• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Accuracy International bolt issue

Rodney65

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2018
Hello. I have an AE MkIII (uses the same bolt as the AW) which is having an intermittent but annoying issue.

Occasionally when lifting the bolt handle it feels as if the bolt is locked closed like when the safety is on. Jiggling the handle fairly aggressively or cycling the safety will usually cause it to come unstuck. This happens fairly rarely, maybe 1 in 100 bolt lifts or less. It happens sometimes after being fired and sometimes not. The most consistent contributing factor is flicking the safety on and then off again but it happens sometimes without touching the safety.

The rifle has about 10,000 rounds through it, mostly handloads but nothing hot, and well over 100,000 dry fire cycles. AI says that much use shouldn't hurt anything.

A service center here says they can look at the bolt but I was wondering if anyone on here has had a similar problem and knows how to fix it so I don't have to go through the hassle of sending it in. The only advice they gave over the phone was to not dismantle my bolt.

Thanks in advance!

Probably a worn part in the safety, nothing you’re going to fix or replace at home. Just send the bolt to a service center or AINA and let them handle it.

like stated above. Send it in. You would have to guess the parts you need. you Would need to check the tolerances per AI armores manual. Call Mile High and just send it in.

Thanks for the replies! I figured I would have to send it in I just thought I would ask on here to make sure it wasn't something really simple or easy to fox myself.

Quick followup. Sent my bolt to Wolverine Supplies in Manitoba. Took one day for them to repair a broken pin and send it back.

Also I didn't know what kind of warranty these rifles have but it turns out it isn't a lifetime one. The repairs cost about $80.

1 year only, and only for the original owner.

I have 7 of their rifles as far back as 2001, and have only had one very small issue which Mile High remedied ASAP. So, something to be said for not needing a warranty. I say this as a huge AI fan, former professional user, and two-decade customer...1 year on the most premium bolt gun there is seems pretty shitty compared to about every other gun manufacturer in the world.

Not sure if it has changed but this is the only written policy I can find:

Reactions: Krob95
I agree on all counts, including being an AI fanboy, using this rifle a LOT and not needing a warranty until now, and the 1 year warranty being a bit shitty. Yeah their rifles are very solid and reliable but they are also some of the most expensive factory rifles on the market. For how rarely it gets used it wouldn't take much to extend that warranty a bit and give some piece of mind.

That said at least they are open about it. I can't remember which scope manufacturer it was but they had a lifetime warranty that upon VERY close inspection was for the lifetime of the product line, not the customers lifetime. As soon as they decided not to support that product the lifetime warranty was over.

Just thought I would post another update. A few months after having the broken pin replaced the safety could no longer be applied without using gloves or a hammer or shredding your fingers. I had to send my rifle back a second time this year and pay several hundred dollars more for repairs. Report from the repair shop:

-Inspected and found that the safety cam slot was stretched open, bolt lock had a notch wore into the side of it, bolt lock spring was compressed and bent slightly. All replaced

-The main issue was the cocking piece was wore and not holding the firing pin back far enough for the safety to be activated. This is why when you pushed the tail housing forward the safety could be activated.

When I asked why the parts were broken they told me it was just due to wear. This seems like a lot of fairly expensive parts that are prone to wearing out on a rifle that cost a lot of money in the first place and is supposed to be quite durable. It has never been abused, no hot loads or anything like that.

While I have always thought they were neat I have to say I am not very impressed with the longevity of Accuracy International rifles, especially since these repairs were only a few months apart.

Last edited:
What caliber and velocity were you running on your hand loads?
6.5CM out of 24 and 26" barrels. 147gr ELD-Ms in Hornady brass over 41.8gr H4350 gets me around 2750 to 2770 depending on lots and conditions. Close to factory load speeds. Nothing extreme.

I still like the rifle and still shoot it and dry fire it a lot but I am also still a bit bummed about it needing multiple repairs and the cost of the repairs.

Wow.

Doesn’t @Rifles Only have one with 100,000 plus on it. ? Any broken parts or repairs there ?
I imagine, as with anything, some are worse than others. A guy in the AT-X thread cycled his bolt a few times to dry fire his rifle when he got it and the entire bolt handle snapped off.

Might also be how you use the rifle. The safety broke on mine but I had done hundreds, maybe thousands, snap shooting drills where I flipped the safety off, fired/dry fired, cycled the bolt, and then put the safety back on. Didn't think that would break it but I imagine some shooters rarely touch the safety.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: BurtG
Interesting enough I have the exact same issue with my AI. Probably only happens 1 out of 50 rounds of live fire but 1 out of 5 if I dryfire. Guess I will call MH and try and send in the bolt.

I'd estimate roughly 8k rounds on it and easily 40-50k dryfires.

AT-X thread cycled his bolt a few times to dry fire his rifle when he got it and the entire bolt handle snapped of
WiTF

but I imagine some shooters rarely touch the safety.
That’s me. I sold axsa with thousands of rounds plus dry fire on it. Seller asked em if safety was broke because it was so stiff. I never use safety’s on bolt guns