• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy of the POF P308 ???

Sprayed99

WJK 4-9-18
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 9, 2012
    DFW TX
    Since I havent scored a used GAP10 yet I'm considering a P308 but am more concerned of how well they shoot.

Any reviews of this rifle would be great. The one I found at a great deal is a 16"

Thanks

Re: Accuracy of the POF P308 ???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have two, both are 1/2 minute rifles or better with factory ammo. </div></div>

Thank you... I will proceed then.

I have no reservations whatsoever in recommending the POF P-308. I have owned different models and all are easily sub-MOA capable and with a competent shooter and appropriate ammo, will perform exactly like LL described above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have two, both are 1/2 minute rifles or better with factory ammo. </div></div>

What barrel lengths do you have? I have a POF in 223 now and it will shoot really well too. I have been thinking of matching it with a 16" or 18" barreled POF in 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drakeky</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have two, both are 1/2 minute rifles or better with factory ammo. </div></div>

What barrel lengths do you have? I have a POF in 223 now and it will shoot really well too. I have been thinking of matching it with a 16" or 18" barreled POF in 308. </div></div>

I can't answer for LL, but I have shot many thousands of rounds though different P-308s, including the 16.5" and 20" models (I still have my 20" because it better met my needs/wants than the 16.5"). Both are equal in terms of their accuracy potential, but the 16.5" tube does give up an pretty significant edge on velocity which can hamper longer range performance in comparison to the 20", depending on the particular round you are shooting, the ranges you want to shoot, and what you need the bullet to do when it finds its target. For instance, on my pet load between the 16.5" model and the 20" model, I was giving up roughly 150fps-165fps at the muzzle with the shorter barrel. While it could have been worse, it was more than I was willing to give up and I didn't have any issues with the 3.5" longer, slightly heavier barrel in order to retain the addt'l muzzle velocity.

POF does NOT offer an 18" .308 which would arguably be an ideal compromise for a .308 AR IMHO...you either get the 16.5" or the 20" models ONLY unless you go with some sort of a custom barrel solution (or you work something out with Frank and the folks at POF ahead of time if they are willing to do something a little "different" for you).