• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

accuracy with pulled bullets

srt-4_uk

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2011
Nebraska
I was just wondering of those that shoot pulled M118 bullets, how do they shoot for you? The ones with the heavy pull marks (or crimp marks, I cant really tell) get separated.

Also, has anyone tested their accuracy loads with normal primers VS. match primers?

Re: accuracy with pulled bullets

For starters I only have access to a 300 yard range at this time so i'm sure i'm not going to being able to give you the best advice but, Pulled bullets, I have the 175SMK, some have heavy marks, loaded with 43gr Varget in LC Match cases, Win LR Primers, I cannot tell the difference shot out of my Rem 700 or my Armalite AR10 but i'll bet someone who has a longer range cam tell a difference. I just use them for practice and get new stuff for competition.
I tried the CCI Bench primers once and never saw a difference so never messed with any again.

It all depends on how the bullet was originally seated. Was the mouth deburred correctly? If these are out of a factory round they most likely have some damage so you would be better off just shooting them as they are loaded. Most factory ammo that uses 175 smk will produce good accuracy to begin with so there is no need for pulling and altering the load. If you have a line on getting some already pulled bullets, I would stay away inless they are a very good deal. As stated in the post above I dobut you will see any major accuracy loss at short range 100yd-200yd. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. There is always more than 1 way to skin a cat!

Also is it 118LR (175g) or 118SB (173g), b/c the 118LR is VERY good ammo and will be hard to improve on. You may get better accuracy by tayloring the load to your rifle but it may hammer the way it is. I would just shoot it.

Now on a side note if you have a chamber set up for 118LR I have heard of a bit more consistancy by seating the bullet like .005"-.010" deeper and all you are doing is breaking the seal on the sealer that is put on the ammo at time og mfg.

I was asking because I bought a bunch already pulled bullets and I was going to use them to develop a load. I loaded about 20 rounds over 42gr of Varget to get my scope sighted in. Took about 5 shots to get it all sighted in so I figured I would use the remaining shots to try to group at 100yds. I couldnt get them to group that well so I thought it could be the bullets.

Is that something to worry about or should I just try to ladder test them next time I go out?

I bought 1,000 of the pulled 175gr. I shot them along with factory new to 700yds on steel, and could not tell the difference. For the price they are good enough for my needs. Wish I could find more.

I've ever pulled my own bullets and kept them marked as such. Always seems like they don't shoot as well at 600 yards as the virgins - but this has never been a "blind" test. Good chance I'm psyching myself out.

Being the bullet is an interference fit in the bore, and the bullet is forced to obturate into the bore, and then slides 20-30" along it, I HIGHLY doubt you could tell the difference between a virgin bullet and pulled bullet if you could snatch each out of the air downrange before they hit anything. The "scratches" I leave on my bullets from seating are NOT deep... .0002-.0003" at worst. Almost undetectable with a fingernail.

Bought several thousand of these pulled M118LR bullets years ago. I separate the ones with HEAVY pull marks(for load development,chronoing,and sub velocity loads for my kids) and then shoot the rest just like factory firsts.

I still load fresh from the box 175SMKs for important stuff though......Even though I'm certain it's just a mental difference.

TJR

I bought some of the pulled 175 SMK's from RMR. I'm very new to the 308, so I don't trust myself to get the last little bit from my rifle yet.

I shot a ten round group at 100 yards with them that was 1.2, opened up to 1.7 with a flyer.

A 5 round group was .6 with a flyer opening it up to 1.

Both vertical spreads were under .5, so I believe it was me pulling one and not reading wind well. This is a learning curve from the .22...

All the bullets look good with light pull marks, were packaged well, and shipped promptly.

I have tried pulling bullets with an inertia puller, and with a collet puller. These are from rounds that I have loaded, and I use a steep angle (VLD I think) inside de-burring tool. Usually accuracy with non-pulled bullets is around .65-.85MOA. Overall accuracy is around .9-1.25 MOA with the pulled bullets.

This usually doesn't show up at 100 yards, but becomes noticeable at the 300 yard line. I use pulled bullets for practice. But then, I usually go through 200 rounds at each range session, so they really are useful.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at them if the price was right.

I had worked up a load with new 175gr SMKs and Win 748 trying for that one hole 5 shot group at 100yds and got pretty close. Substituted pulled 175gr SMKs from 118LR for new and kept everything else the same, and finally got my 1 hole 5 shot group at 100yds. I can't tell any difference at 600yds either, and if I do miss I have an excuse. They are pulled bullits.

bring this back to life......anyone have pictures of groups pulled vs factory?