• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International Biathlon Sling??? Anyone using one?

308Shooter1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
What are your opinions. Does it have a cuff in the sling? My AIAE is 16-18lbs, and should I take it into the woods I think this would be a better carrying option than a standard sling. Or am I better off going with a standard sling, like a Tab?

Neat thing about the biathlon sling is that you can use both hands/arms when skiing, rifle slung near center of back.

But you may want to put a rubber over the barrel to keep the snow/ice out of it.

AI biathlon sling has no cuff. TAB biathlon sling has cuff but is a bulkier, more padded rig - I have both.

Problem is, for me, that using any biathlon sling interferes with wearing a ruck - you need to wear the ruck over the slung rifle, which is a PITA. I shot the SHC this year using the biathlon sling with a TYR COMA harness, which is clear in the spine area, so the rifle could be slung and pouches and pockets could be used on the sides, but this was also a PITA - hard to get the rifle on and off with a bunch of pouches L & R.....

My current setup is a regular TAB sling with cuff, rifle slung diagonally accross the chest, which is good with a ruck.

Last edited:
I have skied and rock climbed with a AI Biathlon sling on an AIAW. It will dig holes in your back not having anything between you and the rifle. With a heavy pack over the rifle the situation worsens. I now use an Eberlestock G4 Operator pack and it works really well. A 2.0 folding stock on your AW or AX will make it a better balanced, tighter load. Not a quick draw arrangement with the butt cover on the rifle scabbard section, but gives the weapon good protection during rough movement. Cover keeps the shit off your rifle for the most part. The TAB Elite Biathlon Sling (EBS) is one well made piece of gear. Twice the price of an AI Biathlon Sling but a whole lot better padding and choice of fasteners. I also really like the Blue Force Gear slings made by Larry Vickers. He made a special run of AOR1 slings for the Navy with "the works", to include QR, metal fasteners, super adjustable, heavy padding. They were a limited production item, signed and numbered. Great sling if you can find one.

Last edited:
I tested the TAB elite biathlon sling during a mountain hunt in oktober, with an 18lbs heavy PGM UR - and I would think the padding on the sling makes a difference! Walked up and down the hills carrying the rifle 9 hours on the back. I use a windjacket with a large pocket in front storing food, ammo and coffee:)

I bought the biathlon sling for a colorado hunt this year it worked great.Rifle weighs 13 1/2 pounds worth every pennie.