• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Accuracy issues with can

Stewy151

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2020
I am new to the suppressor world. I recently got a sand man L took it out and tried to sight it in was all over took the can off and in the picture the 3 top shot were with no can( I'm not a professional shooter) put the can on and the two lower shots were the first two shots the next two shots didn't hit paper. Was at a range at 100 with a lead sled. I am shooting a bergara 300 win mag with hornady precision Hunter 200 grain eld-x factory ammo. Any advise on what could cause such a drastic change would be much appreciated.

My can alters my POI 1.0 mil on both my rifles, doesn’t change group size though. Ditch the led sled and use a bipod and rear bag, that sled will tear that gun up.
I agree the led sled not the most accurate but got a decent 3 shot group with it without the can on and then being that far off with it. Seems like may be a separate issue. I expected to have to rezero but I couldn't get a consistent group at all with the can on I put over a box through it and was all over or off paper completely

Reactions: Abbotm2
I agree the led sled not the most accurate but got a decent 3 shot group with it without the can on and then being that far off with it. Seems like may be a separate issue. I expected to have to rezero but I couldn't get a consistent group at all with the can on I put over a box through it and was all over or off paper completely
Some silencer and rifle combinations just don't work well together. I suspect the weight of Sandman-L is causing the issue. What taper barrel?

Some silencer and rifle combinations just don't work well together. I suspect the weight of Sandman-L is causing the issue. What taper barrel?
I'm not sure what the taper is couldn't find on the website. Possible it could just not be a good match. But I have seen other threads of people using them on the same rifle. I will have to dig into it more and see. Try my can on another rifle.

It might be a slight strike issue. I had a similar issue on one of my seekins SP10 rifles. No visible strike evidence but I changed to a different mount and adapter (saker 762) and it started shooting same sized groups as no can. Maybe look at barrel end profile where it's threaded and see id the mount could be cockeyed? (technical term....)

It might be a slight strike issue. I had a similar issue on one of my seekins SP10 rifles. No visible strike evidence but I changed to a different mount and adapter (saker 762) and it started shooting same sized groups as no can. Maybe look at barrel end profile where it's threaded and see id the mount could be cockeyed? (technical term....)
I will check that. I couldn't get the shims to line the break exactly at 12 o'clock did have to tighten a little more than I wanted to to get the last like 1/16 inch to line it up at 12

The weight and length of the can will change the harmonics of the barrel. That combination with the ammo doesnt make it happy. Try different ammo with different bullet

Kind of hard to get a picture of but there is a little dimple on the end cap and looks like a bit of a groove can only see on the last 4 baffles is this similar to what you saw with the glancing issue on yours or am I seeing things?

Attachments

• PXL_20200927_220222523.jpg
    PXL_20200927_220222523.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20200927_215805711.jpg
    PXL_20200927_215805711.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 56
Better picture of what appears to be a groove from possibly the bullet maybe normal idk

Attachments

• PXL_20200927_220912849.jpg
    PXL_20200927_220912849.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 63
This

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200927-165745~2.png
    Screenshot_20200927-165745~2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
I was having the same issues with my sandman S/L and K. I have a AX .260 with a 24in barrel and My rifle hates the ELD-X, for some dumb reason it wouldn’t shoot the hornady ammo with the can smaller than 1.5in at 100. I used some 130 Berger’s from coppercreek and it would bring the group back to .3-.5in.

I was having the same issues with my sandman S/L and K. I have a AX .260 with a 24in barrel and My rifle hates the ELD-X, for some dumb reason it wouldn’t shoot the hornady ammo with the can smaller than 1.5in at 100. I used some 130 Berger’s from coppercreek and it would bring the group back to .3-.5in.
If I could get to 1.5 inch group I'd feel ok with that I had 2 bullets not hit paper and 2 growing lower each shot. I will try a different ammo. I don't know anyone else with a 300 win but have one buddy with the S and one with the TI shooting Hornady eldx with a 6.5 creedmoor really well

The group I shoot with have sandman’s, thunderbeasts and sakers. Lately we all have issues with the ELDXs and were not sure why.

I just checked all of the cans and none of them have a mark like that. The photo is a bit out of focus but it might be a strike. I had strike from a bad brake, dead air made it right and painted the can (burned off doing full auto)...for free.

This looks like a strike... Have to verified the supressor/mount/barrel thread alignment with an alignment rod?
I just ordered an alignment rod Friday night waiting for it to show up so I can verify. I have been in touch with dead air sent them the pictures as well will hopefully hear back from them and get the rod soon so I can verify.

I just checked all of the cans and none of them have a mark like that. The photo is a bit out of focus but it might be a strike. I had strike from a bad brake, dead air made it right and painted the can (burned off doing full auto)...for free.
I will
I have been in touch with them I've heard good things about them making things right when there is an issue. I don't reload all I've seen for factory ammo with Berger bullets is HSM I can't purchase their ammo any recommendations on a factory ammo to try? Thanks for the info

From the pictures you provided I think those Notches are normal. My saker has similar notches in the first couple of baffles. Still worth looking at alignment. Like I mentioned, I changed mounts and adapters on 2 of my rifles and it fixed the issue. Nothing visible on the end cap. Hope DeadAir can help you figure it out.

I just ordered an alignment rod Friday night waiting for it to show up so I can verify. I have been in touch with dead air sent them the pictures as well will hopefully hear back from them and get the rod soon so I can verify.
Post a pic from the side of your brake then with the can mounted up

From the pictures you provided I think those Notches are normal. My saker has similar notches in the first couple of baffles. Still worth looking at alignment. Like I mentioned, I changed mounts and adapters on 2 of my rifles and it fixed the issue. Nothing visible on the end cap. Hope DeadAir can help you figure it out.

The keyhole notches in the baffles are normal as it had been stated several times already. The small clip inside the end cap he posted does not look normal though

Little better picture

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200927-193402.png
    Screenshot_20200927-193402.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
That is the same mount I had problems with (the Dead Air mount for the saker.) The Silencerco mount sucked. I launched my can down range once due to a Bad lock up. I changed to the 51T ACC tri tip flash suppressor and adapter and that fixed it. YMMV.

not sure that’s an option for your can.

Reactions: Stewy151
I think at this point until I'm at a stand still until my alignment rod comes. Van check it on my gun with my break and have a friend with multiple rifles set up for sandman cans will put the can on his rifles and check alignment on multiple guns. I pulled the brake and used new shims and retourqued it. If it's still all over will try different ammo. If that doesn't work I'll have a really expensive paperweight

Tried a few different kinds of ammo. Federal gold medal Sierra match king bthp 190 grain got her zeroed in shooting tight groups