• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Accuracy of 10-8 Rear Sight

Nosler243Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
Alabama
I am sending my Les Baer 1911 to a gunsmith tomorrow for some sight work and a few other things. I told him I wanted a 10-8 rear sight and he suggested the .140 width. I currently have the Novak night sights. My current rear sight notch is .118 wide and my front sight is also .118. I have always loved Novak style sights and I am starting to worry that I might be making a mistake by trying something new. I shoot paper with this pistol most of the time but it is also used for varmint and snake control. Will I give up some of my accuracy by going with a .140 notch? Should I go with a .125 notch instead or should I go with a solid black Novak? The front sight will be a fiber optic.

Thanks

You arent really loosing accuracy they might take a little more work on your part to get the hits on target as there is more slop on either side of the sight. With that said if it aint broke why fix it if the sights you already have are doing exactly what you want why change.

My eyesight is not very good and I just need something a little brighter. Most of my other pistols have fiber optic sights. I also just wanted a plain rear sight with no dots.

I have 10-8 sights on all of the pistols that they're available for and I own(with the exception of my G24 comp pistol). I'm at the point now where I can't stand having the space between the front blade and rear notch "full" when I have the proper sight picture. If you do the research, you'll find that some gap is recommended by the majority of shooters out there who are good with a pistol. I also can't stand a "fat" front sight. Thinner is better up front. I say go for the gap, and I seriously doubt you'll regret it.

I run this setup on all my Glocks and really like it. I use a plain black front on my USPSA gun and trintium front on my carry guns.

Rear sight: 10-8 .140
Front: Warren .115 wide (.215 tall)