• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AXMC for first rifle - Am I crazy?

jim996

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 10, 2018
Hi Everyone

I'm new to this forum and wanted to ask opinions on the AXMC. I'm ex UK military (left the RAF in 2000) and I hadn't shot a full bore rifle for years until 2 months ago when a good friend invited me to shoot at his fullbore club. I had always been a decent shooter in the military and I was amazed that I could still shoot well after nearly an 18 year break. I had forgotten how much fun shooting is and shooing at gongs is great and reminded me of the falling steel target from the military ranges.... I plant to shoot F-class and have 4 ranges within 80 miles of home including a 1 mile range.

I'm applying for my licences as we have a long process in the UK so I have had about 3 months to research rifles and calibres and to cut a long story short I keep coming back to the AXMC in long action, initially with the .308 barrel and magazine converter. This is a serious investment for a first rifle but to give it some context my other hobby has been racing and track days on motorcycles for the last 15 years which can be absolutely eye wateringly expensive for a 3 day trip to some of the great track we have in Europe so I'm no stranger to expensive sports.

I've learned from motorcycles that whatever I buy I usually want to upgrade it within 12 months which gets very expensive. (I've owned 12 bikes in 15 years). I'm 44 now so my motorbiking years are limited (you don't crash so well after 50! Bones break a lot easier) so looking to take up a new hobby and long range shooting is a lot of fun.

My theory is that if I buy an AXMC it's a huge initial outlay but I will be buying a superb (and mechanically bulletproof) rifle that will allow me to upgrade over time with a 6.5. .300 or .338 barrel once my experience level improves and I obtain the licences for the bigger calibres. I also think that AI has such a great reputation that if I decided to pack in after a couple of years (I don't think this is likely) I would be able to sell up and get a lot of the cash back.

All of the guys at my rifle club seem to own at least 4-5 rifles so they have paid for 4 scopes/moderators etc so the AXMC seems to make a lot of sense to me??

In terms of optic I've already picked up a used Schmidt & Bender 5-25 x 56 PM2 in the sand colour, expensive but should last forever.....

Just wanted to hear opinions from more experienced shooters who are a lot further down the road with this sport than I am,

Last edited:
Hi Jim welcome!
even in Italy we say #buyoncecryonce, and you can't go wrong with AI, see by yourself the tons of positive feedbacks that platform has over here. Among tactical multicaliber platforms the pinnacles are AX MC, DT (SR and HTI), and Barrett MRADs. You'll find fans and haters all over the place, this is the Internet...of course you can go custom as well if you want to build it tailor made and then there are tons of chassis, actions, bells and whistles you can throw your money at. I went with the MRAD, happy with it but being so hard to find conversions in this country I am reconsidering the choice in favour of a DT or maybe a custom rig with an AI chassis. In terms of calibers you are certainly not a novice so you can maybe skip the .308 phase and jump on the 6.5 family wagon (6.5 creed, 6.5x47 L, 260 rem and so on) being flatter and essentially recoil-free. If you are eager to run into the big pills arena, I am drooling at .300 Norma Magnum and .375 Chey tac. Either way, don't forget that barrels are consumables even more with all those high per calibers. In the end, handloading is IMHO a significant part of the fun. And now, teh Americans are waking up so they will give you more than my two cents. Happy shooting!

Reactions: jim996
If you can afford to buy an AXMC then do it.

What you will have to consider is the weight if you are intending to shoot F-class. There is a limit and you will almost certainly be over.

There are 3 what would describe as field firing complex’s in the U.K. They cater for gong shooting. As you are used to travelling for the tracks getting to these venues will be easy and well worth visiting for the variety over standard ranges.

You may also want to check out ukvarminting.com

Don’t let the name put you off. The site has evolved to be the premier forum for precision rifle enthusiasts covering a range of disciplines.

Reactions: kansas and jim996
Thanks. I will check out ukvarminting.com. I didn't know there is a weight limit for F-Class. While I'm not considering competing initially that might be an issue down the tracks.

In terms of calibre, I agree the 6.5 is probably the calibre to have at the moment and I had also considered the Tikka Tac 3 a1 in 6.5 Creedmore. I guess my thinking is that I easily add a Lothar Walther 6.5 creed barrel to the AXMC for about £650 at a later date. I think .308 is a good place to start though, it will recoil enough to force me to learn decent form.

The other option I'm considering is the AX.308 short action. Marginally cheaper and wouldn't let me go for the long action calibres but I could still easily add the 6.5 or 6mm barrels to it.......

"+Unlike the Open Class rifle, which may weigh a massive 22lbs, (10kg.) the FTR rifle has a maximum weight of 18lbs (8.25kg) and this includes the bi-pod and scope.

AXMC 6.8kg. Schmidt and bender Scope 1.1 kg........+mounts....

Looks like the bipod would have to be made out carbon fibre..............:)

Jim,
I'm very familiar with the shooting scene in the UK. I've sold rifles there for years. I still have a lot of friends that I keep in touch with and occasionally go over to see them and work in a shoot at Diggle. The cost to shoot there is astronomically higher there than in the US. That would be a consideration as well as getting approval for the larger calibers. The big bores may sound inviting but .....
If you are serious about F-class you may want a dedicated rifle. One built with accuracy in mind. An AI is not a comp gun. I have a friend there who I've tutored over the last two decades. Great guy. Does great work and can talk you through this. Give him a call.
pete@walkerrifles.co.uk. Phone: 011-44-1422-248-241.

I've had an AXMC for a little over a year now and it's by far my favorite bolt gun I've ever owned. Outside of some semi autos I don't see any need for other bolt rifles and I have others including other AI's but rarely ever shoot them. My AXMC gets all the love generally in 6.5 Creed or 300WM.

As to weight, mine is about 17.5lbs with S&B 5-25 and bipod which would be under the F-class weight.

I'd absolutely recommend getting one and running it. You'll have one rifle to become proficient with and it will remain the same across all calibers.

6I6JI4s.jpg

Thanks everyone. I think the F-Class is more of an aspiration at this stage. It looks like it's dominated by custom made rifles. I'm just trying to avoid having to buy 4 different rifles like everyone I know who shoots has done.

Dave Tooley. Appreciate your advice on the bigger calibres as well. I plan to shoot .308 and 6.5 Creed for a couple of years before considering .300 win mag. I've shot up to .270 win mag and I found the bigger calibre takes a lot more skill to manage the recoil and beats you up quite quickly. Again that's why I like the idea of a quick changing barrel. Shoot much cheaper .308 or 6.5 for most of the day but then put the bigger barrel in for a limited number of rounds when you feel like it.

If you aren’t concerned with winning F class and just enjoy shooting it with an AX, it’s fine. If you’re trying to compete in any sport at an elite level you have to have the appropriate equipment. An AXMC will serve you fine as a long range hunter, if you can hack the weight and as a PRS rifle. Single loading can cause hang ups with the larger tenon with a SA caliber, as the center of the bore is slightly higher than the feed ramps in the SA. This was only a problem with one of my barrels

If I had to choose one rifle to rule the all for ME, I keep my AXMC. It’s a great all around platform and it serves me well with how I employ it. If I were going to shoot F Class to be competitive, I would buy a purpose made F class rig by Dave Tooley or another world class smith.

My $.02

I plan to shoot .308 and 6.5 Creed for a couple of years before considering .300 win mag. I've shot up to .270 win mag and I found the bigger calibre takes a lot more skill to manage the recoil and beats you up quite quickly.

I shoot my 300WM barrel with 190gr FGMM (2970fps avg) and my loads of 215gr Berger Hybrids and with a brake or can it's a gentle giant.

I just shot a 2 day PRS match with it and it didn't beat me up at all and surprisingly the barricade stages where my strongest stages cleaning one and almost cleaning the others. All of the prone stages which should have been my strongest stages I screwed up one thing or another.

I'd say there is nothing wrong with getting the AXMC rifle as your first rifle if you can swing it.
Well taken care of, it would last you a lifetime & have great residual value.
Being able to swap out the barrels simply is one of the best features of that system.

Later on if you need to get the weight down to make the 8.25 kilogramme limit, you could go with one of the carbon fibre wrapped barrels which would save you about 1kg of weight & you could also remove the handguard and make a different bipod mount which would save you some weight.
In addition, you could swap for titanium or similar ultra lightweight scope mount rings, Titanium moderator and such.
A bit of creative work and swapping parts could easily get you a 2 to 3 kilo reduction in weight.

You may in the future get other rifles, but a good AXMC is hard to go wrong with as a starting platform.
I'd suggest you go for it.

Buy the best and cry only once.
You really want this rifle and you can raise the money so why settle for less?
Go for it and never look back.
It is a fantastic rifle system and you will not be sorry.
I got my AXMC 8 days ago and just love it.

Last edited:
Buy the best and cry only once.
You really want this rifle and you can raise the money so why settle for less?
Go for it and never look back.
It is a fantastic rifle system and you will not be sory.
I got my AXMC 8 days ago and just love it.

Nothing wrong with starting there. The AW was my first LR starter gun many years ago, and I don't regret it. Many rifles have come and gone in my safe since that time, but the AW remains today.

Another posit I've learning on the AI-you can never blame the rifle. It will always be your fault if you miss. Good luck, and welcome.

Thanks guys....think I was just looking for a bit of moral support. I'm also conscious of being that new guy with "All the gear and no idea" at the range......like you say if I can't hit a barn door with it then it's my fault and not the rifle.......

I like the "Buy once cry once" saying......one of my favourites though has always been "Buy it cheap, buy it twice"

The AX is very nice. Have you considered the Accuracy International AT? You can switch the barrels on it.

I also really like the Desert Tech SRS or HTI guns. Both you can within a minute switch out the barrel and action and shoot a different caliber. And they guarantee a 1/2 MOA accuracy. FYI

First of all, welcome to the Hide.

I really can't say it any better than the others. I have an AI AT. I am left handed and shot semi-auto AR platforms for a long while but never went the bolt route until I got the long range bug. I thought for a while about buying something this expensive as a first bolt rifle. It was a big investment and I had little to no experience with bolt guns. Every time I thought I made the decision on something cheaper or a more expensive custom, I kept coming back to the AI.

At then end of the day I bought the AI AT.

The only bad thing about my decision that I regret to some degree is that I will never buy another rifle

Reactions: Basher
I would not buy a 18ibs rifle as my first. If you do you're stuck to prone shooting with bipod support.
Buy a 11ibs max weight rifle so it is possible to practice unsupported position shooting. There's more to shooting than zeroing a rifle repeatedly at 1000yds over bipods.. (ducking from incoming :) )

Yeah, get it, it’ll be the lazt bolt rifle you NEED. Shot an AT last week and will buy one when I can.

Sucks about y’all’s laws though. But yeah, get one if you can swing it.

Hi, I've looked at the Desert Techs but I'm not a huge fan of the bullpup, it's also very expensive in the UK because it's imported. The AI's have a huge reputation within the UK military so I realise I'm kind of blinkered to buy British :)

I've looked at the AT as well and it's a great gun but the folding stock model takes the price up reasonably close to the AX308 anyway. The attraction of the AXMC is the ability to grow into the big calibres at a later date I guess...

Thanks guys....think I was just looking for a bit of moral support. I'm also conscious of being that new guy with "All the gear and no idea" at the range......like you say if I can't hit a barn door with it then it's my fault and not the rifle.......

I like the "Buy once cry once" saying......one of my favourites though has always been "Buy it cheap, buy it twice"
At the same time, it makes learning easier when you know your equipment will perform. I think the platform is great, but as you already pointed out, you will stick to 308 or 6.5 for a few years. Especially with 308, you will learn to shoot better that way, rather than playing with the high performance cartridges that the gun can handle. This will make you a guy who is serious about improving, and simply bought a bomb proof rig to do it with.

Reactions: Basher
The AX is very nice. Have you considered the Accuracy International AT? You can switch the barrels on it.

He's looking at the AXMC to shoot magnum rounds too, you can't do that with an AT.

I would not buy a 18ibs rifle as my first. If you do you're stuck to prone shooting with bipod support.
Buy a 11ibs max weight rifle so it is possible to practice unsupported position shooting. There's more to shooting than zeroing a rifle repeatedly at 1000yds over bipods.. (ducking from incoming :) )

Uhhh what?

You do realize that an AXMC is a sniper rifle right? It's carried by military snipers miles and miles and shot in all sorts of positions. It's not built with prone shooting in mind. Lots of people including myself shoot PRS matches with them where ideally less than half of the stages are shot prone, and those who shoot other rifles have them weighted the same or almost as much.

A lighter rifle beats you up and moves you around more, it's even worse in none prone positions. Weight within reason is your friend when it comes to precision and seeing as I'm far from a bodybuilder I'd say that an AI is well within reason..

Regardless of cash, is one type of bike best suited for every race track? The same will hold true for the AXMC.

No doubt I love AI's, but the master of every situation it is not. As long as you're realistic about what it is the bullet proof form and function is sure to please.

All of the above has been stated by others in one form or another... the one unique piece of advice I can offer not mentioned so far is that the interests of most shooters change many times over the course of time. What fits your needs today may not even be close to your desires a few years from now. It's a journey to be experienced and enjoyed. As a new shooter don't get too caught up planning for the long term or resale value as it's near impossible to know where this hobby will take you in the future. Nor can you predict the effect future products may have on resale values. Values can change as quickly as over night (example: AI AT killed short action AW values almost instantly). Instead focus on fulfilling your current needs as perfectly as possible and enjoy the journey.

Reactions: jim996 and Basher
First off, based on your username and your penchant for sportbikes, I assume you're a bit of a Ducatisti, yes? The 996 was one of the last "affordable" Ducs before all the overly complex electronics took over that actually looked good! Bravo on your good taste, sir!

Second, welcome to the 'Hide! :)

Third, get the AI. I stumbled upon an AE MKII earlier this year, and that was a mistake! I thought that would be it, but managed to convince myself an AT would be worthwhile, so I upgraded. An AXMC would be awesome, but THAT one I can't quite justify, haha!

But I can assure you that my AT is here to stay. As others mentioned, this could be my last rifle for a very long time. I have a custom (Bighorn TL2 switch barrel) that I'm wrapping up slowly, but aside from being a backup and hunting rig, the AT will likely get the most use from me. It's heavy in conparison, true, but I'm a bulky guy, and the added weight of the AT is incentive to work out some. ;) They're fantastically amazing rifles!

While you MAY be that guy" who has all the gear and little skill, that's not a bad thing as long as you bought top-notch gear with the intent to grow into it. Acknowledging your lack of experience while making steps to improve is the hallmark of all who aspire to greatness. Having the best gear to help you on your way is just icing on the cake! ;)

Uhhh what?

You do realize that an AXMC is a sniper rifle right? It's carried by military snipers miles and miles and shot in all sorts of positions. It's not built with prone shooting in mind. Lots of people including myself shoot PRS matches with them where ideally less than half of the stages are shot prone, and those who shoot other rifles have them weighted the same or almost as much.

A lighter rifle beats you up and moves you around more, it's even worse in none prone positions. Weight within reason is your friend when it comes to precision and seeing as I'm far from a bodybuilder I'd say that an AI is well within reason..

You can't seriously recomend a 18ibs rifle to a beginner? There is no way he's going to learn proper unsupported position shooting and recoil handling. First rifle shoud be the best rifle to learn basic shooting skills.

You can't seriously recomend a 18ibs rifle to a beginner? There is no way he's going to learn proper unsupported position shooting and recoil handling. First rifle shoud be the best rifle to learn basic shooting skills.

For the stated purpose, the AXMC is perfect. It does not sound like he will be planning to need positional shooting much & he is in a country where the types of matches he would go to would be well suited by a very accurate heavy chassis rifle.

There is no reason you have to learn on some different system just because somebody thinks that type of shooting is "traditional", the question is what type of matches will you be into. No need to have to start off with heavy recoil if you don't have to, as it can start you down counterproductive habits that you have to overcome, rather than working up to a comfort level.

The advantage to getting a well known top of the line and very stable platform is it will let him focus on perfecting his skill for that type of shooting knowing that he never has to second guess his equipment & he can quickly build up the confidence he needs.

Then if he decides he wants to get into something specifically positional or go stalking through the woods on the continent etc., he can get a second rifle tailored to that need, but more than likely his AXMC could easily last him his entire lifetime as his primary go to rifle & then other things come and go.

Reactions: SLG

He’s former military, it’s not like this is the first rifle he’s ever shouldered.

People join the military with zero firearm experience, go through basic with a carbine, and then go through sniper school shooting these rifles.

So tell me again why he can’t hone his skills on an AXMC...

Well I guess the 8 years I spent in the UK military carrying an assault rifle 20 miles a day and then using it in live fire exercises and FIBUA training (Fighting in Built Up Areas) should take care of some of that.......;-)

I know what you are saying but I'm probably the only guy at my club who ever attempts to shoot unsupported, everyone else seems welded to their bi-pods....:) The weight of the AX is significant but I'm a big guy and I imagine it will be very well balanced. The UK Light Support Weapon I regularly carried and trained with weighed 15-16 lbs. Yes I'm a lot older now but I only have to stand and shoot it....not lug it halfway across a county first....

Weight isn't necessarily a bad thing. It limits how long you can hold a given position, but weight does help keep things steady up to the point of fatigue.

I don't mind the AX weight for positional work. This coming from a guy who actually hated that ugly (well to me) palm grip at the base of the hand guard when I first saw an AX. I still remember thinking how dumb it looked until I got to hold one and realized that is placed at the perfect balance point. Which brings your support hand in nice and tight for bone-bone support; the key to positional shooting imo... well without pillows.

jim996: A great way to test the dynamics and shootability of a rifle is to shot McQueen standing with rifle at the hip shotgun style :) 4 out of 10 on target is a very good score.

Just an update on this. Still waiting for my licences to come back (good old UK!) but should be ready to order the rifle within the next couple of weeks.....

I'm looking more and more at the AX 308 vs the AXMC as most of the time I will just be shooting short action calibres.......has anyone out there got experience of both rifles? I will have to factory order the AXMC long action with the .308 barrel so I'm looking at a potential 22 week wait for that rifle or I can buy am AX.308 from stock......

Just getting impatient I guess but it would be good to hear from people who have made similar decisions.....

I’m trading my AIAT for an AXMC today. I’ve been where you are. Be patient. The MC will be worth the wait. For your shooting I would defiantly agree with you getting an MC if you can afford it. It is heavier but to me not overly so. I’m not a big guy(5’11 170lb) and I’ve just learned to work with it. One benefit that has hardly been touched is the rifle itself. It just works. Period. I haven’t shot tons of matches but I’ve shot enough to see guys custom rifles go down. It sucks. I’ve had a lot of sand and dust and grit in my AT and it’s always worked.

I would buy the MC now and have a ball shooting it. If you decide you want to seriously want to compete in F class then you will likely want a purpose built rifle, but that’s true regardless of what you buy now.

Jim,
Cross the Alps if you want to consider UK bureaucracy a piece of cake... anyway I went for a custom based on a Defiance locally customized action, a Bartlein heavy Palma fluted 25” barrel in 6.5 cm on top of an AI AICS chassis, with a Timney CE trigger. It will take another 4 to 5 months before delivery but since the gunsmith working on it have seen several customers coming back from Bisley with medals at their neck I trust it will be a shooter.

I'd suggest waiting for the AXMC as while the standard AX is excellent, it means you are limited to just the short action cartridges.
Now if you have no plans to ever shoot anything of the longer action cartridges like the 6.5-284 or such, then the AX would be great, but since you might decide to want to get into some of the bigger stuff, it's probably worth the wait.

I'm looking more and more at the AX 308 vs the AXMC as most of the time I will just be shooting short action calibres.......has anyone out there got experience of both rifles? I will have to factory order the AXMC long action with the .308 barrel so I'm looking at a potential 22 week wait for that rifle or I can buy am AX.308 from stock......

I've had two 2014+ AX's and currently have the AXMC. I'd absolutely get the AXMC. I shoot short action stuff most of the time too but with the AXMC I can shoot both, with the AX you couldn't shoot the long actions ever and are married to only short action standard bolt face rounds. With AXMC you can shoot SA, LA, and SA magnum rounds from the same gun.

They're not very well set up for F class. If that's your focus, you'd be better off going with a single shot, 30" barrel, match trigger, appropriate stock, etc. I've seen people shoot them at F class matches, but they usually come back later with a different rile, or not at all.

Edit: Same goes for the S&B scope. You'd be better off with a $400 Sightron for F class.

Last edited:
They're not very well set up for F class. If that's your focus, you'd be better off going with a single shot, 30" barrel, match trigger, appropriate stock, etc. I've seen people shoot them at F class matches, but they usually come back later with a different rile, or not at all.

Quite true, AI butt stocks just are not designed to ride the rear bags favored for F-class.

Now swapping the AT/AX into the MPA chassis with it's optional bag rider could make for a solid midrange FTR rig.

Hi Everyone

I'm new to this forum and wanted to ask opinions on the AXMC. I'm ex UK military (left the RAF in 2000) and I hadn't shot a full bore rifle for years until 2 months ago when a good friend invited me to shoot at his fullbore club. I had always been a decent shooter in the military and I was amazed that I could still shoot well after nearly an 18 year break. I had forgotten how much fun shooting is and shooing at gongs is great and reminded me of the falling steel target from the military ranges.... I plant to shoot F-class and have 4 ranges within 80 miles of home including a 1 mile range.

I'm applying for my licences as we have a long process in the UK so I have had about 3 months to research rifles and calibres and to cut a long story short I keep coming back to the AXMC in long action, initially with the .308 barrel and magazine converter. This is a serious investment for a first rifle but to give it some context my other hobby has been racing and track days on motorcycles for the last 15 years which can be absolutely eye wateringly expensive for a 3 day trip to some of the great track we have in Europe so I'm no stranger to expensive sports.

I've learned from motorcycles that whatever I buy I usually want to upgrade it within 12 months which gets very expensive. (I've owned 12 bikes in 15 years). I'm 44 now so my motorbiking years are limited (you don't crash so well after 50! Bones break a lot easier) so looking to take up a new hobby and long range shooting is a lot of fun.

My theory is that if I buy an AXMC it's a huge initial outlay but I will be buying a superb (and mechanically bulletproof) rifle that will allow me to upgrade over time with a 6.5. .300 or .338 barrel once my experience level improves and I obtain the licences for the bigger calibres. I also think that AI has such a great reputation that if I decided to pack in after a couple of years (I don't think this is likely) I would be able to sell up and get a lot of the cash back.

All of the guys at my rifle club seem to own at least 4-5 rifles so they have paid for 4 scopes/moderators etc so the AXMC seems to make a lot of sense to me??

In terms of optic I've already picked up a used Schmidt & Bender 5-25 x 56 PM2 in the sand colour, expensive but should last forever.....

Just wanted to hear opinions from more experienced shooters who are a lot further down the road with this sport than I am,

The AXMC is awesome, but don’t count on being able to shoot 6.5CM with it without piercing primers. I’m about to buy a small pin AT just to shoot 6.5.

The AXMC is awesome, but don’t count on being able to shoot 6.5CM with it without piercing primers. I’m about to buy a small pin AT just to shoot 6.5.

I actually have been shooting Prime ammo with mine and I haven’t pierced any. I think it just depends on the primer being used.

Reactions: 300NIMP

I'm over 800 rounds on my 6.5 Creed AXMC barrel and haven't popped a single one even some loads I tried pushing pressure a bit with virgin brass growing .005". I've shot almost 500 rounds of factory Hornady ELD ammo, some prime, some Federal Gold Medal, and loads on Starline large and small primer brass, Lapua small primer, and Hornady. All with H4350, not a single pierced primer.

I also ran a 243 barrel until it started slowing down around 1800 rounds with pretty stiff loads of H4350 and didn't pierce any. I got a replacement and only put 40 rounds or so through it but also no issues.

Reactions: cdq8047

True story. There are a lot of AXMC's that are fine, but it's no guarantee... just call Mile high.

It's not just an AI thing... it's all manufacturers with large firing pins that are subject to small primer issues. Even if it isn't an issue at first does not mean that it won't become an issue down the road as things wear. Bushing them is the only sure fire way to avoid issues.

You have a tight firing pin hole in your bolt, then, which is by no means the rule.

I hear of people piercing primers but I've owned close to a dozen AI's, all of which have been large firing pins starting as early as AE MKI's and AW's and I've shot a ton of 243 and 26, and a good bit of 6.5 Creedmoor and 6 Creedmoor and have never had an issue from any rifle. On one occasion I blew some primers clean out of the cases shooting 308 in the rain with a very stiff load, but never a pierced one.

Maybe I've just gotten that lucky with rifles and barrels though.

I hear of people piercing primers but I've owned close to a dozen AI's, all of which have been large firing pins starting as early as AE MKI's and AW's and I've shot a ton of 243 and 26, and a good bit of 6.5 Creedmoor and 6 Creedmoor and have never had an issue from any rifle. On one occasion I blew some primers clean out of the cases shooting 308 in the rain with a very stiff load, but never a pierced one.

Maybe you are just that lucky... Though, only .005 growth on virgin brass in AI's military(read as loose) chambers is not what I consider much growth from a hot load. YMMV

I'm just a bit confused what distinction you draw between a pierced vs blown primer... Both are simply signs of excessive primer flow, no?

Reactions: QuietShootr

I would say you have. If it weren’t an issue, AI wouldn’t have come out with SFP short action bolts. Why they haven’t done it for the owners of their flagship rifle is a mystery to me.

Maybe you are just that lucky... Though, only .005 growth on virgin brass in AI's military(read as loose) chambers is not what I consider much growth from a hot load. YMMV

I'm just a bit confused what distinction you draw between a pierced vs blown primer... Both are simply signs of excessive primer flow, no?

I actually don't find AI's chambers on the AINA barrels to be loose at all. Mine have all bin right at or just over SAMMI minimum when installed. I consider that damn good for a barrel that's not fitted to that rifle.

A pierced primer is when the firing pin smokes a hole through the primer, a blown primer is when you eject the round and there is no longer a primer in the case and is either in your action or magazine. That happened on one occasion in the rain with an already very hot load. There's no rifle or chamber out there that wouldn't have had that happen, had nothing to do with whether the pin was large or small.

I would say you have. If it weren’t an issue, AI wouldn’t have come out with SFP short action bolts. Why they haven’t done it for the owners of their flagship rifle is a mystery to me.

Actually apparently they do now. An Australian dealer Deltac says for the long action axmc it’s part number 28340bl or 28340pb and he also said the call mike at mile high and he can help out.

Reactions: QuietShootr