• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy with a .22LR.

FranckB

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2011
Belgium.
Hi, I'm new to this forum and my English could be a bit strange (as I live in Belgium and I usually speak French).
Yesterday, I tried to zero my Browning A-Bolt with Winchester SX22LR, a have a few boxes in a drawer. The results are very bad, with groups up to 4 inches at 50 m. I have the same results with Remington bullets (high speed, too).
It is possible that I could be responsible for that, though my groups with a .300 WinMag at 100 m are very nice, but I wonder if a subsonic bullet could do a better job. What do you think ?

Re: Accuracy with a .22LR.

it could be you, but as you also said with the 300 winny your good with groups, so let's assume it's not you. but mostly as mentioned above it's and ammo issue, and the subsonic / match velocity stuff will probably do you better.

the A bolt isn't a "cheapie" rifle, so it's most likely not that.

after checking to make sure the optic isn't loose (rings, bases)or even worse optic broke and not holding a zero, i'd go with picking an ammo the browning may "like", and Wolf extra match or match target seems to be the ammo to start with as it performs well in almost every rifle. you can experiment from there.

you could some stuff here too
22 ammo threads

This is likely a scope issue. 4" at 55 yards is a lot... I would check the scope out first. If you can't find anything wrong, go ahead and try a different ammo (I doubt you will see it go from 4" to 1" because of ammo, but it is worth a shot). If neither of those work out, take it to a gunsmith.

How many rounds do you have through your rifle? I have seen a lot of rimfires take a couple hundred rounds through them to settle down and shoot well....having said that, as others stated 4" at 50m is a pretty poor, and the rifles I have seen do better after a qty of rounds get fired, were shooting maybe 1-1.5" and settled down to around a 1/2".

I also would check your stock action screws, this is the number one thing other than optics I have seen cause confusion on poor accuracy with quality components.

Good luck!

Thank you all. I'll check my scope with another gun, about the screws I'm sure they're ok, I checked them just before I shot. And I'll buy different boxes to see if one make is better than another, well if my gun prefers one rather than another.

Rem510group.jpg
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FranckB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The results are very bad, with groups up to 4 inches at 50 m.
</div></div>

My good 22s will shoot .5" average 5 shot groups at 50 m or 50y.

That is hunting ammo, not target ammo.

I'd say it's something wrong with the firearm.

Or, if the rifle distorts the bullets in any way shape or form these erratic groups you are getting could be very easily attained. Like if the tip of the bullet gets smashed on the feed ramp or the magazine shaves a but off of the bullets nose. Alot can happen to those tiny fragile exposed lead bullets. Have you tried carefully loading it like a single shot?

Your scope could be way off too. Like the internal mechanizms are screwed up or your mounting devices could be loose too. Mine were loose for a while and this cause incredible amounts of horizonatal stringing at 50 yards. Check to make sure everything is nice and snug, and then switch scopes. If it's still acting screy, single feed that baby. After that there are still a few things that could be at fault but then you have to get a smith involved probably...

Everything that was told you are good recommendations. Check the scope and the action screws for correct torque. Does the bolt lock up tight with a round chambered? Is the crown damaged? Ever drop the rifle hard really hard? Try single loading.
You can try different ammo too. But 4 inches is hugh. Gunsmith is costly but a last resort. Brownings are quality and shoot well.

Good luck and wishing you the best from here in the USA!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NorthEastWinter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ou ce'tait un mal cartouche.... mon francais est tress mal aussi... lol </div></div>
lol your French isn't <span style="font-style: italic">that </span>bad
smile.gif