• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Accuracy went out the window !

Savage Mark

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2018
So went to Range yesterday and went to shoot my 6.5x47 at 300 yards . First shot hit bull and subsequent shots went in about a 5-6 in group . WTF ? Last time this gun was shot it was doing 1” at 300 . It was cold so instead of screwing with it I brought out my 6br . First 4 shots were 4-5 inches around the bull . WTF again . I usually shoot free recoil but I was in a panic so I thought maybe I’ll lean into rifle and see what happens . All of a sudden I’m doing 1” groups again . Get the 6.5x47 out again , lean into it and I’m still all over the place . Get 6br back out and with my normal free recoil I’m doing less than an inch again . Now I’m really confused . Both guns are off bench , bald eagle front rest and heavy flat top rear protektor . So then I bring out another 6br but with tactical bipod and I’m shooting half inch groups at 300 . I’m lost ! What do u guys think ? Something loose ?

Thx

Mark

I dont want to be that guy... but,
Reloads? How many down the pipe?
Scope mount or rings coming apart?
Bedding?
Can you have an equally accomplished marksman try it out?
Barreled fouled with molly and copper?
Blahnik blah.

Bedding?
Blahnik blah.

Thx for response . All good ideas . Im hoping it was just something loose on rest . We will see . I’ll go down your checklist and see . It really sucks though going to Range with high hopes and falling flat on your face . Lol

thx

Mark

Bedding?
Blahnik blah.

I thought about copper fouling myself.
But the accuracy went south with 2 different very accurate rifles . That’s why I was thinking the front rest .

Check everything on your rest. After that, on 2 differnt rifles going sideways at the same time, I would say it's on you.
Im guessing rest also due to 3rd rifle shooting half inch group with bipod .

When you do get it figured out, please give us an update. I'm somewhat conversant with what will make a bipod go buggy and start slinging shots; I'm considerably less familiar with troubleshooting a front rest - so I'm curious as to what the culprit actually ends up being. About the only thing I've ever had cause me grief on a front rest was not locking down the main post after a height adjustment(that particular rest had a bit of wobble to it when it wasn't secured properly)j.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
When you do get it figured out, please give us an update. I'm somewhat conversant with what will make a bipod go buggy and start slinging shots; I'm considerably less familiar with troubleshooting a front rest - so I'm curious as to what the culprit actually ends up being. About the only thing I've ever had cause me grief on a front rest was not locking down the main post after a height adjustment(that particular rest had a bit of wobble to it when it wasn't secured properly)j.

Will do . I brought the rest into work tonight and did a complete check on it . Everything seems fine. Being it was so cold out I hurried (mistake) and didn’t do my normal ritual of pounding feet into bench . When I go this Saturday I’ll make sure everything is snug and give it another try . It had to be the rest , because like I said off the tactical bipod I had 4 shots just about touching at 300 yards . I’ll give u an update when I get back Saturday !

Kinda seems like you were just sucking. You were even sucking at sucking because it wasn’t consistent. All kidding aside, take a breather. return with all the same components, and try again. Even the best shooters shank shots, but they’re able to clean it up and get back on track vs doing a death spiral.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
When that happens..... stop shooting, relax and dry fire on the target for 5 minutes, load a mag and watch your accuracy return. Once you start getting flustered you will start making mistakes. Jerking, flinching, not following through, etc... When shooting tiny groups from far away it’s a game of thousandths of an inch. It doesn’t take much at all to mess it up. Ask me how I know.

I forgot one thing on the list though. Stop shooting, relax and dry fire on the target for 5 minutes, load a mag.... then take the front rest and pick it up. Look at the bottom, sides, and top, then lift it above your head and throw it in the trash can ??

When that happens..... stop shooting, relax and dry fire on the target for 5 minutes, load a mag and watch your accuracy return. Once you start getting flustered you will start making mistakes. Jerking, flinching, not following through, etc... When shooting tiny groups from far away it’s a game of thousandths of an inch. It doesn’t take much at all to mess it up. Ask me how I know.

I forgot one thing on the list though. Stop shooting, relax and dry fire on the target for 5 minutes, load a mag.... then take the front rest and pick it up. Look at the bottom, sides, and top, then lift it above your head and throw it in the trash can ??

IN THE TRASH CAN ????? Lmao

Lol ! Where I shoot its F open . Most of us shoot from bench . I’ve always wanted to shoot with tactical bipod off bench but it seems like the heavy rest is more stable and consistent . But the way I was shooting with the tactical bipod off the bench last weekend , I think I might be competitive against the other guys that are using rests . It’s a tactical 6BR , 28” Shilen and man does it shoot !

Lol. All in fun. But seriously, throw it in the trash can ?

I know it’s in fun , and actually most guys on here use bipods and not front rests. I wish I could shoot prone with a bipod , but I’m almost 60 and have degenerative arthritis in my neck so I’d look pretty silly trying to shoot while I’m screaming in pain ! Lol
And just an FYI , The 2 current records at our range have been set with heavy front rests off the bench .

I know it’s in fun , and actually most guys on here use bipods and not front rests. I wish I could shoot prone with a bipod , but I’m almost 60 and have degenerative arthritis in my neck so I’d look pretty silly trying to shoot while I’m screaming in pain ! Lol
And just an FYI , The 2 current records at our range have been set with heavy front rests off the bench .
I’ll believe that for sure. And hey, any way you can get on the gun and shoot go for it!

Really though when that happens step back and dry fire a bit. I had to do just that the other day. 2 really accurate rifles and neither were shooting like they were supposed to. Shook it off and dry fired a few times and all was back to normal.

I’ll believe that for sure. And hey, any way you can get on the gun and shoot go for it!

Really though when that happens step back and dry fire a bit. I had to do just that the other day. 2 really accurate rifles and neither were shooting like they were supposed to. Shook it off and dry fired a few times and all was back to normal.

This is what’s telling me it was the rest . This 4 shot group is with the tactical 6br and bipod off the bench . I shot this directly after shooting my 6” groups off the rest . 4 shots that measure .5 .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 34
I feel your pain. There for a while, I thought I was losing my mind - my precision, hand-crafted-with-care loads for my match 12 FTR .308 rifle would shoot erratically, frequently with *lots* of vertical... while my 'casual' loads for my 12 LRP 6.5CM and 10FP-SR .308 would shoot nice, consistent groups. Maybe not quite as good as the 'best' I could do with the match gun, but they didn't do any weird $hit and open up sporadically like what you're seeing either - the match gun *did*.

It was a very long and painful period there... which finally, magically, got 'fixed' by new brass. Brandy new, virgin brass.

The post-mortem analysis pointed to my annealing process had gone awry at some point, for a variety of reasons, and the neck tension on my 'match' ammo was all over the freaking place, varying from one group to the next. The 'casual' ammo never got annealed... so it was all good (relatively speaking).

There's a lot of little fine-tuning things that we sometimes do - annealing, neck-turning, meplat uniforming and pointing, etc. that can definitely do some good - if done correctly. But done wrong... they can also drive you insane trying to figure out why your 'better' ammo *isn't*.

Not sure if any of that applies to your specific situation, but it might be worth considering if the problem keeps recurring and nothing else makes sense.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
How long has that rifle been sitting in the safe? Any chance some rust may have gotten into that barrel? This was an issue with one of mine. No idea how it happened - maybe hunting. Cleaned the crap out of it and she's still banging. That was at 1200 rounds.

Rests are overrated, if its not a heavy bench FClass, with squared off front stock ect. You wont get consistent resets. Stick with the bipod.

Rests are overrated, if its not a heavy bench FClass, with squared off front stock ect. you wont get consistent resets. Stick with the bipod.

I think a lot of people would disagree with you ! And it is a 3” flat bottom stock meant for 3” bag .

Did you get to reshoot your rifle? How did it go? And if you suck at sucking does that mean your blowing?

Ok ! I still suck . Didn’t suck as bad as 2 weeks ago , but still suck . I have another idea what’s going on . I normally shoot free recoil and I think I’m not paying attention and feathering rifle a little too much . Here is a 5 shot 300 yard group from when I first got the 6.5x47 . I have to get back there somehow .

Attachments

• 446E65CB-1145-451B-B0D0-DA370CD3A335.jpeg
    446E65CB-1145-451B-B0D0-DA370CD3A335.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
If you really want to get frustrated with your setup, npa, follow-through, etc then try your gear with a 22lr. You will find more problems than you imagined possible. I've learned more with one in the last year than ever before; not perfect but improved.

I know it's late to the party, but I always take spare factory ammo to have as a baseline to compare if this happens. Things can happen when reloading like you get tired or misread the scales. Also, dont be embarrassed to ask someone nearby to take a shot or two just to eliminate yourself just having a bad day or something. Have them observe you taking a few shots also, maybe with one gun you are flinching or tensing up and the other gun, you are past that point and are more relaxed.

I know it's late to the party, but I always take spare factory ammo to have as a baseline to compare if this happens. Things can happen when reloading like you get tired or misread the scales. Also, dont be embarrassed to ask someone nearby to take a shot or two just to eliminate yourself just having a bad day or something. Have them observe you taking a few shots also, maybe with one gun you are flinching or tensing up and the other gun, you are past that point and are more relaxed.

Thank you CNC DUDE ! Just thought u would find it funny that I’m a supervisor of a CNC Aerospace machine shop ! Lol .
I’ve asked many guys to shoot my guns when I think something is wrong . Definitely nothing to be embarrassed about . Just had my barrel re reamed and it made a big difference . Also I think it helped with Sierra accuracy load . Now if I can just do my part .

Last edited:
Thank you CNC DUDE ! Just thought u would find it funny that I’m a supervisor of a CNC Aerospace machine shop ! Lol .
I’ve asked many guys to shoot my guns when I think something is wrong . Definitely nothing to be embarrassed about . Just had my barrel re reamed and it made a big difference . Also I think it helped with Sierra accuracy load . Now if I can just do my part .
It's always good to see other like minded people here with other interests that are the same!

Lol. All in fun. But seriously, throw it in the trash can ?

I shot this 5 shot 300 yard group off a heavy rest and Beefed the rifle to 24 pounds . Would be hard to duplicate with tactical bipod . At least for me it would be .

Attachments

• 2E2DEC80-DECA-4852-86C8-01523792B1DA.jpeg
    2E2DEC80-DECA-4852-86C8-01523792B1DA.jpeg
    343 KB · Views: 32
So went to Range yesterday and went to shoot my 6.5x47 at 300 yards . First shot hit bull and subsequent shots went in about a 5-6 in group . WTF ? Last time this gun was shot it was doing 1” at 300 . It was cold so instead of screwing with it I brought out my 6br . First 4 shots were 4-5 inches around the bull . WTF again . I usually shoot free recoil but I was in a panic so I thought maybe I’ll lean into rifle and see what happens . All of a sudden I’m doing 1” groups again . Get the 6.5x47 out again , lean into it and I’m still all over the place . Get 6br back out and with my normal free recoil I’m doing less than an inch again . Now I’m really confused . Both guns are off bench , bald eagle front rest and heavy flat top rear protektor . So then I bring out another 6br but with tactical bipod and I’m shooting half inch groups at 300 . I’m lost ! What do u guys think ? Something loose ?

Thx

Mark

Guys on SH always get pissed at me when I say this, but it sounds like this is the reason I switched to large primer brass for the 6x47L.

I would suggest that you get your hands on some 6XC cases and run them through your 6x47L Sizing die. You can even use 22-250 but the first firing is just to blow the side wall back out.

My guess is your large primer groups will settle right down .

38 grains of powder is alot for a small primer on a cold day in January... been sayin it for 10 years or more.