• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy Int'l AE 308 questions.

rong56345

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2010
Looking to purchase. Please advise on either a 20" braked barrel, or a 24" barrel. differences of the two. If 24" is used, should it be muzzel braked? I plan to shoot up to 1000 yards.

ron

Re: Accuracy Int'l AE 308 questions.

I've shot my 24" (no brake) next to a guy with a 20" (brake). No difference in impact! Approx. 42 moa up for both @ 1k.

Pick what you like.

You really don't benefit much from a brake with a 308 especially with one as heavy as a AI. Many matches also won't let you shoot with a brake and even if you can it SUCKS to be beside somebody with a brake even if its not a match. I have the 24" version that I added a AAC brake to so I can attach my suppressor, and I've only shot it without the suppressor 10-20 rounds.

IMO a brake a nuisance if it's not a heavy recoiling caliber that needs one. Without a brake you can shoot here and there to take game without hearing protection and not have a issue. With a brake you have to use hearing protection whenever you shoot because one shot can do permanent hearing damage. People beside you at the range will hate you too.

My vote would be for the 20" plain or 24" plain barrel unless you plan on using a suppressor which the MB version is already threaded for.

Depends on what you are going to use it for.

I went with the braked 20" because I wanted short and I frequently shoot from positions that do not allow you to get straight behind the rifle. The brake will reduce some hop.

If you are going to handload and shoot long range, then the 24" plain would be a better choice.

Brakes are a fact of life on a tactical rifle. I have shot beside many and yes, it causes another issue you have to deal with. However it's something other competitors have to deal with too. The AI brake is not anywhere near as bad as some others out there. I shot next to a vias at the last shoot and a JP Brake not too long ago. Those tickled a little more than the AI brake.

My preference would be 20" braked to have options. The 20" will get you to 1000 with just a few FPS less. If you plan to use a suppressor that extra 4" could make the gun feel way long and hard to manuver with the extra 8" of suppressor on the end. I prefer a more compact rifle. If the extra 4" don't bother you and you don't plan on needing it threaded.. go for the 24" with the extra velocity.

Great choice on a bulletproof platform. Wise decision.

I believe to better advise you a couple of things I would consider:
1. primary application: if you are going to the range, benching or competitive shooting, I would recommend the 24" barrel over the 20" any day of the week. If you are planning on tactical training, 600m range shooting and less or require compact system, the 20" would be my choice. There are many reasons to go with either one up front, but remember, you can always purchase the other later for installation to afford you the other opportunities as well, so not a real issue.

2. Suppressor usage, 20" more desirable for obvious reasons on overall length.

As for the muzzle brake, that is a personal choice there. The AI standard muzzle brake is ok, not my favorite for sound, signature and reduction. The AI magnum brake is much better in all aspects in comparison to the standard, but is more expensive. The new SAS QD brake we offer on the Bartlein barrels is truthfully my favorite for all around usage as a muzzle brake in comparison. The AI brakes are installed with a M18x1.5 and can be easily removed and reinstalled. The SAS QD is a timed and not recommended to be removed for suppressor installation. Hope this helps.

Either one can get you to 1000 yards with the right ammo, but as Stacey mentions, the 24" is definitely preferable if you're primarily using it on a square range. And swapping barrels out later on isn't much of an issue, so you can't really go wrong either way.

Whichever way you go, send me a PM whenever you're ready to order!

Not to mention as well the other calibers available such as .243, .260 and 6.5CM. For the 1000yd shooters, many will recommend the .260 over the .308 many times over now days.

Ron:

I bought an AE from SRT a couple of weeks ago and bought a 260 barrel from Stacey last week. I changed out my barrels this afternoon and it took about 30 minutes. Couldn't believe how easy it was. You could have both the 20" and the 24" and change them out easily if you wanted.

Congrats! and there you have it from a customer directly. I like the shorter barrels such as a 16-20" more for the primary app, but if I need I have the 24" barrels as well. As well on the AW and AWM/AWSM series, multiple barrels for different setups.

Now maybe Jonathan will buy himself a .260 or something else, oh that will mean he has to do a barrel change
crazy.gif

Have you heard of anyone having issues with a folding stock cheek plate with respect to the scope type you buy?
I talked to a guy who had some issues.

thanx: Ron

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rong56345</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you heard of anyone having issues with a folding stock cheek plate with respect to the scope type you buy?
I talked to a guy who had some issues.

thanx: Ron </div></div>The cheek piece is adjustable on all 2.0's, so unless the scope is mounted too low, which I can't see happening, I can't forsee an issue. The only other potential issue I could see is perhaps if the cheek was jacked all the way up, it might hit the parallax adjustment knob on the scope when folded. But I don't think this would really be possible- the scope would have to be mounted crazy high to necessitate the cheek piece being that high, and the height of the scope at that point would probably give it clearance over the cheek piece.

under most circumstances, then, is a cheek piece on the 2.0 necessary?, or can one get by with a fixed 1.5 stock??

rong-

Get behind it and see if you need the cheekpiece, I wanted the adj feature after playing with it, some dont. Never had any issues with scopes and cheek piece in the shooting position. Could remove the adj cheekpice to clean rifle or shoot without it(would be uncomfortable given stock mods I suspect). Having adj cheekpiece makes it easier to resell if that plays any role in your decision

Rong, I'm experienced with the AE in field tactical. If this is the shooting you'll be doing here's my advice. The sooner you can see your trace, the better. That means brake the rifle.

It also means run a 264 or 243 caliber. You'll never be sorry. I'd run a 243 and DTACS or 105 AMAX and look forward from now on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rong56345</div><div class="ubbcode-body">under most circumstances, then, is a cheek piece on the 2.0 necessary?, or can one get by with a fixed 1.5 stock?? </div></div>The cheek piece is standard on the 1.5 and 2.0. I don't believe a 1.0 (non adjustable cheek piece) is available any longer.

The difference between the 1.5 and 2.0 is that the 2.0 is a folder, the 1.5 is fixed. I have both a folding AI (AX) and a fixed AI (AW) and what I find about the folder is this: it is a "cool" option, but I never see anybody carrying one folded, though I am looking into bags that are very small for this reason. The biggest benefit to the folder is that you need to remove the cheek piece to take the bolt out and to clean the rifle on a 1.5. You can reset the position easily with spacers, but you don't need to remove the piece at all if you have a 2.0.

The 2.0 will increase your resale also, if/when you ever decide to sell it.

"LoneWolfUSMC", yeah yeah thats it, blame me for your "needs and desires", I am just fueling the machine, LOL.

As to the "adjustable cheek piece" issue with a folder, there is none. Also, many are completely unaware the cheek piece is as well adjustable for side to side. But as mentioned earlier, if low rings are utilized, then the end user will not be able normally line up within the eye box of the optics..

The AICS Stage I.5 and Stage II come standard with the adjustable cheek piece, the Stage I has been discontinued for several years now.

I split the baby. I took a 24" and had it trimmed and threaded to 22".

FWIW 43.5 of RE 15 / Lapua / Win LP / 45 degrees / 735 DA clocked right at @ 2,600 fps (average of 20 rounds) with a single digit SD - a stupidly accurate load. This is @ 75 fps SLOWER than the exact same load under similar atmospherics in a 22" Rock Creek from GAP.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stacey @ AINA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to mention as well the other calibers available such as .243, .260 and 6.5CM. For the 1000yd shooters, many will recommend the .260 over the .308 many times over now days.</div></div>

Are you going to do any 6.5x47's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chillin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Are you going to do any 6.5x47's </div></div>Answering for Stacey a bit, because I have read his answer on the subject- AINA decided against the 6.5x47 because of the small primer problems experienced with the AI firing pins.

From my own personal experiences of a 6.5x47l on an AW- I wouldn't do it again. I pierced many small primers with very mild loads, and I have not pierced a single large rifle primer in .308 configuration, even with very stout loads.

Roger that. I love my Covert in .308 anyway was just wondering if the 47L was an option in the future. bm11 thanks for the detailed explanation. Good info for sure!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chillin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roger that. I love my Covert in .308 anyway was just wondering if the 47L was an option in the future. bm11 thanks for the detailed explanation. Good info for sure! </div></div>I was really excited for it, but after 10 or so primer pierces out of 15 rounds, I called it quits. Plus, the .260 does everything the x47 does, only better. Especially now that .260 brass is coming out.

Yeah I hear ya on the .260 and everyone being excited about the brass but it will be hard for me to give up the 47L, but I may get there sooner rather than later with all this push to the .260

Rong, you can't go wrong with the 24" barrel. If you're concerned about recoil without the brake don't be, I shoot one and it's not bad at all. I own a 1.5 version, the only time I wish the stock folded is when I'm loading at 50" hard case into the truck. I've had no issues with the adjustable comb.

Inventory on an AEMKII .308, black 24" barrel; fixed or folding stock?? Best price.
Thanks, Ron

Here is inventory for SRT.
Inventory

By the way I purchased my second MKII 24" from Jonathan at SRT. Customer service is top-notch! I can't recomend him enough.

-Mosdet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rong56345</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Inventory on an AEMKII .308, black 24" barrel; fixed or folding stock?? Best price.
Thanks, Ron</div></div>

Ron, send SRT and Stacey a PM and they can give you inventory and prices for delivery. Great guys to say the least.

Feel free to contact me for technical and customer service questions. These are our three distributors; please contact them directly for all LE, dealer setup and retail pricing request:

MILE HIGH SHOOTING ACCESSORIES LLC&#8232;
Randy & Diann Pennington
3731 Monarch St. &#8232;
Erie, Colorado &#8232;80516
Phone #: (303) 255-9999&#8232;
Fax #: (303) 254-6572
E-Mail: [email protected]

SRT SUPPLY INC.
Point of contact: Jonathan Mizner
4450 60th Ave N.
St. Petersburg, FL 33714
Phone #: (727) 526-5451

TAC PRO SHOOTING CENTER
35100 North State Highway 108
Mingus, Texas 76463-6405
Phone #: (254) 968-3112
Fax #: (254) 968-5857

Hey Stacy. I ordered an AE with a 24" barrel from SRT and Jonathan. Now i need recommendations on scopes. I'm leaning towards a NightForce 3.5-15. Whatta you think?
Ron

I personally run some NF as well as several other brands. Depending on the application, that is truly the biggest determining factor on optics, the end user plans on or requires the system to operate within. Feel free to contact me and I will be glad to assist.