• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Accuracy International bipod.....worth the coin?

G

I've been using one of my Harris (S) models on my AI AWP for 6 months now. I've never been the biggest fan of this setup, but i'm not much of a fan of spending $300 on a bipod.

Is it worth it?

Re: Accuracy International bipod.....worth the coin?

I don't really think the AI Bipod is worth the coin, but the Atlas bipod with an AI spike is. I've sold off my AI bipods and gone with the Atlas, the Atlases are just awesome.

Just laid down some coin for the Atlas with spigot myself. Hope to have it in a couple of days.

IMG_0021.jpg

I have to concur with the Atlas fans

I have the AI bipod and it is built like tank. If I do it agian I will get a Atlas!!!

Just spent $320 on one and you all have me second guessing myself..cant even try it out until I get my new build from GA in a couple of weeks..Mike

Forget the AI bipod and get an Atlas !

PP out

All right, it's a resounding plus for the Atlas I've eyed them on more than a few occasions and my harris is on another rifle. I may have to put in an order and pretty up the old AI.

I have never used an Atlas but I do like the harris much better than the AI bipods. Have to load them too much to make work correctly. Besure to get spiked feet.

My biggest dislike for the AI bipod is that the legs like to extend with the slightest jostle.

It's still a great bipod but I'm tempted to swap out for an Atlas myself.

just got an atlas mounted up and they are far superior to any other bipod i have used

I second what Starvin said. I inadvertently extend the legs everytime I am taking the rifle out of the bag or moving the rifle from one location to another. Operator error cannot be ruled out (LOL) but I too am tempted to try the Atlas.

I have owned the AI bipod and I honestly don't think much of it considering the price tag.

For the money, get an Atlas bipod and the Atlas AI spigot...you'll thank yourself later!!

The AI bipod is heavy, clumsy, bulky, a little dated, and very very expensive, but built like a tank. Is it worth the money? Nah. Its basicly a WWII machine gun bipod with a spigot.

I got a chance to use a Atlas at a match in August with my AI. I wanted a bipod that would actually utilze the spigot.

I thought the bipod was extremely sloppy, wobbly, and a piss poor fit in the spiggot. The silicon solution doesnt really satisfy on a bipod of such expense. Everything on there seemed "wiggly", and had a tuff time getting settled, and resetting after shots. I think its undersized for a 18lb. rifle.

However, the 45 degree option was a very nice feature for shooting off the backside of burms, helps keep the rifle low, to use a rear bag. The bipod is extremely light, and adjusts easily.

When these issues get worked out, the Atlas will be the best bipod available, but I still prefer my Harris with the pod lock. There is just too much slop in the Atlas, all the way around. I applaud the ideas that go went into the Atlas, just can not wait for the improvements.

I got my Atlas with Spigot mount. Things I have noticed: there does seem to be some play in the notches that lock the legs at different angles, seems to be some play where the outer legs lock into the notches on the inner legs, and one of the outer legs seems to be able to spin much easier around inner leg than the other (meaning: I mean I can spin one leg several rotations by quickly spinning the leg like you would when you are spinning a top while the other one will stop as soon as I stop spinning the leg). Not sure what the deal is with one leg spinning easier than the other. As long as it does not cause problems during shooting by rotating too easy, I am not sure this is a big concern.

However, I will say I like the locking mechanism better than the Harris w/Podlock as it seems to actually lock the bipod from panning/tilting. I never seemed to be able to completely lock the Harris from tilting. I also like the 90/45 degree angles it locks at, how easy it is to change between the angles, getting the bipod out front via the spigot, and the low profile it has when fold flat against the stock or forward towards the end of the rifle. I won't be able to get out to the range for another weekend but will post back after I make it out.

How do tell if a Bipod is a genuine AI or a Parker Hale, or a knockoff? This one I just received on a used AICS stock looks like the real AIs I've seen, and very much like the ones in the pics I could find. Here it is below:

Is it an AI or something else? Thinking of selling it and want to list it accurately. I was told it was a Versa when I bought it, but it does not have those markings on it, and looks more like the AI or Parker Hale product (or a clone?)

051-1.jpg

050-1.jpg

Ah - the AI bipod debate.

It gets a bit confusing at times. I have an AI bipod, a Harris swivel with a pod loc, & the Atlas.

The AI ( or Parker Hale really ) is a slightly modernised version of a Bren LMG bipod, I dont know how many Bren bipods you see in the US but anyone who has served in either the British or Commonwealth forces up until the mid 1990's has probably seen one. The AI bipod is built well, it tilts & pans very well, & for field use on operations it is the ducks guts. On the rifle range or the lounge room floor it is not so good.

The Harris with a pod loc is great for range work. It can be locked up reasonably tight, & it does not weigh much for those long walks from the car to the firing point. I have used mine for F/TR & hunting & it works well. I dont know if I would pick it to use on a 2 way range though. Interestingly enough, the Brits seem to issue it as part of the CES for the L115 ( AWSM in 338 ) & I wonder is that because the overall weight is a lot less to have to lug around on various interesting third world excursions. Either way for the cost involved it seems to be a good way to go.

ATLAS. I have had mine for about 6 months. I generally like the design, but I bet it may be a bit of a maintenence intensive thing if deployed in a dusty enviroment. Anyway, I like the tilt & pan & the locking mechanism. It is also very light weight for what it is. I purchased the claws with mine as well, but they have been made redundant by Frank & Jacobs most excellent training regimes. An great piece of kit. Where I believe it falls down a bit in the AI is the spigot that fits it to the chassis. Mine rattles around some in any of my AI's. If the spigot fit could be improved some - then it would be the top of the pile as far as AI bipod options go. Maybe the answer for the ATLAS spigot is to modify it, or make another version, that allows it to lock up tight against the chassis. Then all the movement will be in the bipod, & not the bipod & spigot combined.

Back to the original question - is the AI bipod worth the coin ? If you are deploying the rifle on operations then yes, it is worth the coin. If you are wanting to shoot recreationally with an AI then I think you may be dissapointed. There are some other solutions available - but they are not perfect either.

Cheers,

If it's a Parker Hale it will be stamped Parker Hale...leastways mine is. I'll try to post pics in a while.

Pic added:

PHBipodmarking.jpg

Interesting Basra - do you think that the PH stamping may reflect the production dates of before & after the PH bustup in 1996 or so ?

tikkat - sorry mate, no idea on that one. I got my PH after 1996 but have no way of knowing the actual date of manufacture and I don't see any stamps on it other than that in the pic.

So is the knob on the bipod just a rubber washer with a knob on it? And simply friction just to keep the bipod from flipping around so easy? I know there was some talk about this a week or so.

If thats all there is to, I can drill and tap mine and use the same set up. I have a AI bipod, but I usually use the Harris since its short. But the AI seems to be better in the field to get over grass and other obstacles that might be in front of you.

Cut

Does the knob tighten the bipod to the front of the rifle? If not I don't see how it would work as the pivot is inside the spigot and not between the pin and the bipod.

Pat

Looking at it I imagine that it's a new spigot with a threaded end and a small slot where the roll pin hole would be.
I'm guessing that the spigot goes into the hole and is held in place by the release catch, then the nut on the front pulls the whole lot together so it's actually pulling on the release catch thus clamping the bipod to the rifle.

I could be wrong, my wife often tells me that I am!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank356</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking at it I imagine that it's a new spigot with a threaded end and a small slot where the roll pin hole would be.
I'm guessing that the spigot goes into the hole and is held in place by the release catch, then the nut on the front pulls the whole lot together so it's actually pulling on the release catch thus clamping the bipod to the rifle.

I could be wrong, my wife often tells me that I am!</div></div>

I'm not your wife and you are right.

+1 the Atlas is awesome. Got it sitting on my AR currently.

I have both the AI bipod and Harris. I've used the AI bipod twice, and never looked back. Haven't tried the Atlas. The AI bipod is pretty pricey (for me at least).

Where to get the NON-swivel AI-bipod!?!?!?

I like the AI-bipod, but the free swivel drove me absolutely crazy.....

Thanks for this set of posts. I am looking at AI rifle and I think you just kept me from spending $$$ where I did not need to spend it at. Where does one pick up the knob-mod for the otherwise perfect Atlas? Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for this set of posts. I am looking at AI rifle and I think you just kept me from spending $$$ where I did not need to spend it at. Where does one pick up the knob-mod for the otherwise perfect Atlas? Thanks again. </div></div>

The Atlas doesn't need it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for this set of posts. I am looking at AI rifle and I think you just kept me from spending $$$ where I did not need to spend it at. Where does one pick up the knob-mod for the otherwise perfect Atlas? Thanks again. </div></div>

The Atlas doesn't need it. </div></div>Thanks, I mis-read the post above.

Personal preference... for me, no.

And while it is certainly an improvement, when you are prone on the rifle, that tension knob is much harder to reach than a pod-loc lever...

I have the AI that I bought with the gun and after reading everything on the Atlas I gave it a shot.

I like the closed height of the Atlas Vs. the AI - for me it makes a difference. What sold me was the lack thereof of unintentional leg extensions that is a very big problem in the AI.

The AI is a very robust setup, but after beating up the Atlas over the last 2 weeks I doubt I would buy another AI for the next gun.

Just my thoughts.

Best,

John~

I love my AI bipod and I don't think I'd trade it for anything as long as I have my AICS. At first I was a little iffy because of the pan and tilt. I learned quickly to use it and a little bit of preloading goes a long way with the AI bipod. Harris on an AI again? NO THANK YOU.

Never seen an Atlas but a buddy is supposed to be getting one. I'm interested in seeing it.

-X

I have most all of the higher priced bipods except atlas I use my AI bipod on my 50 cal as I needed it for many reasons the one that came with the Bohica was not up to the job and a bit short. Im going to give a atlas a try as good things are being said about them yes the parker hale was spendy but most brit gear is I like mine and agree with Tiger Bikes its really up to the user in the end cheers and its getting a might cold up here to shoot but we go when we can.

I have to mention that at the Hardrock competition the 45 degee angled use of the Atlas is an absolute must with the positioning of the benches. This feature is what really pushed the Atlas out in front for me on my AW. Just one more feature of the Atlas.

I just went with the Atlas and the spigot for my AI700 I really like the way it works so far.

Dustin

I had both the Atlas and the AI. I liked the AI but I found it was just too high and I didn't care for the way it flops around with no tension. The Atlas is simply awesome. Being able to shoot with the legs extended out is huge.

I've got an Atlas spigot as well as the little pic-rail that goes in the handrail slot and I find I can load the bipod on slick surfaces like cement and finished wood a lot better when the bipod is a little closer to the rear.

Both of them have their advantages and disadvantages...at the end of the day, the best solution is simply to try both of them out on a rifle, and see what works best for you. Personally, I use a Harris with Podlock, but the Atlas is definitely superior in a number of areas.

If anyone needs an Atlas, we do have them in stock and ready to ship, with the AI spigot adapter.