• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Accuracy International AX 308 - FIRST LOOK

Re: Accuracy International AX 308 - FIRST LOOK

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, that's for sure. It doesn't look good to me right now but I'll give it some time and I'm sure it will grow on me. I'm not much of a FDE guy anyhow.

I have handled them, and honestly they are well done... they suit the driver even better than the AICs, similar but different enough to make a difference in how you handle it.

It has support in the right places, you can adjust the grip, the rail system is well done, so for me it is a worthy improvement to the AI Line up.

Anyway you slice it, Accuracy International is the peak of the tactical rifle pyramid, everything else is really judged by how it stacks up to an AI. That isn't to be taken lightly, and thus you pay for that...

Hey guys check out these links, maybe you have seen them before.

In short, the best precision stuf seems to be the AI's, Surgeon's and Sako TRG's ( for the most part in my opinion ).

Watch the video on AI's, I dont think you can bounce a precision rifle off the ground like that and still hold a zero the way you can with an AI. AI's and TRG's remove the need for bedding wich is a major plus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQsI2WiIRpE

http://demigodllc.com/

http://www.surgeonrifles.com/homepage/

Speaking of crazy how about the price of the folding stock TRG's??? $3500 extra; just exactly what is it made of???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really don't get why the price is so blown-up in the US, UK dealer Sporting services is quoting £4136 GBP for AX .308's, or 6457 USD with the current exchange rate, and this is inclusive UK VAT 17.5%..?

http://www.sportingservices.co.uk/AX_Rifle_UPL_Price_List_July%202010.pdf

What am I missing? </div></div>

I come up with a conversion of $6464 USD, but then you have to add shipping on top of that, import licenses, and an additional 11% federal excise tax. The tax alone brings it up to about $7200 not counting any other costs associated, and that's just getting it across the Atlantic, let alone to the distributor and customer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Priest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was quoted $9,500 for an AW, 20" in .308 down here (Aussie dollar is now higher than USD, go figure..), so I guess this thing will probably be around the $12.5-13K mark. Hopefully not. </div></div>

Oh dude, that's insane money.. Talk about a double whammy of abuse of the market by AI and then the importers in Australia.

For that money I'd buy a second hand Barret Bravo .338 and hang it on my wall like a piece of art!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really don't get why the price is so blown-up in the US, UK dealer Sporting services is quoting £4136 GBP for AX .308's, or 6457 USD with the current exchange rate, and this is inclusive UK VAT 17.5%..?

http://www.sportingservices.co.uk/AX_Rifle_UPL_Price_List_July%202010.pdf

What am I missing? </div></div>

I come up with a conversion of $6464 USD, but then you have to add shipping on top of that, import licenses, and an additional 11% federal excise tax. The tax alone brings it up to about $7200 not counting any other costs associated, and that's just getting it across the Atlantic, let alone to the distributor and customer. </div></div>

When exported UK tax should be removed (-17.5%), and then the federal tax added, but regardless it should end up less expensive.

I'm not saying anyone should try to import themselves, I cannot think they'd sell to US (since there's US dealers already). But I cannot figure out why the prices are that much steeper in the US compared to Europe for the AI's..

I would assume that Sporting services UK is selling the AX rifles at a profit which would mean dealer cost landed in the UK would have to be lower than their selling price.

VAT is not collected on goods shipped directly to a non EU country, so assuming they list prices inclusive of VAT as normally required in the UK, the total cost equal that AI could invoice a foreign distributor for (before shipping and any documentation fees) would be a fair bit lower than the listed public price from their distributor in the UK.

I think probably in about a year or two once Production, supply and demand issues have been sorted out, the 308 AX models probably will be available for for something in the range of a $500 to $1000 premium at most over the same thing in an AW, which should give me enough time to save up to get one in .308 and/or .338

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speaking of crazy how about the price of the folding stock TRG's??? $3500 extra; just exactly what is it made of???</div></div>

Yeah, but you can pick up the folding stock separately for 2k, not like that is chump change or anything, but just saying.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aussie700P</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Priest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was quoted $9,500 for an AW, 20" in .308 down here (Aussie dollar is now higher than USD, go figure..), so I guess this thing will probably be around the $12.5-13K mark. Hopefully not. </div></div>

Oh dude, that's insane money.. Talk about a double whammy of abuse of the market by AI and then the importers in Australia.

For that money I'd buy a second hand Barret Bravo .338 and hang it on my wall like a piece of art! </div></div>

I think you could probably buy a Barrett .338 new for less than 9.5K. Seen them advertised around the 8ish mark

People will buy them regardless.
I met a guy at the mildura range who'd gotten a settlement and bought himself a new hilux, had it lifted, new tyres, new tray... but he'd forgot to ask for the diff to be lifted...

Also had a TRG-42 in .300 Winmag, all sako rails/rings/bipod... and a centre point scope. Wondered why my 3k Tikka T3 with bushnell scope was shooting groups better than his.
I suggested he used what he had left to buy a nightforce and get onto this website.

Point of my story is that stupid people with stupid amounts of money will buy stupid things at stupid prices. I'm not knocking the AX, i dont have anywhere near the experience in shooting to do that. Im sure it handles and shoots like a god, and due to that reputation people with the money will buy them at that price, and then proceed to put Leupold or Centre-Point scopes on them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: W54/XM-388</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I think probably in about a year or two once Production, supply and demand issues have been sorted out, the 308 AX models probably will be available for for something in the range of a $500 to $1000 premium at most over the same thing in an AW, which should give me enough time to save up to get one in .308 and/or .338</div></div>

As I previously pointed out, the AX 308 shown above is exactly $295 above the price of an identical AW 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: broke_again</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...looks like the sprayer for a power washer. Hmmm.... </div></div>LOL! Now <span style="text-decoration: underline">that's</span> funny. </div></div>

I was thinking that it muzzle break looked more like a coupler for an air hose or something. Looks like AI is trying to compete with the SABER-FORSST Modular Rifle Stock Chassis System from Ashbury International.

What I really look forward to now is a video from AI/AI USA with a rundown on the new stuff that comes with the AX, doesn't have to e anything fancy tacticool desert-inspired stuff, the old ones for the AW-lineup with barrel change etc were great IMO!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here is a '95 AIAW, I preformed their drop test, bouncing it off the butt pad a few times to show a buddy then this was the result

DSC_0064.JPG

DSC_0065.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG

AI fixed it so I have no complaints

</div></div>

Hi Adam,

That serial number looks familiar. The gun looks much better now!

Darin

65zbrc.jpg

Yikes, that is not a very nice looking piece of hardware. What's it shoot like is the important question? The price point is crazy, least for me. I'm sure it has nothing on the AE MKII or TRG 22 as far as accuracy goes. It's just another fancy tacti-cool weapon. I'm not knocking it, it's just not for me.

Lots of stupid in this thread.

Top of the stupid pyramid is anyone comparing the price or features to the AE.

Well, no shit. This isn't an AE platform, it's an AW action on a different chassis.

The AX doesn't offer any disadvantages vs the AW other than being "ugly" and costing $300 more.

I don't think there is anything stupid at all as the poster laid all three rifles AE, AX and TRG out in a comparison photo. They are all .308's as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: valmet76</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of stupid in this thread.

Top of the stupid pyramid is anyone comparing the price or features to the AE.

Well, no shit. This isn't an AE platform, it's an AW action on a different chassis.

The AX doesn't offer any disadvantages vs the AW other than being "ugly" and costing $300 more. </div></div>

I don't think people are "stupid" for delivering an opinion of a product. I also think $8K is a huge investment for a rifle. Most people put that down as a partial payment on a car, house, or that's a significant amount of rent. I think some narrow minded people that come into an opinion based thread about a high priced rifle, have every right to deliver that opinion without being called stupid.... It's what the manufacturer wants to hear, the consumers opinions!!!

Have a good day.

Agree with the previous poster regarding TRG-22 folding stock looking better and better. But for roughly double the price of fix stock..I dunno man. I might stick with fix stock.

LL,

Given the choice between a MRAD and an AX which would you prefer to own ? Sorry to put you on the spot but I don't know anyone else who has handled both.

Thx

Not the best lookin rifle I ever seen, but I wouldnt turn it down if they were giving me one. Performance wise how doese it stack up. Thats were the price difference might be. just my 2 cents.

In Aus we truly get stiffed, I was quoted over $11 for an AWM in 300win mag. I imported one from the UK for just over $7 inc freight and tax.Worth every penny. It's a fairly straightforward process,I applied for a permit to import in march and took delivery july 14th. There is a modest premium on AXs vs AWs,I will be importing an AX.The downside to private imports is probably no warranty,but my experience with warranty claims on an Anschutz leaves me questioning the value of warranties. I'd recommend importing to anybody in Oz,Graeme at Sporting services U.K. is very helpful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: natas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In Aus we truly get stiffed, I was quoted over $11 for an AWM in 300win mag. I imported one from the UK for just over $7 inc freight and tax.Worth every penny. It's a fairly straightforward process,I applied for a permit to import in march and took .... </div></div>

Good on you man. So true - we get torn a new one here. Thanks for the info!

I'd really like to handle one to check it out

I feel the real model to get in the AX series is the 338LM model and not the 308 AW action on a AX chassis .

The AX338 has a new larger action than any AI rifle in this cal made before , it has a 22mm bolt dia ( the AW/AWM/AWSM series is 20mm ) , the real up grade for me is the bigger action/bolt & 10rd double stack & feed mag , just like a 308 AW mag on steriods .

In 308 , I like the std AW , and its a shame its no longer being offered , as the AX308 is really not a totally new design fromt he ground up .

So in short , for me the AX is ALL about the 338LM version .

Later Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I feel the real model to get in the AX series is the 338LM model and not the 308 AW action on a AX chassis .

The AX338 has a new larger action than any AI rifle in this cal made before , it has a 22mm bolt dia ( the AW/AWM/AWSM series is 20mm ) , the real up grade for me is the bigger action/bolt & 10rd double stack & feed mag , just like a 308 AW mag on steriods .

In 308 , I like the std AW , and its a shame its no longer being offered , as the AX308 is really not a totally new design fromt he ground up .

So in short , for me the AX is ALL about the 338LM version .

Later Chris </div></div>

I was told by the UK distributer that the AW in .308 was still going to be produced alongside the .308 AX. The only difference being the stock so no big deal regarding production etc. I didn't ask about the .338 but can see that being discontinued for the AX version as you say the AX is all about the 338 version

My AX just showed up. Since I live in California I have to wait 10 days to pick it up. I got to handle it for awhile. I noticed A few things right off the bat that are different from the AW. First, the new target trigger group with improved trigger shoe. The push button cheek adjustment on the stock, bush button stock throw adjustment, the push button spike deployment and adjustment. The magwell has been modified for ease of insertion and removal of magazine. The rifle is lighter than the AW. I am not sure of the accuracey of my scale but I weighed it out at 13.3 lbs. I like the rail system alot on the forearm. I dry fired it from the standing position and it seemed to have an ergonomic design. It was very comfortable. When I cycled the bolt it had the same incredable smoothness as the AW's do. When I pick up the rifle and I mount the scope and bipod, I'll take a couple photos. I have AW's and AWM's in various caliburs. So far my experience with the AX is all good. I already have a 6.5mm CM 27" barrell for it and plan the calibur change. With any design modification there is always controversy.
If anybody remembers when they brought out the M-16 nobody liked the rifle or the way it looked, but now nobody seems to be able to live without one. I actually like the way the rifle looks. But then again I don't really care about how it looks, only the way it performs. If you look at this rifle, the Barret, and other manufacturers that are going after the military contracts, being able to switch caliburs and having the rail system on the forearm are going to be a prerequiste. At this point I am totally happy with my purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwo6.5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My AX just showed up. Since I live in California I have to wait 10 days to pick it up. I got to handle it for awhile. I noticed A few things right off the bat that are different from the AW. First, the new target trigger group with improved trigger shoe. The push button cheek adjustment on the stock, bush button stock throw adjustment, the push button spike deployment and adjustment. The magwell has been modified for ease of insertion and removal of magazine. The rifle is lighter than the AW. I am not sure of the accuracey of my scale but I weighed it out at 18 lbs. I like the rail system alot on the forearm. I dry fired it from the standing position and it seemed to have an ergonomic design. It was very comfortable. When I cycled the bolt it had the same incredable smoothness as the AW's do. When I pick up the rifle and I mount the scope and bipod, I'll take a couple photos. I have AW's and AWM's in various caliburs. So far my experience with the AX is all good. I already have a 6.5mm CM 27" barrell for it and plan the calibur change. With any design modification there is always controversy.
If anybody remembers when they brought out the M-16 nobody liked the rifle or the way it looked, but now nobody seems to be able to live without one. I actually like the way the rifle looks. But then again I don't really care about how it looks, only the way it performs. If you look at this rifle, the Barret, and other manufacturers that are going after the military contracts, being able to switch caliburs and having the rail system on the forearm are going to be a prerequiste. At this point I am totally happy with my purchase. </div></div>
Damn brother 8K though... It looks awesome but is it 8k worth of awesomeness? Not in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwo6.5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My AX just showed up. Since I live in California I have to wait 10 days to pick it up. I got to handle it for awhile. I noticed A few things right off the bat that are different from the AW. First, the new target trigger group with improved trigger shoe. The push button cheek adjustment on the stock, bush button stock throw adjustment, the push button spike deployment and adjustment. The magwell has been modified for ease of insertion and removal of magazine. The rifle is lighter than the AW. I am not sure of the accuracey of my scale but I weighed it out at 18 lbs. I like the rail system alot on the forearm. I dry fired it from the standing position and it seemed to have an ergonomic design. It was very comfortable. When I cycled the bolt it had the same incredable smoothness as the AW's do. When I pick up the rifle and I mount the scope and bipod, I'll take a couple photos. I have AW's and AWM's in various caliburs. So far my experience with the AX is all good. I already have a 6.5mm CM 27" barrell for it and plan the calibur change. With any design modification there is always controversy.
If anybody remembers when they brought out the M-16 nobody liked the rifle or the way it looked, but now nobody seems to be able to live without one. I actually like the way the rifle looks. But then again I don't really care about how it looks, only the way it performs. If you look at this rifle, the Barret, and other manufacturers that are going after the military contracts, being able to switch caliburs and having the rail system on the forearm are going to be a prerequiste. At this point I am totally happy with my purchase. </div></div>You ass! I was planning on being the first kid on the block with one of these, been talking to a dealer and all. I am envious. I love my AW.

^^^Sounds more reasonable, as 18 lbs is NOT lighter than an AW.

I don't know about that price or looks but who cares? It's a very user friendly platform. Much more so than the AW and I really like the AW. It felt lighter in the hands and had even better balance. Everything just seems to be in the right place and work the right way on this rifle.

I wonder if AI accept payment in kidneys... lol

<span style="font-style: italic">..winge, winge, winge.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwo6.5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I made a mistake on the weight, its actually 13.3 lbs.
</div></div>

I like the fact that you carried your scale with you, to wherever the gun is to weigh it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwo6.5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a couple of pix, range report to follow.
</div></div>
dude.. that is SHIT HOT!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: subgunr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwo6.5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I made a mistake on the weight, its actually 13.3 lbs.
</div></div>

I like the fact that you carried your scale with you, to wherever the gun is to weigh it.</div></div>

That's dedication..

That's a big ass muzzle brake for a 308. I figure the recoil is next to nothing.

Wow, that thing looks amazing. Will that stock ever be available?

I have been shooting one for about 3 weeks. I would say it would be down to what stock you like best. I happen to love the new stock. It just feels more comfortable in different positions. (to me) That being said I don't really care what stock I fall behind. I don't think I have ever griped about the AICS or AW stocks before and actually chose them more times than not over others anyhow. I think if they shipped these rifles without all the adjustable everything package it would sell twice as fast. That way the price would be less, and I have never seen the need to quickly adjust the cheek or butt. I would rather set it and forget about it. I guess it removed 2 minutes out my initial setup of the rifle. The mono-pod is actually really nice though. You can quickly adjust it and then fine tune. The new muzzle brake is very efficient, doesn't cover you in dust either.
I don't like that the threads are once again different. If your like me, you already have a rifle threaded 5/8x24 and might have a AI threaded something. Well now you have a 3/4x20 or 24 can't remember. This means you gotta purchase another suppressor or send the barrel off to get threaded. Good news is the AW mags do work.

If you were reading this wondering if the gun shoots. Yes it does, but I didn't and nobody else should expect otherwise. It will shoot with the best of them. Just like the AW and the AE. I don't know who set the trigger on this one, but they did a heck of a good job. I have never messed with any of them, but wow thanks to Stacey or Adam or whoever set this one up.

A lot of people were mad about the price, but I still don't see it being that bad. If this is your buy once cry once rifle and the rest will be spent on ammo or components. Then I say you just shot yourself straight to the top. (probably money saved) I promise you will not be disappointed. The problem is when you want another one.

I really don't know if anything I said was helpful,

Zach

2nqbe40.jpg

a31fuo.jpg

How long does the barrel have to be to clear that rail?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sotexhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been shooting one for about 3 weeks. I would say it would be down to what stock you like best. I happen to love the new stock. It just feels more comfortable in different positions. (to me) That being said I don't really care what stock I fall behind. I don't think I have ever griped about the AICS or AW stocks before and actually chose them more times than not over others anyhow. I think if they shipped these rifles without all the adjustable everything package it would sell twice as fast. That way the price would be less, and I have never seen the need to quickly adjust the cheek or butt. I would rather set it and forget about it. I guess it removed 2 minutes out my initial setup of the rifle. The mono-pod is actually really nice though. You can quickly adjust it and then fine tune. The new muzzle brake is very efficient, doesn't cover you in dust either.
I don't like that the threads are once again different. If your like me, you already have a rifle threaded 5/8x24 and might have a AI threaded something. Well now you have a 3/4x20 or 24 can't remember. This means you gotta purchase another suppressor or send the barrel off to get threaded. Good news is the AW mags do work.

If you were reading this wondering if the gun shoots. Yes it does, but I didn't and nobody else should expect otherwise. It will shoot with the best of them. Just like the AW and the AE. I don't know who set the trigger on this one, but they did a heck of a good job. I have never messed with any of them, but wow thanks to Stacey or Adam or whoever set this one up.

A lot of people were mad about the price, but I still don't see it being that bad. If this is your buy once cry once rifle and the rest will be spent on ammo or components. Then I say you just shot yourself straight to the top. (probably money saved) I promise you will not be disappointed. The problem is when you want another one.

I really don't know if anything I said was helpful,

Zach

2nqbe40.jpg

a31fuo.jpg

</div></div>

What does it weight as seen?

Cheers,
DM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwo6.5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a couple of pix, range report to follow.

DSCN5285.jpg

DSCN5288-1.jpg
</div></div>

looks great

Sotexhunter, glad to see you are enjoying the new AX, the brake is gtg huh! Take care and enjoy the new AX.