• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy of suppressed rifles

rick983

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2009
I'm taking my Rem. XR100 in 223 to my gunsmith tomorrow to have the barrel threaded for a SAS titanium can I'm buying. This is a very accurate rifle and I'm concerned that I may be giving up some of it's accuracy by threading it and adding the can. What is the general consensus on accuracy with suppressors? Thanks.

Re: Accuracy of suppressed rifles

Rick, there is so much to it, it would be fair to say you might want to look through the threads and read.

All in all, a good suppressor, will maintain the same accuracy as you had before you put it on. It may cause a shift in your POI. If you will notice how many guys use suppressors on the forum, it's safe to say it will not decrease your accuracy.

I noticed a slight improvment with the can on and a 3"straight down POI shift.. now for some reason I was thinking poi would be the same as moa and increase as the range increases but this is false. It is just a different starting point.

The machining of the threads is very important when it comes to a suppressor. Did you get the direct mount or QD? Either way like the post above do some more research, and expect it to change POI some but not much. When you mount it and tighten down the first time put a mark on it to see if you are tightening it consitantly each time you mount it. Then the POI change should always be the same. As far as accuracy it should stay the same or improve slighty. If the threads aren't done properly you could have a baffle strike, or very noticeable change in your POI like 3in at 100 yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ninja Pirtle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rick, there is so much to it, it would be fair to say you might want to look through the threads and read.

All in all, a good suppressor, will maintain the same accuracy as you had before you put it on. It may cause a shift in your POI. If you will notice how many guys use suppressors on the forum, it's safe to say it will not decrease your accuracy. </div></div>

I was going to comment but I got stuck staring at your sig and forgot what I was going to say..! lol

I believe my .308 shoots a tad better with the suppressor on.
As mentioned above the thread job will be crucial..

As long as the install is done right on the threads, supressors have come a long way in the last few years that POA/POI diffrences are negligable at best. Many cases show that groups usually tighten slightly, with a some shift to POI like stated above. In 'ye olden days' you would sacrifice accuracy and consistency for a quieter shot. Now you can have your cake and eat it.

.4 and .5 mil POI below shooting without surpressor, pending on which rifle I put it on.

Better accuracy and precision due to less recoil, at least for my part.

I´ve heard people say it can affect accuracy, if your shooting target at at over 1000 yards. But people talk and I only have experience with cans on pistols.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnyack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I´ve heard people say it can affect accuracy, if your shooting target at at over 1000 yards. But people talk and I only have experience with cans on pistols. </div></div>

You guys are shooting suppressed pistols at 1000 yards?; impressive.

My AW shoots better overall with my TBAC 30P-1. There was no change in POI with the can, the recoil impulse is significantly reduced, and overall it is just more "pleasurable" to shoot.

At the Sporting Rifle Match I would think greater than 50% of the competitors use cans and almost all of the top scoring shooters do.

Zak wrote a short introduction to suppressors on high power rifles recently. It can be viewed here: http://demigodllc.com/articles/brief-introduction-to-high-power-rifle-suppressors/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnyack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I´ve heard people say it can affect accuracy, if your shooting target at at over 1000 yards. But people talk and I only have experience with cans on pistols.</div></div>

Not meaning to pick, but your information is inaccurate. If it has no affect at 100 yards, then it won't have an affect at or over 1000 yards.

While my experience is not extensive I do have 3 rifle "cans" which I have shot on a couple of rifles other than my own. In my experience I have never had a rifle shoot worse with a suppressor, they have all shot better. Some more than others but always better.

I think one of the leading reasons why people shoot better suppressed is your taking away a lot of the surprise elements when shooting with a can. The recoil is reduced and the noise is obviously reduced. That causes a lot of people to flinch and not produce accurate shots. Shooting has a lot to do with confidence, build that and your on the right path.

Please change your signature...dear lord I'm never going to think of anything meaningful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and the noise is obviously reduced.</div></div>

Good point, it sure affects me, at least in the beginning of competitions or when shooting for small groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mendocino</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnyack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I´ve heard people say it can affect accuracy, if your shooting target at at over 1000 yards. But people talk and I only have experience with cans on pistols. </div></div>

You guys are shooting suppressed pistols at 1000 yards?; impressive.

My AW shoots better overall with my TBAC 30P-1. There was no change in POI with the can, the recoil impulse is significantly reduced, and overall it is just more "pleasurable" to shoot.

At the Sporting Rifle Match I would think greater than 50% of the competitors use cans and almost all of the top scoring shooters do.

Zak wrote a short introduction to suppressors on high power rifles recently. It can be viewed here: http://demigodllc.com/articles/brief-introduction-to-high-power-rifle-suppressors/</div></div>

You kinda got that wrong I sayd I´ve never shot a can on a rifle, only on pistols...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ninja Pirtle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnyack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I´ve heard people say it can affect accuracy, if your shooting target at at over 1000 yards. But people talk and I only have experience with cans on pistols.</div></div>

Not meaning to pick, but your information is inaccurate. If it has no affect at 100 yards, then it won't have an affect at or over 1000 yards. </div></div>

Nope, the affect at 100 yards is so tiny you don´t notice. at 1000 you might be able to notice it, thats what I wanted to say.

I find they shoot great, mine shoots great on two rifles and on one is shoots noticably a little better with it.

I think the added weight might settle down barrel whip and the bleading off of the gasses from behind the exiting bullet probably helps a little also.

Good luck,

JamieD