• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International multi-piece bolt?

Re: Accuracy International multi-piece bolt?

1) yes the bolt and the bolt body on the AE and AW are the same. And now the entire bolt is the same now that the AE safety is the same. So one could swap between platforms. Even back in the MK 1 days.

2) yes the bolts are removable from the bolt body for service but this is something not endorsed by AINA

I should add, not at the user level.

Is there any advantage to having a design made of several parts? After hearing the horror stories of remington bolt handles coming off, I had stuck in my head that one-piece designs like PTG were superior. AI has a reputation for toughness, so I don't doubt that they're good. It just seems odd to have it pinned together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NICKNICK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any advantage to having a design made of several parts? After hearing the horror stories of remington bolt handles coming off, I had stuck in my head that one-piece designs like PTG were superior. AI has a reputation for toughness, so I don't doubt that they're good. It just seems odd to have it pinned together. </div></div>

I have never heard on here at least of someone breaking a AI Bolt. Not sayings its not possible......just never heard about one. Now REM style bolts....different story.

AI bolt bodies and handles are one piece with a seperate bolt head.

Remington handles almost always come off for reasons other than poor work by Remington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NICKNICK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any advantage to having a design made of several parts? After hearing the horror stories of remington bolt handles coming off, I had stuck in my head that one-piece designs like PTG were superior. AI has a reputation for toughness, so I don't doubt that they're good. It just seems odd to have it pinned together. </div></div>

I have never heard on here at least of someone breaking a AI Bolt. Not sayings its not possible......just never heard about one. Now REM style bolts....different story. </div></div>

After shooting a ton of rounds, including a lot of ragged edge pressure, I deformed the lugs on my AW bolt and had to have the head replaced. Quick and painless as AINA has kick-ass service.

I know of a few broken remington bolt handles within my close family on PSS magnum rifles, mostly is was a manufacturer defect and stuck cases (a part problem to cause the break). Both were covered by Remington no charge. Also being a mechanic I know how much force is required to shear hardened steel roll pins, let alone two of them. I can imagine short of using a hammer to beat on the handle to twist the two parts you will never kill it.

When you deformed the lugs on your AW bolt, was any damage done to the receiver?

Was the bolt head replacement covered under warranty, or did you have to pay out of pocket?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NICKNICK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you deformed the lugs on your AW bolt, was any damage done to the receiver?

Was the bolt head replacement covered under warranty, or did you have to pay out of pocket? </div></div>

No, no, yes.

Bolt heads on AI rifles are all made from ultra-high strength steel. The bolt body does not have the same strength requirement and we therefore use a different material for that. By securing the bolt head to the bolt body we have a bolt which not only gives very high strength where we need it but the bolt head can be replaced in the event of wear which is a very simple task when carried out at our factory. We definitely do not encourage anyone to try this at home!
The same material is used in the lock rings which the bolt head engages and again a lock ring can be replaced in the event of wear without replacing the receiver.
With the ultra-high strength steel, however, the need to replace bolt heads or lock rings is low.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

And this is my favorite thing about the AI series of rifles...

I donot know where this thread is going , as far as I know , the AW & the AE MKIII do use the same bolt , BUT the feed ramps on the receiver & locking insert are I think different from the AW to the AE mkIII , the ramps on the AW are set up for L & R feed from the double feed mag .

The AE is set up for center feed of the single feed posn mag , so in short you cannot just stick a AW mag in a AE and have it feed .

Later Chris

AW and standard AE bolt

Picture005.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I donot know where this thread is going , as far as I know , the AW & the AE MKIII do use the same bolt , BUT the feed ramps on the receiver & locking insert are I think different from the AW to the AE mkIII , the ramps on the AW are set up for L & R feed from the double feed mag .

The AE is set up for center feed of the single feed posn mag , so in short you cannot just stick a AW mag in a AE and have it feed .

Later Chris</div></div>

I am not sure you are correct, at one time I had and AE MK I and an AIAW and I was able to interchange the bolts and for the hell of it I head spaced it and each bolt worked perfectly in the opposite rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bolts absolutely interchange... you can change bolts and the rifle will function fine. </div></div>

Yup