• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Accuracy problems after fluting

Some Day

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2011
PA
I have read a lot on barrel fluting here on the hide.But so far i have not read any thing on anyone sending in a barrel and getting it back an not shooting as good as it did.I may have missed it in my readings.So is there any one out there that has had fluting done to there barrel that shoots great and now it don't.

Re: Accuracy problems after fluting

You cannot flute a button rifle barrel after it has been made, there is no question about that. We have fluted some of our own barrels after they have been completed and haven't had any problems with accuracy, but it is not something that we will ever recommend as it isn't worth it. There are much better ways to lose weight on a rifle.

Like you said you did some and had no problems and thats what i wanted to know if anyone did.I am having a build done and my smith already has my barrel.and its your falt "lol"I love that skip flutting on your barrels and thats what i want done to my barrel.That why i wanted to know if anyone lost accuracy after having it done.By the way my next build will have one of your barrels on it with skip fluting.almost have the cash saved for the action, barrels next.

So is this just a matter of opinion on accuracy lost after having a barrel fluted.Because no one is saying anything about losing accuracy after having there barrel fluted.But we read a lot of debate on it.

I would think that any change you make to a barrel will change the harmonics, therefore effecting accuracy.

I bought a new rifle from a highly respected builder some years ago. Fluted barrel.
Rifle just would not shoot under 1MOA no matter what we tried.
After the rifle was lapped, it shot 1/2" or less after lapping.

Not sure if fluting had anything to do with it, Just a hunch.
...this smiths rifles are tack drivers. Probably extremely rare for him to put out a 1MOA at best rifle.

I've heard fluting can cause tight spots in barrels. Dont know if it's true though.

I also owned a hunting rifle with a fluted barrel that shot erratically. It acted like it wanted to shoot but would always throw one or two.
So both rifles Ive owned with fluted barrels were not the best in the accuracy department. Every OTHER rifle Ive owned has shot better than the two fluted ones.
Maybe its just coincidence.

PS, I did not build either of the two fluted rifles I've owned.

To clarify, I am NOT saying fluting hurts accuracy. I hope I never have. Im just saying I don't like it. Leave your barrels alone. They're perfectly happy being left round.

I just cant believe all the people that say it will hurt your accuracy.That there is no one out there that has taken a barrel off that they have shoot and sent it in to be fluted and can say it hurt there accuracy.And yes i know that taking metal off a barrel could change the harmonics.All the stuff that i have read on the subject the guys that have had it done after the barrel was made and then fluted have had no trouble with them.And from what i have read after having a barrel fluted you should lap it.So i just wonder if it isnt more just a matter of "OPINION"

what is accuracy? relaibly placing the bullet in the same place. what are harmonics? the frequency of resonation the barrel emits upon fireing.....these are my own personal defs. change harmonics and you will have poi shift....but nothing a quick ladder should not reveal and get you back on track. I believe if sound machining practices are used the effects of the barrel being fluted are likely less than the difference of torque applied to the barrel tennon upon assembly. I have seen visibly bent barrels shoot pretty dang well. and stress relieving is a one time deal....it is going to settle down. I can see a loss in accuracy due to reduced rigidity and on extreme cases too much meat removed may let the barrel swell from pressure...but I dont buy into the fluting kills accuracy as a rule camp.

just a ramble.

Brux Barrels says "You cannot flute a button rifle barrel after it has been made, there is no question about that".

I have to question that statement - why does my current Shilen, button rifled, 8 flute barrel shoot sub 1/4" MOA from 100m to 1K? I have had probably 15 different Shilen barrels over the years that have all been fluted - I've never had a problem with any of them not shooting sub MOA. Shilen themselves will void your warranty if you flute one of their barrels.....I don't get it....Maybe I've just been lucky?!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THT-9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brux Barrels says "You cannot flute a button rifle barrel after it has been made, there is no question about that".

I have to question that statement - why does my current Shilen, button rifled, 8 flute barrel shoot sub 1/4" MOA from 100m to 1K? I have had probably 15 different Shilen barrels over the years that have all been fluted - I've never had a problem with any of them not shooting sub MOA. Shilen themselves will void your warranty if you flute one of their barrels.....I don't get it....Maybe I've just been lucky?! </div></div>

The thing with button barrels is the metal is stressed into place by the button to create the rifling, so if you start removing stress there is a chance of it cascading through the barrel and affecting the rifling or giving it uneven harmonics. I've seen a button barrel that was heavily fluted and the rifling was wavy.

If it's done slowly, with lots of cutting fluid, and with sharp bits, there is much less of a chance of it happening as there is less stress being introduced during each pass of the cutting bit but it could still shift some of the barrel stress lines, but if it's done fast, and the barrel heats up or the bit is dull and "digging" then you've got a recipe for it ruining the rifle.

Roger...I've watched my smith flute and I've fluted a few myself - it is done very slowly so the barrel never heats up...I guess this is the right method for the Button-rifled barrel.

The speed at which you cut the fluting will have a negligible impact on the stress that the cuts relieve. In any case, I don't think anyone could ever intelligently recommend that it be done to a barrel that's already been lapped.

-matt

How come so many have done it on here. Ive read on here and the ones that have done it had no accuracy problems.But i am not hearing from the one that have had accuracy problems.And lots of them have already been lapped before fluting.So that's why i say it has to be more of a matter of opinion.Because no one is saying they have had bad accuracy after words.And iam not talking about the button barrels.Please can some one say they have had accuracy problems after having a barrel fluted.And after final lapping has been done.Please answer the question that i am asking not round about it.Not trying to come across as a ass hole I just want to see how many have had pore accuracy problems after having it fluted.

You are talking millionths of an inch in bore change....about a dozen passes with a lap or some shooting should put it back to square. Would I suggest it on a money maker rifle.....no, would it make enough difference in a hunting class rifle.....no

saw a local gunbuilder take TWO barrels that shot well and had them fluted.......

it fucked the barrels up very bad, same gunbuilder learned a very expensive lesson.

Finally Some one Finally ANSERING MY QUESTION,Who has lost accuracy after they have shootin there gun and then sent it in and had it Fluted and then lost accuracy.

By the way X Ring Accuracy YOU ARE ABSALOUTLY RIGHT,That is what we should do.

For all the people that has checked this thread out i have only one person that has said that they at least now some one that lost accuracy after barrel was fluted.I am thinking in my own opinion there's not that big of a risk of having it done as long as you have a Smith or person that now what he or she is doing.And I know some of you guys are going to go nuts with this.But on all the writings on this subject I have only one person saying they seen it happen.So it cant be all that risky to have it done.Come on i got ONE PERSON out of how many that are on the SnipersHide.Cant be lat risky then.

I would imagine just getting greedy with the pressure on the centers could cause similar heartburn.

No One has sent a good shooting barrel out for fluting.....I have........ had a good shooting 7mag.sub 1/2" MOA...........sent it off to get fluted..... came back.. a 2" MOA gun
FACT not hearsay...........
bill larson

well one person stating an actual experience vs 20 or so who learner from others mistakes, including one barrel maker and a reputable gunsmith, I think its SOUND ADVICE not OPINION. But that's just my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well one person stating an actual experience vs 20 or so who learner from others mistakes, including one barrel maker and a reputable gunsmith, I think its SOUND ADVICE not OPINION. But that's just my opinion. </div></div>

I DID........ see... ABOVE POST..........

bill larson

I used to work for a cut rifle barrel maker.

We had our local 1000 yard shooter come in and want 5 barrels that shoot in recorded matches (some he won) fluted because of a magazine he read.

After they were done only 1 I repeat 1 barrel shot as well as before. We re board the rest and they returned to quality barrels.

As a practice the barrel should be.
Drilled
contoured including flutes
reamed
rifled

That is something I have seen more than once.

If barrels were cheap I wouldn't care

Sorry for the rant.

As part of our barrel qualification process we lead slug every barrel to feel for tight and loose spots. I have now seen lots of barrels, cut and buttoned, including factory that are definitely looser under the flutes and then return to the same size of the unfluted portions. It doesn't seem to hurt hunting or tactical accuracy but it is certainly measurable. For a bench gun the loose one would be rejected. The thing is they don't all do it. I have identical caliber twist profile barrels I ordered from the same maker assumed made the same day and the same guys at each step and one was loose under the flutes and the other super consistent all the way down. Really shallow flutes on big profiles don't have this issue as bad. I now recommend everyone to skip the flutes whenever my opinion is asked for. We can make it look cool other ways and what is cooler than a super accurate rifle anyway?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do it and report. Sounds like you have talked yourself into trying it anyway. JMHO </div></div>

I Was going to have mine Fluted then did a lot of reading now not sher.That's why i was asking who lost accuracy after having it done.Because every thing i read was for it or against it.But no one that was against it was saying they had it done and lost accuracy so i wrote this trying to find out how many did loose accuracy. Then if enuf people did say they lost accuracy then i would go from thereon my decision

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rottenron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally Some one Finally ANSERING MY QUESTION,Who has lost accuracy after they have shootin there gun and then sent it in and had it Fluted and then lost accuracy.

For all the people that has checked this thread out i have only one person that has said that they at least now some one that lost accuracy after barrel was fluted.I am thinking in my own opinion there's not that big of a risk of having it done as long as you have a Smith or person that now what he or she is doing.And I know some of you guys are going to go nuts with this.But on all the writings on this subject I have only one person saying they seen it happen.So it cant be all that risky to have it done.Come on i got ONE PERSON out of how many that are on the SnipersHide.Cant be lat risky then.

</div></div>

what we got here is another brain surgeon on vacation.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Larson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well one person stating an actual experience vs 20 or so who learner from others mistakes, including one barrel maker and a reputable gunsmith, I think its SOUND ADVICE not OPINION. But that's just my opinion. </div></div>

I DID........ see... ABOVE POST..........

bill larson</div></div>

Sorry Bill, you posted at the same exact time I did, therefore I stand corrected. We are up to 3.

A couple of questions for those of you that have seen diminished accuracy in fluted barrels first hand:

a) did you notice a greater amount of accuracy degradation in rifles chambered for loads with higher pressures?

b)did you notice a greater amount of accuracy degradation in rifles chambered for larger caliber vs smaller calibers?

I realize that often the larger calibers will have greater presure, but not absolutely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rottenron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally Some one Finally ANSERING MY QUESTION,Who has lost accuracy after they have shootin there gun and then sent it in and had it Fluted and then lost accuracy.

</div></div>

what we got here is another brain surgeon on vacation.....</div></div>

Come on i know you can come up with a better one than that.Use your Brain.See why you need a brain surgeon were there to help the handy cap.

I was interested in this, as many people's theories have been batted about before, but then I came upon several posts that were somewhat difficult to read. It seems the only reasonable conclusion is that there are better things to spend money on than fluting a finished barrel... Grammar classes come to mind.

You are right Beef I apologize for my bad grammar and to every one. All i wont to do is find out how many did have problem after having it done.

I have flutted most of my personal rifle barrels and never had a problem with accuracy. Alot of problems are created by taklng very heavy cuts during the fluting process. Something I never do. Just my .02, Paul.

I have fluted quite a few after shooting them first without seeing a loss of accuracy on cut barrels. I contour bunches of button barrels after they are completely buttoned and they shoot great.

Its all going to depend on the stress in the material and that's not something you can predict because each piece of steel has its own grain structure and related stress due to the ID machine work regardless of how the rifling is applied. start with something thats shit and its going to be hard to make it better and your not going to know until you know.

Honestly, I think allot of what people think is just that. Not easily proven if not just smoke and mirrors with some sacrificed chickens thrown in for good luck....

So, from reading this it appears the barrel should be fluted prior to rifleing during the manufacturing process?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aojones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, from reading this it appears the barrel should be fluted prior to rifleing during the manufacturing process? </div></div> Yes. Let the barrel maker do it. I see no point in f#cking with a hammer for the sake of cosmetics. My 2 cents.

24" 11.25/1 BROUGHTON fluted from the factory & mounted in a Lawton 7000, fantastic shooter.

I have fluted many barrels without a problem that I am aware of except 1 winchester factory barrel. I believe most barrel makers stress relieve their barrels several times during the process so there shouldn't be any stress in the barrel when you get it. I do flute with plenty of coolant and easy on the removal so as not to induce any stress during the fluting process.
I do think I will try and check that 1 winchester barrel with a lead lap like some did in the previous posts just to see.

Ken
Clearwater Precision

Most of the barrel makers I have spoke to or visited, flute last thing before they leave the plant. I tooled up to do it but decided against doing it. Reason is if I break a tool or blemish a barrel it just cost me at least $320 and 8-20 weeks. If the barrel maker ruins one, it only back up the build a week or two and doesn't cost me anything.