• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accurate mag first round issue

larrystine

Suffers from projectile dysfunction
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2013
I recently bought an accurate mag to try the first round out of a ten round mag(no binder plate),is a bear to strip out. The second is a good deal better but, the mag doesn't strip rounds out smooth until the 8th round. I'm running a terminus with a KRG bravo. Standard mag catch. Has anyone else seen this issue. And if so did it improve in time as the spring weakens. Thanks

I recently bought an accurate mag to try the first round out of a ten round mag(no binder plate),is a bear to strip out. The second is a good deal better but, the mag doesn't strip rounds out smooth until the 8th round. I'm running a terminus with a KRG bravo. Standard mag catch. Has anyone else seen this issue. And if so did it improve in time as the spring weakens. Thanks

Yes, I've had that same exact issue with MDT steel magazines. My first solution was to order more Alpha Industries mags which feed smooth as silk from the first round to the last. My second solution, after finding out that Alpha appears to be out of business, is to buy more AICS PMAGs.

You can debur the feed lips with a file. It will keep them from scratching your brass too

Reactions: Milo 2.5
You can debur the feed lips with a file. It will keep them from scratching your brass too
This, or emery cloth, remove the sharper edge in contact with the round. I also push the top rd as far forward as I can get away with too.

I used a ceramic file when I first noticed it, made an improvement but not by much. Mainly wondering if this is normal. I am going to give the magpul aics a go. Aw mags are super smooth but I get concerned using them at a match. They are so finicky and I worry about the mag lips getting jacked.

Take the mag apart and look at the follower. Run your finger around the edges of the follower, the tops in particular. Maybe deburr the edges with fine sandpaper. Mine run much better after having done that.

Making some slight adjustments to the feed lips so the round sits slightly nose high so it has an easier transition into the chamber will help.
Or find some Alpha mags, I only have two but they get used about the same amount of time as my AICS mags.

I have ran the accurate 6.5 stamped mags with no issues for the last 5 or so years with no issues. Used to feed a Tikka in a XLR element chassis and a manners T6A with grayboe bottom metal.

That same mag trying to feed my buddies savage hated a full 10 rounds in the mag. That was in the mdt ess chassis.

I used a ceramic file when I first noticed it, made an improvement but not by much. Mainly wondering if this is normal. I am going to give the magpul aics a go. Aw mags are super smooth but I get concerned using them at a match. They are so finicky and I worry about the mag lips getting jacked.
All mags have their little quirks, I've found. Magpul AICS mags may vomit rounds into the action if seated with too much gusto. This has happened to me at a match a while back, and I saw it happen to a shooter at a match over the weekend. I was using a RPR. She had a rifle in an MDT chassis.

Last edited:
Making some slight adjustments to the feed lips so the round sits slightly nose high so it has an easier transition into the chamber will help.

That's not his problem. It's the shape and roughness of the feed lips creating excessive drag on the cartridge. I've had the same exact problem with another brand of metal AICS mags.

That's not his problem. It's the shape and roughness of the feed lips creating excessive drag on the cartridge. I've had the same exact problem with another brand of metal AICS mags.

I only have one magazine that was rough and needed some polishing.
None of my AI or Alpha mags really neeďed it but I bought a 5 round Accurate mag that I polished on quite a bit with 800 grit sand paper and green scotch bright as well as adjusting the feed lips.
It's pretty smooth now.

Reactions: 308pirate
IMO it has nothing to do with the feed lips. It’s almost like it’s a 9 round mag and stuffing in a 10th binds it up. I have 2 that I use in my 260 that do the same thing.

Thats it exactly it feels like it was never intended to hold 10 rounds.

Reactions: Dill
And it’s a bitch getting that 10th round in, even on mags that are over a year old and used weekly.

Reactions: larrystine