sold 2 barretts to get my AW50. No regrets.

I always go to the car analogies. can a new ZR1 beat an Enzo... maybe. But it still wont be an Enzo!

You want an Enzo?

And if I'm not mistaken, in Illinois it would probably be the ISRA range.

I put a Nightforce NXS 8-32X56 scope on my Bohica 50 BMG. I purchased the Nightforce superlight ¾ tall rings and it fits just fine. The rings cost me $160 if I remember correctly but you don’t have to lap them or worry about them messing up the 30mm scope. For how much the Nightforce scopes cost I think it’s best to stick with their rings or a good set of Tally rings like they suggest. I’ve not had the opportunity to shoot my rifle at extended ranges yet but at 1 and 2 hundred yards it’s shooting under 1 MOA as it’s set up and also using government surplus 647 gr API bullets. I'm itching to streach it out for longer distances and to also use some of the new all brass 750 and 810 gr high BC bullets. The only advantage of the API bullets is I got them for .29 cents each. Wish I could get the brass ones for that price. By the way I picked up my scope and rings from one of our sponsers here Shryvers Gun Sales. Great to deal with.

bohica50bmgwith832x56ni.jpg

bohicawithnightforce832o.jpg

I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

I'm presuming that the AW50 doesn't have any options besides color like the other rifles in the AW family. What you see is what you get?

You can have any color you like as long as it's OD

Judged by accuracy, durability, portability, and shootability (the integral recoil reducer and new muzzle brake really work) the AW50 is the best shoulder fired 50BMG you can buy.

...and it better be, they are damn expensive
smile.gif
!

Check with Stacey, but last I inquired it was around $13000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can have any color you like as long as it's OD </div></div>

I saw on a site that lists "desert sand" as an option for the AW50. I don't know if this is factory or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check with Stacey, but last I inquired it was around $13000. </div></div>

This sounds about right. I wonder if AI is planning to make an AX version?

No sir, we only offer the AW-50F in OD Green at this time. Retail pricing on this rifle is well below $15k price point, you could build a package with that amount.

Oops, missed the last one: We do not have an update on the AW-50F to release yet, she is offered as she stands at this time. Maybe later, but there is enough on the plate to work with at the moment, he he.

AW50? Yes please, and yes we have them in stock ready for immediate delivery.

Feel free to give me a call or email with any questions. 303-709-1098 or [email protected].

Cheers,

Adam

I have a friend here who got one from Tac-Pro, I think the price turnkey was just short of 20k. He had em set it up with ammo, optics, etc etc. Not sure what the price was just for the rifle. He has most 50's that are on the market and the AW-50 is by far the most accurate.

I just picked one up and am dying to shoot it. Finally found the 4276 scope mount so by next weekend I should be burning some powder. Anyone have preferences on factory loaded amax's? I have some military ball stuff for now but it want take long before I want to see some accurate shooting. My other guns are all GAP so I have been spoiled to what it means for a gun to "shoot"

Just wondering what kind of speed are yo'all getting with M33 and AMAX rounds since the barrel is only 27"?

Wow, that's not too bad. I was expecting it would set you back quite a chunk for the rifle alone. The episode of Future Weapons on the AW-50 is as close as I'll ever get to one anyway.

Thanks for the info.

I just got this one from Adam and the friendly folks at MHSA:

aw50_cyclops.jpg

My USO SN3 with 34mm tube and 58mm objective sit quite low with a LaRue LT107 mount. You have to get a pretty funny cheek-weld when wearing ear protection. Now that I finally got the proper shim kit to use with my Cyclops brake, though, that won't be so much of a problem.

This arrangement is only temporary, however, as my long-term optic will be a USO SN9, which will sit atop a USO mount ... whenever USO gets around to making them for me. The mount is supposed to raise the optic up to a more reasonable height.

If possible pics of the suppresor off and a close up of teh mount.

TIA

Here's a close-up from the image above (not too good, sorry):

aac_brake.jpg

Here's a close-up of the mount with the wrong type of shim that AAC originally sent to me:

not_good.jpg

I have temporarily covered up the unfinished part of the barrel with red electrical tape.

Thank you very much! Just weighing out my options for my AW50. Please let us knwo how it shoots with teh suppresor. Oh and BTW... love the Liberator on your web site!

Finally got to shoot mine and I was impressed! Very little recoil and not bad on noise from behind the gun. My buddies who were about 1000yds away complained they got "rocked" everytime I pulled the trigger. I just had surplus ammo on this trip so I will try some amax's next time to see how it can reaaly shoot. Recoil was about the same as a 30-06 or less in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LFOD1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a photo with the silencer off:

aw50_aac_brake.jpg
</div></div>

That's a fantastic rifle. I'm working on getting one; I can't wait.

If it is possible, can you chrono the velocity of the 750 AMAX? Thinking about one, but hesitate with the 27" barrel.

Just for comparison, With my windrunner i get around 2700 fps with the Amax.

how hard are you pushing your AMAXs? I can only get about 2550's out of mine. Do you mind sharing your load data?